What's new

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Thank you for making my purchase of the Criterion even more justified, awful Kino PR guy.
It's true, I wouldn't mind the errors from KL so much, even if they didn't get fixed, if their reps were not so unpleasant.

They release a HUGE number of titles, probably more than any other label, and I'm enormously grateful for that. With so many releases, it's not shocking that a tiny fraction have some sort of error.

Unfortunately, they generally deny the error exists, dismissing all evidence provided, and their communications are usually pretty cold and condescending.

In their defense, however, a lot of people tend to jump on them with memes and snarky replies which aren't terribly helpful either.

There's a legitimate technical issue with this disc, it seems. (Or, more accurately, with MGM's HDR 4K master, apparently) Their denials of it won't make it go away.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I don't know the backstory on this particular member of the other board, but regardless of who was the first to point out this technical error, I just checked my own disc, which I hadn't watched yet, and it's there.

It's subtle, but it's present on KL's UHD disc. It is not present on their BD, however, which is included in the same set.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
What I don't understand is that the Criterion disc is based upon the same master. No? And it doesn't exhibit this problem.
The problem seems to be in the MGM's master of the HDR grade. The SDR grade doesn't have issues. KL's quality control didn't spot it, which is a bit strange to be honest, as it's obvious. Their PR guy is not helping them either by being so dismissive in the face of evidence. The audio 5.1 mix is another issue that their QC overlooked....Go Criterion for this, it's the clear choice.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Unfortunately, they generally deny the error exists, dismissing all evidence provided, and their communications are usually pretty cold and condescending.

In their defense, however, a lot of people tend to jump on them with memes and snarky replies which aren't terribly helpful either.

I think their mistake is in assigning a rep to monitor and respond to posts at a site well known to attract and foster the most obnoxious and psychotic of fanboys. That's enough to wear down anyone's patience.

Leave the nutcases in the loony bin to scream at each other.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
I think their mistake is in assigning a rep to monitor and respond to posts at a site well known to attract and foster the most obnoxious and psychotic of fanboys. That's enough to wear down anyone's patience.

Never mind my prior reply - was a mistake. However, to address your post, I don't know who's obnoxious and who's not, and it doesn't matter. What matters is that the PR person behave like a PR person. The mistake is clear, proven. Own up to it, don't be dismissive.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard

It's true, while most members there are great, a vocal few are quick to anger and seem looking more to entertain by posting memes than to have an informed discussion.

That said, the KL reps there often respond with the same level of unpleasantness and curt superiority to everyone.

I will say, however, that I've engaged some of them in discussion by PM there and found them to be kind, intelligent people. I agree, I think the tenor of some of the conversation there makes them enter the space on a defensive footing, and I often can't blame them.

The most I can do is be on my best behavior, and if I ever say anything inadvertantly unkind, as I did once, regarding Bitter Moon, I can just apologize profusely and edit my offending comment. That's the best I can do. :)

As long as we can get this corrected, I'll be happy.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Comparison caps of the same frame from The Silence of the Lambs, showing the color error during the first 19 mins of the KL UHD, compared to their own BD, which does not have the error.

Kino Lorber UHD:
6U32wPT.jpg

Kino Lorber BD:
3wxjCFg.png

Many thanks to forum.blu-ray.com user wright96d for the UHD cap.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
They have had more than their fair share of errors and I believe it's because either there IS no QC (especially given the huge volume of releases, how could there be) - I think once someone calls then on a mistake, THEN they actually watch the thing carefully, but it's so much easier to send the hound on people than to perhaps acknowledge.

Furthermore, there is no sharpening on the Criterion Blu-ray - it's pretty much perfect and with no uptick in detail that's significant, it's a big why release.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I hope someone in Europe would release the UHD with corrected color and original stereo track. (Is there a chance?).
Otherwise, I would have to buy the Criterion one...

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I hope someone in Europe would release the UHD with corrected color and original stereo track. (Is there a chance?).
Otherwise, I would have to buy the Criterion one...
Hopefully we won't have to wait for that.

Hopefully KL's correction of Lust, Caution signifies them turning over a new leaf. However, their traditional vehement, terse denials so far are admittedly not promising.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
They have had more than their fair share of errors and I believe it's because either there IS no QC (especially given the huge volume of releases, how could there be) - I think once someone calls then on a mistake, THEN they actually watch the thing carefully, but it's so much easier to send the hound on people than to perhaps acknowledge.

Furthermore, there is no sharpening on the Criterion Blu-ray - it's pretty much perfect and with no uptick in detail that's significant, it's a big why release.

To be fair and balanced, the UHD does have a slightly better look in motion, and after the 20min mark it's just a bit better all around than the Criterion. How much better? That's for each person to decide and to decide if it's worth it to them. There's also a nice new commentary that's new for KL on it. I do hope that while their PR person yells "Don't like it, return it!", they will go back to MGM and someone will provide a fix to the HDR grade. Noise on forums can sometimes be a good thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks