What's new

Amazon Feud with Disney, Warner (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Amazon still not listing Disney or Warner titles. For many of us, this is a big deal. Like many of you, I'm an Amazon Prime member specifically to get blu-ray releases on release day.

I found this article (4/7/17) suggesting the fault is with Amazon, which according to the article wants a bigger piece of the blu-ray purchase price.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/04/update-home-video-war-disney-amazon/

If anyone has further updates, please post them here.

Reactions: PMF

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I wonder if Disney is not losing money here as the article claims. I'm sure there are customers marginally interested in newer titles and who do their video shopping only at Amazon, especially Prime members with free shipping. If a title isn't essential, at least some of them will move on.

Interesting this issue is only affecting Blu-rays, and not the DVD editions.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It only affects the new title none of which are marginal titles. How many people who want Rogue One, Moana, Doctor Strange or Pinocchio are going to do without when it just as easy to pick it up B&M or a different online.

It might affect the late January/Feb animated re-releases (Fox and the Hound, Lilo, Pocahontas, Mulan, Princess and the Frog), , but those are aimed mostly at parents who don't seem to be the most likely candidates to be Amazon or not-at-all people. I suspect the Marvel/SW release might be more that type and most of them are rabid enough fans they'll get over it and get it anyway. With SW having the 2 special exclusives it makes Amazon irrelevant for those buyers anyway.

Assuming Amazon wants 10% more of Disney slice of the sales price, how many additional units would Amazon have to push to make Disney break even especially if a lot of those buying from alternative retailers would have opted for Amazon.

Other than some international customers I just don't see that many Disney customers not buying because of lack of Amazon.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
This isn't the first time Disney and Amazon have had this dispute. The sad part is that Amazon punishes their customers as their main tactic. That's not appreciated on my part, so it's the primary reason I've quit pre-ordering Blu-rays from Amazon and instead use other retailers.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My suspicion is that at least part of the dispute is over long term pricing, or at least, Amazon's contractual ability to set pricing. Movies from every studio frequently have drastic price drops after they're no longer new releases. But Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Lucasfilm titles never seem to get those kinds of discounts even if it would seem appropriate based on what comparable films are priced at. I can buy the 3D disc of Gravity from 2013 for like $10, but the 3D disc for Iron Man 3 is still like $30.

I think Amazon wants to get the best prices for its customers and when they're not able to discount Disney titles the way every other studio's product gets discounted, maybe they see that as a problem. And maybe it's less of a problem for places like Target and Walmart who aren't stocking these titles for life but mostly just during their new release period when everyone charges about the same anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised that there are a lot of pieces to the puzzle besides that of course. All pure speculation. I just don't trust a Disney site saying it's not Disney as being the final word.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As I indicated in the title, its not just Disney titles, it's Warner titles too. Look up The Lego Batman movie or season sets of any of the DC shows (Flash, Arrow, etc.) and you'll see the same thing.

The fact that it is two studios suggests to me the fault is with Amazon.

I wrote to Amazon and told them that as a Prime member, I want access to these titles, and the ability to pre-order. We'll see if they respond.

Moreover, your example would be relevant if the dispute involved catalog titles (Gravity, Iron Man 3) but it only seems to involve new titles - pre-orders, specifically.

Last edited:

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Interesting what is happening, since there is no problem up here in Canada with Amazon.ca I just checked to see.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am biased AGAINST Amazon since I am friends with many small business owners who struggle not carrying anything on Amazon's site because walk-in customers Google items in the store, and none of these owners--folks simply trying to clothe their children--can compete with Amazon's price points.

In my opinion you have two big bullies here (Amazon and Disney) who are both accustomed to getting their way.

Last edited:

breeezer

Agent
Real Name
Bryce
Indeed. I think this is karma. When I was young, my father owned a small-town movie theater, and Disney demanded a higher percentage of the gross for their pictures than any other movie studio--because they were Disney. What goes around, comes around.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Indeed. I think this is karma. When I was young, my father owned a small-town movie theater, and Disney demanded a higher percentage of the gross for their pictures than any other movie studio--because they were Disney. What goes around, comes around.

The theatre company I worked for went out of business with Disney twice over the film terms. Both times they caved. The last time they set up independents in major markets were we were the only exhibitors. When they caved and started doing business with us again, they left those indepents out to dry in a heart beat. I have no love for Disney practices even today.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Disney again wants a higher percentage than the other studios, at least I know that this is what they do in Germany with small cinemas and their most successful movies.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I was curious why rogue one was unavailable through Amazon!
I have the lego batman movie on preorder from Amazon and just checked the listing. It now shows unavailable.
I am a prime customer but may switch to target for batman. I'll wait for the $5 gift card that target does with most preorders.
I picked up rogue one at barnes and nobles last week.

I am a prime member as well.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
The good thing is most folks can easily find these titles at all their local stores like WM, Target, BB, and dozens of other retailers usually. Many price match so you can also save some $$ as well. Best part, is you can have the discs they day you decide you want them, not days later.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If anyone is a Prime member and this is important to you, I encourage you to send a note to Amazon and tell them you'd like to be able to pre-order Disney and Warner blu-rays to have them on release day. I sent a note saying that, and that I'm a Prime member. I got a very thoughtful response, although it was non-committal, of course. It simply said the appropriate people would be notified and they'd do their best to work it out.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
66645277.jpg

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Here in Canada, we don't seem to have day of release delivery. On occasion when I have used the Canadian service, I wait up to a week later, while seeing my discs in every store I pass.
I order catalogue titles and CDs (no cd stores anymore!) of broadway shows from Amazon.com and have them delivered to my US postal box.
I use Amazon.ca for investigating pricing. I'd rather pay 5 cents more at Costco or Best Buy which are just down the street for the latest blu ray releases.
Many things on the Canadian site are labeled "imports" and are priced 3X higher.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I guess this doesn't affect the Warner Archive titles because Ride the High Country was listed immediately (pre-order in fact).

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I see where Wal-Mart just added free two day shipping with no membership fee.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Here in Canada, we don't seem to have day of release delivery. On occasion when I have used the Canadian service, I wait up to a week later, while seeing my discs in every store I pass.

I almost always have my discs arrive from Amazon Canada on the day they're released (and, in the case of Mildred Pierce, even early), and I don't even have a Prime membership.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks