What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ohhhh, non-audio- I think you want the "Excerpt from Rod Serling's Sherwood Oaks Experimental College Lecture" on the last disc of S5.

What’s your favorite bonus on the set? I went from the individual Image DVDs (3-4 eps per disc) to the BD and never watched the bonus features when I got the upgrade. The only ones that are familiar to me are from the old Treasures of the Twilight Zone VHS release.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
What’s your favorite bonus on the set? I went from the individual Image DVDs (3-4 eps per disc) to the BD and never watched the bonus features when I got the upgrade. The only ones that are familiar to me are from the old Treasures of the Twilight Zone VHS release.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a set with so many great extras. It really is jam-packed. I have the DVDs, and watched all the extras when the discs came out 15+ years ago. I upgraded to blu-ray when these came along, but haven’t rewatched all the extras. I regret that the Blu-ray doesn’t list them.

I love the lecture I referenced above. (I did look it up and Travis is correct; that’s the one I wanted. Thanks, Travis!) so, I’d recommend the lecture, which is Serling and a few college students sitting on couches, chatting. Serling was an amazing talent.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nearly all the expert commentaries (Marc Scott Zicree, Martin Grams, Gary Gerani and others) are good because they're well-researched and informative and they clearly love the show so they are the gold standard for a classic TV commentary in my mind. There's a couple with celebrity guests like Matthew Weiner and Neil Gaiman which are cool if you're a fan of theirs. Also, the isolated scores are amazing if you're a music fan.

Respect and gratitude to the actors involved with the commentaries but the majority of those commentaries aren't all that great because no one can really expect them to remember three days in their career 45 years earlier so most of those are just broadly talking about how great the show and Serling were for 25 minutes.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

‘The Twilight Zone’…The Six Video Tape Episodes​

Not quite every TZ episode was shot on 35mm Film. During the 2nd season, CBS had an idea on one way to reduce the show's per episode production costs. Thankfully, after having recorded six episodes using the inferior quality process, the experiment was deemed a bust, and shooting on 35mm film resumed for the rest of the series run!

CHEERS! :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

‘The Twilight Zone’…The Six Video Tape Episodes​

Not quite every TZ episode was shot on 35mm Film. During the 2nd season, CBS had an idea on one way to reduce the show's per episode production costs. Thankfully, after having recorded six episodes using the inferior quality process, the experiment was deemed a bust, and shooting on 35mm film resumed for the rest of the series run!

CHEERS! :)
One of my all-time favorite spooky episodes of the show - "Twenty-Two" - was one of the videotaped episodes, and that tape gives the eeriness an immediacy that scared the daylights out of me when I was a kid and which I still find very unsettling.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
One of my all-time favorite spooky episodes of the show - "Twenty-Two" - was one of the videotaped episodes, and that tape gives the eeriness an immediacy that scared the daylights out of me when I was a kid and which I still find very unsettling.
Same here. My ten- or eleven-year old self was blown away by it. I was surprised years later to learn about the six video episodes, and that "Twenty-Two" was one of them, but the look and feel of this one does indeed have an impact.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I still love this show as much as anything that’s ever been made. I’ve heard people say there are bad episodes, but for me, it’s just “more favorite” and “less favorite” but all still favorites.
I think that a few of the episodes from the last two seasons are legitimately bad but the number of good, great or amazing episodes is insanely large.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm still of the (unpopular) opinion that the "fan favorite" Season 3 is actually far worse than Season 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks