What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Red Dragon -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A prequel to the wonderful Silence of the Lambs, Rad Dragon has huge shoes to feel, and never really does so.

A fun film for fans, it's now available via Kino as a 4k UHD, derived from the OCN, and the resultant package is a quality affair.

Shot on fillum, the new 4k scan makes total use of what's captured on the negative, and has been nicely handled.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Worth your attention - 7

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Slipcover rating - 1

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Annoying that Kino managed to grab the 4k rights to every Hannibal movie not named Manhunter then proceeded to botch Silence.

Even more annoying that the best release of Manhunter now goes for an arm and a leg (plus your liver =P) because of them.
There's a new version of Manhunter coming, but who knows if it'll be the best. Mann is a notorious tinkerer.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I enjoy the Fiennes/Watson/Hoffman parts of the film, and think they're worthy to stand alongside their equivalents from Manhunter. But I agree that Norton is miscast, and for me, Hopkins' performance finally goes over the ham line which he'd tiptoed right up to in Silence of the Lambs and especially Hannibal. Even Harvey Keitel isn't especially good; he's not a patch on Dennis Farina's version of Crawford. The result is a movie where I spend all of the investigative scenes twiddling my thumbs and wishing we could get back to watching Dolarhyde.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It's hard to top Tom Noonan's creepy vibe as Dolarhyde, but Fiennes, as stated above, is one of the best performances in a flawed adaptation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks