What's new

A question for Mr. Belston or Mr Finn (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Finn said:
yes. He was awesome to work with and is really excited to talk about the transfers. Maybe we can do a chat on HTF with him....
Thank you for that!
I have bought both of these titles in their deluxe Laserdisc box sets, and again on DVD. I never forget how he talked about a 3 hour version of "Roses" that he "swore he could have released" The deleted scenes we have had to date back that up, and the film works longer. Hopefully if we don't have a longer cut there are at least some new materials there.
I remember Roses was also closer to 1.66 so a new transfer at a full 1.85 will be great, and of course Hoffa is amazing. The transitions he devised have been influential to me as a filmmaker.
Hope the Chat with Mr. DeVito comes to pass!

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/60#post_3965128
Thank you for that!
I have bought both of these titles in their deluxe Laserdisc box sets, and again on DVD. I never forget how he talked about a 3 hour version of "Roses" that he "swore he could have released" The deleted scenes we have had to date back that up, and the film works longer. Hopefully if we don't have a longer cut there are at least some new materials there.
I remember Roses was also closer to 1.66 so a new transfer at a full 1.85 will be great, and of course Hoffa is amazing. The transitions he imagined were always very influential to me as a filmmaker.
Hope the Chat with Mr. DeVito comes to pass!
I'm sure he would be delighted with your enthusiam. If Ron and Adam really do read all these posts, maybe they'll contact me to coordinate.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Mr. Finn, thank you for such quick turnaround on answers, stoked about everthing in the works, looking forward to all of them, i know that this is in the film section, but is ther any plans for any of the classic TV series controlled by FOX or MGM? maybe Outer Limits, or Night Stalker/Night Strangler Telefilms

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
I also want to thank you, Mr. Finn, for your involvement in this thread. One question; are there any plans to release some of the films, besides Laura, from Fox's Film Noir Collection that were released a few years back on DVD? I bought every single movie in that series. It would be great to have these on Blu-Ray.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Thanks again, sir, for sharing all of this information with us.
How about some pre-Code titles, chiefly THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE? MoMA has a restored print made from the original nitrate elements, which looks great and which I was lucky enough to see with a packed house in their To Save and Project Series a couple years back.
Also, what about the early Spencer Tracy films made when he was a contract player at Fox? QUICK MILLIONS and POWER AND THE GLORY are especially important.
From the enigmatic Rowland Brown: QUICK MILLIONS and BLOOD MONEY?
Featuring Clara Bow: CALL HER SAVAGE and the recently restored HOOP-LA?
From Raoul Walsh: THE BOWERY and SAILOR'S LUCK?
But, really, any and all Fox pre-Code titles are welcome! :)
Film Forum did a "Fox Before the Code" series several years back...any of those films, some of which are listed above, would be great to have on disc, whether Blu-ray or DVD! The restored TEMPLE DRAKE, in particular, with its Karl Struss photography, would be lovely on Blu, however.

DevinTretiak

Auditioning
Real Name
Devin Tretiak
Any chance of Fox or Criterion releasing new blu editions of some of the cult films in the FOX library? I was thinking of Phantom of the Paradise and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls in particular. Two of my favorites.
Thanks

adklz

Agent
Real Name
jim
Thank you for answering. I'll be looking forward to "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"
If you are also answering questions regarding MGM films released by Fox perhaps you could tell us if we'll ever see a blu-ray of "Hawaii" preferably in the 188 minute version.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Some support for the glorious Sharon Tate in Valley of the Dolls, the great Ernest Borgnine in The Best Things In Life Are Free, The Flight of the Phoenix and Emperor of the North, the equally great (in another sense) Russ Meyer and co in Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and yes -- All That Jazz (with the Roy Scheider audio commentary, please!)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I bought a blu from england of Fox Prince Valiant - same print used for the stand dvd here a long time ago.
Quality not good. any chance of restoration of this film and release on blu here in the states?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Brian McP /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/90#post_3965541
Some support for the glorious Sharon Tate in Valley of the Dolls, the great Ernest Borgnine in The Best Things In Life Are Free, The Flight of the Phoenix and Emperor of the North, the equally great (in another sense) Russ Meyer and co in Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and yes -- All That Jazz (with the Roy Scheider audio commentary, please!)

Is there a widescreen master available for The Best Things in Life Are Free? I seem to remember a widescreen laserdisc being advertised (I never saw it), but the Fox Movie Channel only plays a wretched pan and scan 4:3 version of the movie which I refuse to watch.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'll never understand why Fox region locked The Robe Blu, & then only released it in America, they must have missed out on so many sales!
Oh, & the Flint's please. And in good rich colour, esp. In Like Flint, a favorite movie of mine....& Austin Powers!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
2nd for Emperor of the North and is MGM/Fox working on another little Ernie Borgnine film called Marty, (Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Director, Best Writing) pretty good credentials.

Also someone has to ask this, so here goes, is there any chance that we are going to get a North American release of a little revenge movie called Rolling Thunder in HD, I know it was released as part of the Mod program, I know it has a cult following, I know it could make a great special edition, imaging commentary by William Devane and Tommy Lee Jones. Two versions released overseas in HD, so I had to ask.

Ratko Mladic

BANNED
Mr.Finn,i've got a few questions for you:
1.Does Fox have any plans to release "The X-Files" series on Blu?
2.MGM related : How about Woody Allen's films(besides AH and Manhattan),The Great Escape (50th Anniversary Edition) and In the Heat of the Night?Did you hear anything on that front?
3.Can you tell us something more about The Abyss transfer?Is it supervised by Mr.Cameron himself?
4.Any word on Fox's war classics line?
Also most interested in aforementioned titles such as The Flight of the Phoenix,The King of the Comedy,Emperor of the North,Noir line,Pink Panter series :)
Thx in advance.I hope you are able to answer some of these questions:D

Danny Burk

Second Unit
I'm quick to agree with Jon Hertzberg's choices.......pre-code titles would be great, especially the restored STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE.
I'd love to see ANY Fox Pre-code titles, actually; there's so little available from before the TC-Fox merger, and many of these are terrific (if little known) films. The two Clara Bow titles would be high on this list...

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Yes I am wondering about THE GREAT ESCAPE and IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHTalso.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
trajan said:
Yes I am wondering about THE GREAT ESCAPE and IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHTalso.
Yes but they're United Artist movies (MGM Holdings, I think), I know Fox distribute them, but do they get a say in what gets released? If so I'd like to put a word in for The Alamo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks