What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Make no mistake--- $129.99 is still a great deal. But $82.00 is a crazy steal.

Would be even crazier if B&N stock would ever show up, but unfortunately and somewhat as expected is went OOS almost immediately along with Best Buy, Deep Discount, and all the other SuperD/Alliance brands leaving Amazon with stock at full MSRP since there is nobody to pricematch though at least they appear to have some in stock.

I think another in teh line of production line snafus that seem to have become weekly since CInram was closed

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
If I remember correctly, it's in the fourth disc of the first season- the episodes Long Live Walter Jameson and The Big Tall Wish both froze up. I'm pretty sure there might be some other issues (I think disc 1 and 4 didn't play at all on some players) but the episode freeze-ups were the most common problem.

If you haven't watched your discs yet, I'd recommend seeing if disc 1 boots up and play a piece of an episode or two and then I'd watch the two above episodes and see if they play through (the mid-episode act break was where alot of freezing was reported to be occurring).

EDIT: There's a big thread on it here: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ew-the-twilight-zone-season-1-blu-ray.297737/

I bought the Image box bluray set in 2014 , had they corrected them by then or am I sol ? I'm out of town for the holidays and won't be able to view them for quite sometime . I did not know there were defects :(

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought the Image box bluray set in 2014 , had they corrected them by then or am I sol ? I'm out of town for the holidays and won't be able to view them for quite sometime . I did not know where was defects :(

I bought mine in 2013, and just recently watched the discs they're talking about with no problems whatsoever.

Since you bought yours a year later, hopefully they're all the corrected versions.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I bought mine in 2013, and just recently watched the discs they're talking about with no problems whatsoever.

Since you bought yours a year later, hopefully they're all the corrected versions.

Hope my set is good too .

hey guys check this out for those who are still thinking about getting the new box ...

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/24390266/twilight-zone-complete-series?gclid=CLjU5-n9gdECFQEMaQodWe8Ifw 87.97 and free shipping . I think this store also packs stuff well from what I hear others talking about .

Anything is better than B&N that send's stuff crushed constantly to me.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I bought the Image box bluray set in 2014 , had they corrected them by then or am I sol ? I'm out of town for the holidays and won't be able to view them for quite sometime . I did not know there were defects :(

Yeah, the first season set came out in late 2010 so I'd think that you guys would be good by 2013 or 2014.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah those defective discs were purged around 2011 or so. I actually had to make note of that in my Amazon review from around that time.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Sa5150 posted same information while I was typing

I am not familiar with this retailer but they are currently selling Twilight Zone Complete Series for $87.97.

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/24390266/twilight-zone-complete-series-blu-ray

Per CamelCamelCamel the cheapest it had been at Amazon is $71.39 on 11/27/16.

Amazon did have it cheaper for a day or two when they were matching Target.

It looks like the price is starting to go up now since virtually nobody has it in stock.

Bullmoose is a small independent dealer based in Maine/NH who have very loyal (almost rabid) following in the area and increasing
number of online customers. So far they have kept that high Customer Loyalty and Cust Service that earned them that reputation.
They often have good, sometimes great prices on many items though not across the board. Hopefully if they decide to branch out more
into Interstate trade they'll keep what makes them unique

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Love the fact that Barnes and Noble is selling this set for $87 and the old set for $387...

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I guess it doesn't matter whether they list teh old set for MSRP of 400 or 20 since it's been OOS there for a year (or 2 or 3) and only the scalper/pirate 3rd parties have had it anyway. BN usually just defaults their OOS merchandise to whatever the last price they sold it at..

The new set has been OOS at Alliance/SuperD stores since release day. I do wish some of the Industry folks would explain this trend of teh last 6-9 months that so many brand new items are OOS before release and take weeks to months to show up for sale. Is it all due to Technicolor/Cinram fiasco and the ripples or is something else going on

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So these are the same sets repackaged then?
Yes. Even though "Image" is removed from all the packaging, the first thing you see on the screen when you start up a disc is "Image Entertainment".
Just wondering, does this Twilight Zone Blu Ray DVD set have subtitles?
Yes. All the episodes have subs.
The first season didn't but the rest do IIRC.
The first season does indeed have subs. They are under the Setup menu rather than on the main menu as they are in all the other seasons.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Preorded! Now if we can only see The Outer Limits (1963) get the same treatment, I can die with a smile on my face without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me.

I think the elements for OUTER LIMITS are probably in much rougher shape than the well-preserved TZ series. The DVD set from MGM some years back was pretty good, but some of the episodes were clearly suffering from neglect. I'd love to see an OL set that looked and sounded even remotely as good as TZ.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
688141dc2b595da10676bcf45bfffcd1.jpg

THE O-U-T-E-R LIMITS!!!!!

THE OUTER LIMITS (ABC 1963-65) is under the auspices of MGM Studios so the source elements are (likely) in fine shape.

But it's really sad that it shouldn't (at least at present) not be considered for a quality stateside blu-ray release.

I also (strongly) feel that way about THE AVENGERS (ABC 1966-69) and THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68).

Just like some of us are (still) "fronting" for a continuation (in "Standard" DVD) of ONE STEP BEYOND (ABC 1959-61).

Stopping to reflect for a moment. I think that (in the 1960s) the ABC Television Network had the best programming of any U.S. tv network at the time!

In the specific instance of THE OUTER LIMITS, Image Entertainment (on the strength of THE TWILIGHT ZONE and BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER) would be an excellent candidate to assume this task.

I'm confident that a blu-ray release will indeed happen. But it may require (some) insistence from loyal OL and SF fans to accomplish this.

We now return control....

First+Contact.png

Jeff T.

;)

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
A little question for my fellow fans of The Twilight Zone: if you had to pick just three episodes to introduce college students to this mind-bending show, which ones would you pick? I have so many favorites that it's tough to pick, but hard to go wrong with "The Midnight Sun," "#12 Looks Just Like You," and "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?"

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Good picks so far. To name three different episodes, I'd say And When The Sky Was Opened, Mirror Image and The After Hours.

I have so many favorites that it's tough to pick, but hard to go wrong with "The Midnight Sun," "#12 Looks Just Like You," and "Would the Real Martian Please Stand Up?"
I think The Midnight Sun is a good one because a viewer might not be expecting the twist at the end. I don't know how younger people today would respond to the effects at the end of Would The Real Martian Please Stand Up? though. It's favorite of mine but I'm sure some smart asses would laugh at it.

"Walking Distance", "Eye of the Beholder", and "The Invaders" here.
Yeah, Walking Distance is a great one if it's a more mature crowd. Eye Of The Beholder is probably my choice for the best episode of the entire series but I do think that hiding everyone's face makes the outcome obvious to today's viewers. And like The Midnight Sun, the twist in The Invaders probably isn't as expected as some episodes or been done as an episode of The Simpsons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks