What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Birth of a Nation (2016) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
An entire century separate two films that deal with similar situations in very different ways.

D.W. Griffith's film, which today is more of an educational exercise, than a pleasant experience to watch, cast white actors in negro roles in 1914, for his epic production about the Klan, based upon the novel The Clansman, by Thomas F. Dixon, Jr.

It's difficult to view today for many reasons.

A hundred years later, Nate Parker and company tell a variant of the same story, from a totally different perspective.

Still difficult to watch, it is however, both a reminder as well as a condemnation of the treatment of black Americans beginning early in the 19th century, and following a specific group of families, both black and white, through to the period of the antebellum South.

To me, Mr. Parker's work gave us everything that was lacking in the remix of Roots, which told a similar tale, but was prettified.

I first saw the film a couple of months ago on DVD, and while the story came across with almost full impact, Fox's new 4k UHD release adds a huge layer of purely visceral power to the mix.

I've noted that this isn't a pleasant film to watch, but it should be seen, as it tells a tale that needs to be remembered. While Lincoln freed the slaves a century and a half ago, and while much has been accomplished since the confrontations of the 1960s, we have quite a ways to go.

Will this film help?

It just might.

A beautifully constructed and produced film, and a gorgeous 4k UHD experience.

Shot with an Arri Alexa and a Red Epic Dragon in 2.8 and 5k, the film was finished as a 2K DI.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the 4K release, but won't watch it until I my ordered 4K/UHD panel is in-house.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I really appreciated this film and regret waiting for the home video release. I should have seen it in the theater.

Mark

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have the 4K release, but won't watch it until I my ordered 4K/UHD panel is in-house.

As noted, beautifully created film. Occasionally difficult to watch, but makes it point with extraordinary power, and doesn't leave you.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks