What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It's really a toss up between 1 and 2 as far as "best season" goes for me. The show doesn't hit the skids until season 3.

Also still waiting on a proper soundtrack box set for the show. There's only so much you can do with 35mm mixing elements like the ones used for the iso scores.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Funny we're talking about "Mr. Denton on Doomsday"... I just finished editing my podcast episode about it today! Something in the air, apparently.

Also still waiting on a proper soundtrack box set for the show. There's only so much you can do with 35mm mixing elements like the ones used for the iso scores.

I keep hoping La La Land puts some mammoth set together, like they've done for Star Trek, The X-files, etc. I have the 5 original soundtrack releases (on vinyl and CD, plus the first two on cassette), and I absolutely treasure them, but they only scratch the surface of the wonderful music composed for the show.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I guess the upcoming Roddenberry Vault will be the closest thing we'll ever get to that. I'm very excited to see everything on it, but at the end of the day, it's just shy of three hours of new video content, two or three new commentaries, and isolated scores that were previously available on disc -- it's a treasure trove compared to what previously existed, but not very much when you compare it to the TZ set.

(P.S. Alan just made his TOS comment right as I was typing this.. great minds and all..)

The Roddenberry Vault has its charms. A tremendous amount of man hours was poured into it. A lot of thought and planning went into its execution. If the material had been mined and included at the time of the TOS-R BD release, it certainly would have helped put that formidable release into the conversation for best ever. As it is, the Vault will be a nice curiosity to add to our shelves.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's really a toss up between 1 and 2 as far as "best season" goes for me. The show doesn't hit the skids until season 3.
I've always thought that S3 is a 'best of times, worst of times' scenario. There's still a number of great episodes but there's also definitely more weak ones than in the first two years.

I'd also buy a soundtrack set if it was released.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, just a quick note. I played Mr. Denton on Doomsday on an Xbox One last night. When I tried to play The Lonely, it wouldn't play. I could jump ahead and try to play but I saw a paused image. I thought oh, no, is this set bad again! The one I bought back in 2010, the set I exchanged several times until the replacements were sent out.

I tried it on my Oppo player and it played fine. So it was some kind of cruel scare reminding me of the original 2010 release!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Hard
So these are the same sets repackaged then?

Hard to beat near perfection.

Relabeled as Paramount instead of Image, different packaging, but basically the same discs at 40% the MSRP of the old set.

I haven't seen any pictures, but for soem reason I want to think this is another set with the large single megacase instead of just
the 5 individual season sets like the original Complete Set

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
^Good that's all I wanted to know, have the entire series on blu already but some discs are no longer playable (not for reasons of that recall but simply for being overloved).

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
If they're the same exact discs from the earlier releases, I would hope the corrected season 1 disc is in there.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If they're the same exact discs from the earlier releases, I would hope the corrected season 1 disc is in there.
Not a problem for me if it isn't. I jumped on that recall as quickly as possible back in 2010.

Todd Mattraw

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I realize that the price on this is outstanding, and with 24 discs, economical packaging would be a problem, but this is easily the worst DVD/Blu-Ray case I've encountered in 17 years of collecting. I have the original complete DVD sets, in the slim cases, and will probably transfer the blu-rays over to those cases --- that will also get me pictures from, and summaries of, each episode on the old packaging (these days that helps me remember exactly which episode is which), as well as the original air date info that I frankly miss on the new set's packaging and menus.

But ultimately, the play's the thing, and this content is as good as it gets.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Does it have the mid-episode bumpers?
Does it have the original openings?
Does it have Rod Serling wishing everyone a "Merry Christmas" at the end of "Night of the Meek"?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Does it have the mid-episode bumpers?
Does it have the original openings?
Does it have Rod Serling wishing everyone a "Merry Christmas" at the end of "Night of the Meek"?
Same old discs in a new cheaper box. So that's a resounding yes (outside of Passage for Trumpet which is more of an element issue, apparently the Mag track for that used the older opening).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks