Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
I'm looking at the screenshot comparisons at caps-a-holic between the UHD and the Criterion disc and I don't see much difference in detail. In fact i see more detail in the Criterion disc. Am I the only one?

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=16653&d2=16261&s1=180391&s2=173938&i=7&l=0

Yep, I agree. Something is odd. Caps-a-holic is good for resolution comparisons only, never color, and this is the first time I see the Blu-ray showing more resolution than the 4K.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yep, I agree. Something is odd. Caps-a-holic is good for resolution comparisons only, never color, and this is the first time I see the Blu-ray showing more resolution than the 4K.

Not sure it's actually more resolution/detail instead of (judicious) sharpening applied on the Criterion BD, but certainly, the 4K is not a clear upgrade based on those screencaps... except perhaps on compressing/encoding (and possibly finer film grain rendering plus what appears like chroma noise issue w/ the Criterion) and such...

Anyway, all this suggest to me I'll be happy to just stick w/ the Criterion BD plus iTunes 4K digital and skip the 4K disc release...

_Man_

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The 4K disc is better than the Criterion blu, as a result of better colour and HDR. There's not much of a difference in sharpness - the Criterion is just a little bit harsh looking, while the 4K is a bit smoother and more film-like. But overall, it's a pretty subtle difference.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The 4K disc is better than the Criterion blu, as a result of better colour and HDR. There's not much of a difference in sharpness - the Criterion is just a little bit harsh looking, while the 4K is a bit smoother and more film-like. But overall, it's a pretty subtle difference.
Ah, finally a judgment of the video quality of the movie and not all the screen shot crap. Thanks.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
I get my copy today and will compare it myself. Reports are the colors are washed out in the first 20min or so and there's a green tint, but I need to see for myself on my display.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
I think I'm going to hang on a bit, stick with the Blu-ray, and wait to see if it gets a UHD from some other label before upgrading. I really want any UHD disc to be the absolute last time I buy a movie.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
Oh lord not that guy please.

Who is he? I have no clue, but he seems to be spot on with what I'm seeing. Look at post 881 where things are shown in Resolve. It's pretty clear the mastering mistake. I first noticed it when watching on my own OLED - it was just plain wrong. That thread confirmed it. Also this post shows it very clearly and objectively.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Has anyone compared the disc to the iTunes stream which is also 4k and Dolby Vision?

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks