What's new

A question for Mr. Belston or Mr Finn (1 Viewer)

Kurosawa

Agent
Real Name
David Fyten
Ratko Mladic said:
Mr.Finn,i've got a few questions for you:
1.Does Fox have any plans to release "The X-Files" series on Blu?
2.MGM related : How about Woody Allen's films(besides AH and Manhattan),The Great Escape (50th Anniversary Edition) and In the Heat of the Night?Did you hear anything on that front?
3.Can you tell us something more about The Abyss transfer?Is it supervised by Mr.Cameron himself?
4.Any word on Fox's war classics line?
Also most interested in aforementioned titles such as The Flight of the Phoenix,The King of the Comedy,Emperor of the North,Noir line,Pink Panter series :)
Thx in advance.I hope you are able to answer some of these questions:D
Regarding The Abyss: In the article I read last year quoting James Cameron about the film's projected Blu-ray release in 2014, Cameron said he would be involved personally, but that other projects had higher priority. Not sure if his personal involvement will be hands-on or merely supervisory, nor was it clear just how much work the elements require, but he was quite clear that he will have final approval over the transfer.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I'm very excited to hear about THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR -- one of my favorite films of all time. I appreciate Mr. Belston and Mr Finn sharing their time with us.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
Someone from a studio actually takes the time to respond to questions and some people still have to bitch and whine. Pathetic.

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Thank you, Travis, Thank You.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Which is why it is so damn difficult to get studio participation here[/COLOR].

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]No studio representative is going to come to an open Internet forum and[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]spill the beans about their entire release lineup for the next year.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]It just isn't done. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I think Mr. Finn has done an admirable job in spending some of his personal[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]time with us and giving us "clues" into what his studio is looking to release.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Looking over his responses, I think a lot of information has been shared here.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]We are carefully monitoring this thread to make certain everyone remains[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]respectful to our guest. Not nearly every release question will get a direct[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]answer. The studios tend to keep things tightly to their vest -- for good reason.[/COLOR]

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/90#post_3965658
Someone from a studio actually takes the time to respond to questions and some people still have to bitch and whine. Pathetic.
Boy you hit that nail, sometime we just do not show our manners.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Ronald Epstein said:
Thank you, Travis, Thank You.
Which is why it is so damn difficult to get studio participation here
No studio representative is going to come to an open Internet forum and
spill the beans about their entire release lineup for the next year.
It just isn't done.  
I think Mr. Finn has done an admirable job in spending some of his personal
time with us and giving us "clues" into what his studio is looking to release.
Looking over his responses, I think a lot of information has been shared here.
We are carefully monitoring this thread to make certain everyone remains
respectful to our guest.  Not nearly every release question will get a direct
answer.  The studios tend to keep things tightly to their vest -- for good reason.
Very well put!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Is there a fixed Blu-ray of The Longest Day in the offing that corrects same problems that plagued the early Patton blu-rays, the latter being corrected for a confirmed Q4 2012 release?
Also, when will we see the the 1953 film Titanic that was slated for an April 2012 release to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the sinking, but was then shelved indefinitely (in North America) with no further update? It was rumored to be delayed to be released alongside the 1997 Cameron 3D blu-ray release, but that no longer appears to be true.
Billy Batson said:
Yes but they're United Artist movies (MGM Holdings, I think), I know Fox distribute them, but do they get a say in what gets released? If so I'd like to put a word in for The Alamo.
I'm thinking the same thing about about the MGM holdings, doubting that Fox can really call those shots. If Fox has that sort of pull, I agree that The Alamo (1960) would be near the top of my list.
I don't blame anyone for asking Finn though. It's not like there are any MGM representatives that visit this site (unless I've overlooked somebody.)

Ratko Mladic

BANNED
Kurosawa said:
Regarding The Abyss: In the article I read last year quoting James Cameron about the film's projected Blu-ray release in 2014, Cameron said he would be involved personally, but that other projects had higher priority. Not sure if his personal involvement will be hands-on or merely supervisory, nor was it clear just how much work the elements require, but he was quite clear that he will have final approval over the transfer.
I'm glad to hear that.Thx David!

LCD22

Screenwriter
Is there any news you can share for Dobie Gillis fans?
Will you ever release on DVD A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? I get ask frequently from my mother.
What about subsequent Blu-ray sets of White Collar, Burn Notice, and an upgrade for the first three seasons of The Unit?
And finally, any plans for a Blu-ray release of That Thing You Do?
Thanks Mr. Finn.

adklz

Agent
Real Name
jim
"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" was released on DVD, but only in the big Elia Kazan box. It's been on my wish list forever, but I'm sure not buying that big box just for one movie. It would be great if it received an individual release. It would be even better on blu-ray. Heck, at this point I would settle for it being available from Netflix on disc or streaming. I just want to see it again.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/90#post_3965660

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Thank you, Travis, Thank You.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Which is why it is so damn difficult to get studio participation here[/COLOR].

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]No studio representative is going to come to an open Internet forum and[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]spill the beans about their entire release lineup for the next year.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]It just isn't done. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I think Mr. Finn has done an admirable job in spending some of his personal[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]time with us and giving us "clues" into what his studio is looking to release.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Looking over his responses, I think a lot of information has been shared here.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]We are carefully monitoring this thread to make certain everyone remains[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]respectful to our guest. Not nearly every release question will get a direct[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]answer. The studios tend to keep things tightly to their vest -- for good reason.[/COLOR]
I'm surprised Mr Finn has told us as much as he has. Studios keep release dates quiet until they are ready for an offical press release

Last year someone leaked Universal's line up - most of which came out as stated - but that doesn't happen every day

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Dear Mr. Finn,
I was very happy to hear about Hello Dolly coming out next year! That movie has been the source of a lot of speculation and debate in this forum. I don't know what materials Fox has to work with, but I hope at least for some lossless audio on that one. I don't know why the sound is so weak in the older dvd version, but you can barely hear some of it. If it looks and sounds as good as "The Sound of Music," then I guess we're in good hands! That movie was everything a blu-ray should be.
Cleopatra is also very high on my list for stateside releases. Can't wait to watch that in all its high-def glory.

Real Name
Anthony
Ronald Epstein said:
The studios tend to keep things tightly to their vest -- for good reason.
A geunine question - what are the reasons? Aside from contractual issues, I can't really see why there's a need for such State-level secrecy.
I've heard it said that they don't want to speculate for fear of disappointing fans when a project is cancelled but that hints at a level of care for the consumer which isn't really evident in all the double-dips, missing extras, DNR fiascos that crop up every week or so (not specifically talking about Fox here).
I wonder if it's not more about avoiding inhibiting sales of existing products. But these are speculations. What's the truth of the matter?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Anthony Neilson /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/90#post_3965968
A geunine question - what are the reasons? Aside from contractual issues, I can't really see why there's a need for such State-level secrecy.
I've heard it said that they don't want to speculate for fear of disappointing fans when a project is cancelled but that hints at a level of care for the consumer which isn't really evident in all the double-dips, missing extras, DNR fiascos that crop up every week or so (not specifically talking about Fox here).
I wonder if it's not more about avoiding inhibiting sales of existing products. But these are speculations. What's the truth of the matter?
You answered your own questions to a certain degree as right's issues change all of the time due to expiration clauses and then there is the state of the film elements which can alter any type of announced BRD release schedule. Also, some of it is sale forecast driven because let's say a certain studio is going to release a specific genre title on so and so date. Announced too far in advance, other studios could release similar genre title(s) which negatively affects that certain studio's units sold for that particular release after they invested a good deal of money into getting that title ready for BRD.

Real Name
Anthony
Hmm..okay. But that pertains to a studio stating a specific release date. I think what most of us want to know is simply what is and what isn't being considered. So when Our Man Finn tells us that ALL THAT JAZZ is in the works, that's great; I don't need to know exactly when - I'm just pleased that it's on the horizon.
Ah, who am I kidding - of course now I want to know when it's being released. And I guess if they told us KING OF COMEDY wasn't being considered, I'd be pissed off and vaguely anxious. I'm a junkie, basically: the gap in my soul will never be filled.:rolleyes:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Well, now that VON RYAN'S EXPRESS is coming out in France, I think it's reasonable to ask for an approximate U.S. release date. Mr. Finn?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by cineMANIAC /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/90#post_3966044
Well, now that VON RYAN'S EXPRESS is coming out in France, I think it's reasonable to ask for an approximate U.S. release date. Mr. Finn?
I doubt he answers with a direct date.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Finn /t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/60#post_3964809
Wow! Great questions. I'll try to answer what I can, as soon as possible.

We greatly appreciate your participation here, and most of understand that you can't tell us everything that you know.

A Fox title which I would like to see come to Blu-ray is Pretty Poison with Tuesday Weld and Anthony Perkins. It would be a great coup if you could somehow persuade the reclusive Ms. Weld to do a commentary track.

On the DVD front, is there any chance that Fox will one day release the remainder of the Michael Shayne films starring Lloyd Nolan? Volume One came out 5 1/2 years ago, and it's frustrating to have been anticipating Volume 2 but never seeing it appear. I have noticed that Just Off Broadway, which was not included in Volume One, has been getting play on Fox Movie Channel recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks