What's new

Alien: 5 Star Edition? Can this be true? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
... they seriously screwed up the sound on the previous release (where's the bass gone?), the LD reissue sounded much better.
I, too, found the sound terrible. It sounded very hollow, flat, and harsh. A remastered 5.1 DD/DTS track would be quite nice if done properly.

I think the video transfer could use more work, as well - but at least it's more acceptable.

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Well I dont think I'd repurchase. I mean pretty much all they could do is slap the 5-star lable on it, the disc is already damn good. An Aliens 5-star I would get, they could add some more suff to it. It kinda pisses me off really, why remake an already great DVD, I mean their doing that with T2:Ultimate Edition, basically their doing that as a gimmick to coincide with the T3 release, it's ridiculous.

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
Caught a 2 hour show on AMC last night called Alien Saga which was very good. Did anyone else catch this? Is this Alien Evolution re-named or is it an entirely different beast?
I saw that too, it made me want to go out and buy the current Alien disk, which i haven't gotten around to buy yet. Now, i guess i'll have to wait. I wonder if this "Alien Saga" documentary is on one of these mentioned disks. Truly one of the greatest science fiction films of all time.

I doubt they will mess with the original film that much, maybe adding some of the deleted scenes back in, although Scott explained why he left him out in the AMC documentary. I'm sure they will improve the picture and sound quality of the current disk, though probably not by much, but theres usually always room for improvement.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Also, is there any new info regarding Alien & Aliens 5 star releases?
Well, I was speaking to one of my really good sources in Los Angeles a little over a week ago and found out more about this set. The guy who told me about this is certainly in a position to know. He's been right on everything else he's let me know before, so I don't think he's lying about this. Anyway, here's what I'm told are the basics
-Nine disc box set. Each 5-star edition will be 2 discs plus one extra bonus disc.
-The bonus disc will not be The Alien Legacy. He says there are some sort of legal problems with the original producers that are keeping this from being included.
-There will be DTS tracks on all 4 films
-Aliens will feature both the theatrical cut and the extended version via seamless branching. Lightstorm is involved with this, so expect it to be similar to The Abyss in terms of layout and features.
-OK, here was the shocker for me. Alien 3 will include a David Fincher-approved recut of the film. It sounds almost too good to be true, but this guy has never let me down before.
The DTS tracks and the Fincher-cut of Alien 3 make this set a sale for me. Without those, I'd probably stick with my current versions. I could care less about the theatrical cut of Aliens.
Jeff

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
will include a David Fincher-approved recut of the film. It sounds almost too good to be true, but this guy has never let me down before.
spot_party.gif

Brad HP

Agent
The last 2 days, AMC has been showing a documentary called the Alien Saga which covers the four films and is running 2:15 minutes with commercials. The majority of the focus is on the first 2 films but there is a good bit on the other two. Overall, includes interviews with many of key participants and is quite interesting. I believe that the actual running time without commercials is approximately 1:53. I was able to copy it onto a DVD RAM using my Panasonic E30. If you are a fan of the series, definitely worth watching. I'm not sure if it is the same doc as the Alien Evolution mentioned above. I'll have to check the credits.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
I just picked up Alien and Aliens AC-3 THX lasers. I too wanted to own the theatrical cut of Aliens.

I just watched Alien Resurrection DTS laserdisc - looks and sounds beautiful. Reference quality laserdisc for sure.

Now, if they do release 5-stars of the Alien movies, I'll definitely be picking them up if they have DTS on them. Sure, they'll be half assed DTS, but it's better than nothing I suppose. I was pissed when the DTS lasers were canned years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks