What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When I view an older film, one of the thoughts involved is always "does it stand the test of time?"

Sometimes I'm reviewing for quality, and sample twenty minutes of so of content, and in other situations a film stands that test so well that I forget that there’s another film on the stack to be reviewed.

That's the case with Johnathan Demme's thirty year-old police procedural thriller, The Silence of the Lambs.

Everything about this film is of such a high standard that it's akin to a book one can't put down.

In the case of Kino new 4k of the MGM production, everything is in the correct place.

Beautifully photographed. A lovely image harvest, along with audio is perfect. Black levels, grain structure, color, stability. There's not a single point to fault.

A perfect 4k Blu-ray release.

And the film? As noted, a magnificent production. Not without Very minor faults, but things that will never be noticed by even the most attentive audience member.

Performances aren't bad either.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
When I view an older film, one of the thoughts involved is always "does it stand the test of time?"

Sometimes I'm reviewing for quality, and sample twenty minutes of so of content, and in other situations a film stands that test so well that I forget that there' another film on the stack to be reviewed.

That's the case with Johnathan Demme's thirty year-old police procedural thriller, The Silence of the Lambs.

Everything about this film is of such a high standard that it's akin to a book one can't put down.

In the case of Kino new 4k of the MGM production, everything is in the correct place.

Beautifully photographed. A lovely image harvest, along with audio is perfect. Black levels, grain structure, color, stability. There's not a single point to fault.

A perfect 4k Blu-ray release.

And the film? As noted, a magnificent production. Not without Very minor faults, but things that will never be noticed by even the most attentive audience member.

Performances aren't bad either.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
Older film? Didn’t this just come out a few years ago?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Is this a brand new 4K scan or the same that is available digitally?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is this a brand new 4K scan or the same that is available digitally?
This 4K disc is derived from the same one used for the 2018 Criterion Blu-ray and the 4K digital that came out in November, 2018 which is about three years ago, so there is no need to do another brand new 4K scan.

Edit: I just checked my DVD Profiler and Vudu had the 4K digital in October, 2017. The Criterion Blu-ray came out in February, 2018.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not sure I can part with the great Criterion, as much as I enjoy this film.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Since I first saw the attached, I can no longer think about how great this film is without also thinking of what a great couple of humans its two leading actors are. This Zoom–reunion between Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster is, for me, essential and priceless.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Since I never got around to purchasing the Criterion disc on blu-ray and only own it on DVD I will be more than happy to pick this film up on 4K blu-ray!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks