What's new

Alien: 5 Star Edition? Can this be true? (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
If you havent checked out the Bits awesome coming soon DVD write up check it out here: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
lots of good news in there. But what shocked me was that Fox is planning a 5 Star edition to Alien! Good thing I never picked that disc up, but what about Aliens??? That one deserves a 5 Star Edition also and have both the theatrical and directors cut on it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5-star version of Aliens at some point. There's plenty of material that didn't get ported from the earlier LD special edition to the current DVD. But Lightstorm would have to be heavily involved, and they probably have their hands full with the True Lies 5-star version and the rumored special edition of Titanic (both titles mentioned by the Bits).
M.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I'll buy a 5-Star Alien if they slip that Alien Legacy documentary on there. Otherwise, it's hard to see how they could really top the first one, unless they round up a bunch of other folks (actors, Walter Hill, Dan O'Bannon, Giger) for commentaries.
But of course, for anyone who hasn't picked up the earlier disc, this will be a must-own.
--Jefferson Morris

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
This would have to be one heck of a DVD for me to rebuy it. I already have the Alien Legacy Collection, and the extras on Alien are excellent, as are the A/V quality. I'm very pleased with what I have, but if the new 5-star edition is the greatest DVD ever put together I might buy it.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Todd N

Grip
I don't really know that I'll Re-purchase Alien, either. What else could they possibly put on it? The 20 ann. edition is pretty awesome, but if they've done more, I might check it out.
Peace...
One
------------------
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Alien is my favorite Sci-fi movie. If there is a 5 star coming, I'll re-buy it.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon

A Mark Kermode hosted doc on all the films was shown in the UK recently (he did the ones for Exorcist, French Connection and the upcoming Blade Runner) so expect it on any new Alien DVD.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
There is a LOT of text-based supplementary material from the earlier LD set that didn't make it to the 20th Anniversary DVD, as well as a number of behind-the-scenes clips; that's why I've held on to my LD set, though the film itself on it has become kind of redundant.
I know Charlie de Lauzirika has said that he wanted to put more on the disc, but was held back by the powers-that-be at Fox at the time (pre-Peter Staddon).
If this is somehow integrated into the new version, I'd be interested.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Is there any word on the exact content of the Alien 5-Star edition? I've done some searching on the net, but haven't found any information as to what will be added.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard anything substantial about a re-release on any website, the 25th anniversary will be in 2004, maybe then? The sound was a disappointment, hope it's sorted for the SE.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I thought the transfer was ok on Alien (maybe really good when it first came out), but the sound was hollow and harsh in some parts.

I think this movie is crying for a five star edition.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
*Could swear the FOX 5-Star Edition of ALIEN was due out this year...?

Also, dont know where, but I am sure I read that Scott wants to go back and retinker with ALIEN (add the deleted scenes, or better yet, still unseen footage?) for a 25th Anniversary rerelease to theaters in 2004.

This could all be BS, but I am sure I remember reading it somewhere.

But since he has done the same with LEGEND, BLADE RUNNER, and is redoing yet another SE of THELMA & LOUISE, I would not doubt it.

As for extras on the new disc...

I didnt really think the ALIEN bonus disc was anything that special. They could reduce that down to 20 mins. There were lots of unused photos and text material on the LD set...also I wrote to Charles D. asking for a supplement devoted exclusively to the workings of the NOSTROMO/REFINERY, and he indicated that is something they would really like to do, but had no room on the previous DVD. So heres hoping...

and for me, also, ALIEN is my hands-down favorite of the whole series..

Joe D

Supporting Actor
In the Hannibal Insert for the DVD, Ridley States that the current version of Alien is his director's cut. Personally I feel that Alien is fine the way it is.

As for a new edition, sure, it's a good enough movie.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Count me in, I'll buy it. I'm a big fan of the first two movies. If they let Fincher do a D.C. on Alien³, I'll buy.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I am betting that the only thing different in the 5-star edition will be the inclusion of the Alien Legacy documentary that was a limited run to the box set and not everyone got it. But this is just a guess.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Joshua, I hope you are correct. I procrastinated to the point of not sending away for the Alien Legacy. It's my fault for sure, but I would like to own for completeness' sake.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I have 3 copies of Alien on video, the CAV deluxe Laser Disc, the Dolby Digital LD and the DVD. I even sent away for the Alien Legacy DVD. I'm pretty sure I have everything I need to have the complete Alien experience. I don't think I'll be buying a new edition, no matter what it has (or doesn't have).

Regarding a possible new edition, I seriously doubt that it will have the isolated music, as this feature seems to be dissapearing. Universal removed the isolated score last year when they released the "Ultimate" edition of The Mummy. Apparently bootleggers like to take these complete scores and sell them on CD. If the studios are so concerned about this, then they should just release the music on CD.

I'd also be surprised if the Alien Legacy documentary and all of the original text from the laserdisc would be included. The five star discs seem to have a lot of new material on them, and do not seem to be simple "ports" of old LD's. Of course these should be in a five star for it to be complete. Anything else is a rip off.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks