What's new

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Not wasting my money on this- the Criterion will suffice. Unlike Do The Right Thing or Parasite where the colors pop I don’t recall this being a visually dazzling effort. I rather buy Manhunt as it’s much more visually colorful a la Michael Mann. To many jail cell scenes in this one for me to care about brick details.
Speaking of serial killer flicks I’d really like The Cell in UHD as well.
But for those w cinema projectors I understand the want for this title.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Not wasting my money on this- the Criterion will suffice. Unlike Do The Right Thing or Parasite where the colors pop I don’t recall this being a visually dazzling effort. I rather buy Manhunt as it’s much more visually colorful a la Michael Mann. To many jail cell scenes in this one for me to care about brick details.
Speaking of serial killer flicks I’d really like The Cell in UHD as well.
But for those w cinema projectors I understand the want for this title.
I tried to watch Manhunt on some streaming channel months ago and I couldn’t much, the picture was so bad.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe (and I'm not here to sell product) that upgrades are sometimes incremental.

SotL is not a highly resolved film, but there are certain attributes, especially when screened via projection, that add nuance and make the differentiation from Blu to 4k worthwhile for those who appreciate it.

I can give a perfect example.

During the restoration of The Godfather, we spent literally months going through tiny trims at Pro-Tek, with Joe Caracappa, an extraordinary technician going through hundreds of rolls of misc film, searching for very short bits in order to bring the Italian restaurant assassination scene back to its proper glory by saving a couple of generations of very thinly exposed film.

One of the differences that it made was to allow viewers to better see nuance in the muscles of Mr. Pacino's face as he stoically sat at the table, knowing what he had to do.

Sometimes tiny things add up to a visceral improvement.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I believe (and I'm not here to sell product) that upgrades are sometimes incremental.

SotL is not a highly resolved film, but there are certain attributes, especially when screened via projection, that add nuance and make the differentiation from Blu to 4k worthwhile for those who appreciate it.

During the restoration of The Godfather, we spent literally months going through tiny trims at Pro-Tek, with Joe Caracappa, an extraordinary technician going through hundreds of rolls of misc film, searching for very short bits in order to bring the Italian restaurant assassination scene back to its proper glory by saving a couple of generations of very thinly exposed film.

One of the differences that it made was to allow viewers to better see nuance in the muscles of Mr. Pacino's face as he stoically sat at the table, knowing what he had to do.

Thank you for that effort on The Godfather. That scene IS more detailed and powerful now. It's akin to spending extra time on a particular section of The Sistine Chapel. It's subtle nuances that have a cumulative effect.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thank you for that effort on The Godfather. That scene IS more detailed and powerful now. It's akin to spending extra time on a particular section of The Sistine Chapel. It's subtle nuances that have a cumulative effect.
It must be done by someone that knows what they are doing ...
1632591289754.jpeg

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel

Is this restored Godfather the restoration that was shown at the Radio City double feature 4/2017? And is that the same source as the current blu- ray? That Radio City presentation was spectacular- thank you many times over if that is what we are referencing. If not I can’t wait to see it!
Btw either Godfather on 4K I would buy at a heartbeat.

jmegas

Auditioning
Real Name
James C. Megas
I'm with many, many others in this thread who are reluctant to upgrade the Criterion Collection disc, particularly because they were released so closely together. In a forum of aficionados such as this, one would have to know more about how much the two versions (Criterion Collection vs. 4k UHD) differ from each other. Perhaps it's massive, but many of us here appear to be skeptical.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm on-board with Mr. Harris here. I don't expect every 4K reissue of a Blu-ray title to be a massive improvement or a religious experience. This especially holds true for catalog films from certain eras shot using certain techniques and/or film stocks. Sometimes even incremental refinements can add up to a much more enjoyable viewing experience, and one that can justify the 4K purchase of an already outstanding 1080p title. For me. I suspect that Silence of the Lambs may be one such case, and if so I have no problem at all double-dipping.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not that I needed the extra push, but after reading that DVD Beaver review, I'm totally in. And I'll also be picking up The Thing 4K.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd be interested to see how this compares to the 4K stream.

Yeah, after so many re-dips, including the latest Criterion BD plus the 4K digital, I'm probably not re-dipping so soon, if ever, again for this 4K disc -- and doubtful it'll get discounted enough (as a Kino Lorber release) to entice me (again) anytime soon me thinks...

But yes, certainly curious how it compares to the 4K digital...

_Man_

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Not that I needed the extra push, but after reading that DVD Beaver review, I'm totally in. And I'll also be picking up The Thing 4K.
I have it [ the thing 4K ] but find it too dark . Someone might say ...'increase your birghtness level ' but doing that spoils the areas that are fine in the first place. To be honest I am not to keen on 4K .

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have it [ the thing 4K ] but find it too dark . Someone might say ...'increase your birghtness level ' but doing that spoils the areas that are fine in the first place. To be honest I am not to keen on 4K .
I suspect your display needs to be calibrated.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

I suspect your display needs to be calibrated.

I agree that this is likely a display calibration or tone-mapping issue. I have many UHD discs where the HDR just makes the movie look overly dim (just about the entire Star Wars franchise), but The Thing is not one of them. The HDR on that disc looks great.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I agree that this is likely a display calibration or tone-mapping issue. I have many UHD discs where the HDR just makes the movie look overly dim (just about the entire Star Wars franchise), but The Thing is not one of them. The HDR on that disc looks great.
My money is always on tone mapping whenever anyone complains about specific titles looking too dark. Even with the latest firmware on my JVC, I still occasionally end up needing to adjust the mapping level to high. It's just not a set-and-forget it situation, even on flat panels. The Thing looked fine to me at normal Mid settings, though. Everyone's mileage varies.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Unfortunately, the Beaver doesn't really know what he's talking about and is no different than anyone on this forum. And anytime he says something is a HUGE improvement, take it with a large container of salt. This is from the same scan that Criterion use - given the film itself, how much better is it gonna look?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I’ll politely disagree and say Mr. Harris knows what he’s talking about. And has heartily recommended this. I’ll be going with his opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks