What's new

ShellOilJunior

Stunt Coordinator
I'm keeping my order. There hasn't been any T2-like red flags with this release. It's being offered at a fair price and I'll get to decide with my own eyes.

mskaye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I’ll politely disagree and say Mr. Harris knows what he’s talking about. And has heartily recommended this. I’ll be going with his opinion.
I agree that Mr. Harris knows what he is talking about. There shouldn't even be a debate about that. The scans on Beaver are proof that this new disc is a nicer transfer. Colors are richer and a denser image overall. Immeasurably better ? Night and day different? Worth the upgrade? That's up to the potential purchaser to decide. But from simple empiracal comparisons, it looks like a no-brainer. The close ups are stunning.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I’ll politely disagree and say Mr. Harris knows what he’s talking about. And has heartily recommended this. I’ll be going with his opinion.
You can do what pleases you, of course. I wasn't questioning Mr. Harris or his review, I was questioning the review that you referenced in your post, which was, of course, the Beaver and not Mr. Harris.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the Beaver doesn't really know what he's talking about and is no different than anyone on this forum.
Oh I certainly will take Mr. Harris's advice. Perhaps I misread your intent here, which said Beaver doesn't know what he's talking about and is no different that anyone on this forum, because this sentence to me reads 1) that you're equating Beaver to anyone on this forum, 2) that since you're equating the two (i.e. Beaver being"no different than on this forum") it implied an opinion that no one here really knows what we're talking about, and 3) Mr. Harris is a member of this forum.

If you didn't mean #2 and #3 and only meant #1...well that's certainly your right to feel that way about DVD Beaver, but this sentence read to me like you meant all three things.

I, like most people, don't overly rely on any one source. If Mr. Harris, whom I do trust and respect, says a positive thing, and then Beaver adds similar positive comments and posts 4K screen caps, well that's a pretty convincing argument right there, regardless of if Beaver's been hit or miss in the past.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Oh I certainly will take Mr. Harris's advice. Perhaps I misread your intent here, which said Beaver doesn't know what he's talking about and is no different that anyone on this forum, because this sentence to me reads 1) that you're equating Beaver to anyone on this forum, 2) that since you're equating the two (i.e. Beaver being"no different than on this forum") it implied an opinion that no one here really knows what we're talking about, and 3) Mr. Harris is a member of this forum.

If you didn't mean #2 and #3 and only meant #1...well that's certainly your right to feel that way about DVD Beaver, but this sentence read to me like you meant all three things.

I, like most people, don't overly rely on any one source. If Mr. Harris, whom I do trust and respect, says a positive thing, and then Beaver adds similar positive comments and posts 4K screen caps, well that's a pretty convincing argument right there, regardless of if Beaver's been hit or miss in the past.
My post was specifically about the Beaver - hard to miss that, don't you think. Mr. Harris is a friend of mine and an EXPERT, unlike the Beaver. My point was the majority of people who post here are fans, not experts, but most of them don't pretend they know things that they don't really know, which is my issue with the Beaver. I have corrected his endless misinformation many, many times and he never ever corrects anything. I do hope I'm being clear here but you'll let me know if I'm not :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Criterion's Blu-ray is fantastic, but there's nothing wrong with Kino offering the same restoration in its native 4K resolution and with Dolby Vision for those who want it. Given how reasonably priced their UHD releases are, one can probably pick this up in a sale alongside buying the Criterion Blu for about the same price as one of Criterion's own UHDs.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
My post was specifically about the Beaver - hard to miss that, don't you think. Mr. Harris is a friend of mine and an EXPERT, unlike the Beaver. My point was the majority of people who post here are fans, not experts, but most of them don't pretend they know things that they don't really know, which is my issue with the Beaver. I have corrected his endless misinformation many, many times and he never ever corrects anything. I do hope I'm being clear here but you'll let me know if I'm not :)
No it wasn’t hard to miss it. I spelled out very clearly why you’re sentence was confusing. Hence why you had to clear it up. Thank you.

Denham

Agent
Real Name
Paul
My money is always on tone mapping whenever anyone complains about specific titles looking too dark. Even with the latest firmware on my JVC, I still occasionally end up needing to adjust the mapping level to high. It's just not a set-and-forget it situation, even on flat panels. The Thing looked fine to me at normal Mid settings, though. Everyone's mileage varies.
And this is one big reason why 4K is the first tech upgrade proposition in my lifetime of media collecting, that I've been mostly "meh" to "ugh" about.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And this is one big reason why 4K is the first tech upgrade proposition in my lifetime of media collecting, that I've been mostly "meh" to "ugh" about.
Do you have a 4K tv? If not you are limiting your home theater experience.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
As someone with a 4K OLED, I don't entirely agree with that. It depends on where your interests lie. The vast majority of films I watch are only available in 1080p, and even for older films that are in 4K/HDR, I find the improvements incremental.

Denham

Agent
Real Name
Paul
I have a JVC RS4910 projector. It's 4K capable (w/ pixel shift) but lacks the ability to resolve HDR/DV/etc, along with 203/205 Oppos.

I realize that without an HDR capable display I can't be expected to be able to fully appreciate the benefits of UHD- but projection has historically been a compromise with this format. The first native JVCs that could finally do HDR only debuted two years ago, and there are still PQ trade offs to "upgrade" to that tech.
My now eight year old PJ still gives me enormous satisfaction with well mastered media. I'm truly grateful I'm able to enjoy images that still look stunning to my eyes.

Would I like to improve upon that even more? Sure.
I bought one of the first HD DVD players that was available in my area, even though I only had a WVGA res pj at the time.
Yet 1080p media still had clearly discernible benefits (with the VC-1 codec) over DVDs mpeg-2. The image was rock steady and contrast and colors were both clearly better to my eyes.

I don't feel like I'm realizing any benefit whatsoever with the 4K discs I've bought.
On the contrary, they are usually an exercise in frustration trying to eek out a watchable image that isn't over dim or washed out/plugged up...it's a PITA. And forget about the better tone mapping on the Panasonics vs the Oppos. The Oppos I have are region free modded. They have far more utility for me than better tone mapping for a few things I want to upgrade.

Someday I'll be upgrading the PJ, but my main goal will be to get better processing for 3D.
Truer 4K will just be an accessory feature at that point.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
As someone with a 4K OLED, I don't entirely agree with that. It depends on where your interests lie. The vast majority of films I watch are only available in 1080p, and even for older films that are in 4K/HDR, I find the improvements incremental.
I don't entirely agree with your opinion either, especially, about older films with 4K/HDR only being incremental improvements, with of course, some exceptions.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't feel like I'm realizing any benefit whatsoever with the 4K discs I've bought.
On the contrary, they are usually an exercise in frustration trying to eek out a watchable image that isn't over dim or washed out/plugged up...it's a PITA. And forget about the better tone mapping on the Panasonics vs the Oppos. The Oppos I have are region free modded. They have far more utility for me than better tone mapping for a few things I want to upgrade.

Why not add the Panny 420 and have both? It's certainly cheap enough (especially if you wait for a decent sale) me thinks -- and presumably, you won't need anything the higher models add for PJ output.

That's what I do (to go w/ my Oppo 103, which I actually usually leave in Region 2) for my Epson 5050UB.

Yeah, it's not gonna make HDR on PJ compete w/ OLED, but it should help give you a better (enough) experience me thinks... unless you're really gonna completely abandon the format I guess...

_Man_

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I have a JVC RS4910 projector. It's 4K capable (w/ pixel shift) but lacks the ability to resolve HDR/DV/etc, along with 203/205 Oppos.

With your particular model, I can certainly understand that. HDR support is enormously frustrating. However, I must say that the dynamic tone mapping in newer JVC projectors is exponentially better, and you don't need any special UHD player to use it. You'll bypass any tone mapping in the player to use the projector instead.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the Beaver doesn't really know what he's talking about and is no different than anyone on this forum. And anytime he says something is a HUGE improvement, take it with a large container of salt. This is from the same scan that Criterion use - given the film itself, how much better is it gonna look?
Some of us know what we are talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pox;and
Recent bookmarks