What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Domestic release) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Completely agree. Really disappointed with waiting so long for the film to get the high def treatment, only to have that abomination of a transfer released.
I was surprised that they waited so long to put it on a Blu-ray looking like this - they probably could have done that 10 years earlier and maybe back then it would have fared a bit better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disagree with those that are saying "The Sons of Katie Elder" Blu-ray being an abomination. It's mediocre and should have been much better looking, but I've seen a lot worse on Blu-ray than it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was surprised that they waited so long to put it on a Blu-ray looking like this - they probably could have done that 10 years earlier and maybe back then it would have fared a bit better.
That's the problem with that Blu-ray. They released it from an older HD scan that should have been released more than a decade ago. It's mediocre compared to Blu-rays being released today with new scans.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Definitely a old scan and seemingly they are going to leave it just like it is. Which I'm afraid quite a few other movies from diffrent studios will endure. Wild Bunch and the searchers have been the same for about 13 years or more snd while at the time I read a review about the wild bunch which could have been by Mr Harris, it was said to have been as close to the way it looked in the theaters as could be. I'm hoping a few these will be reissued (even on bluray) but from a business stand point understand if they wernt.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I heard paramount is releasing this on 4k in April. Personally I don't see the the reason. The bluray was enough to suffice especially on a big 4k.

Are we sure it won’t just be a Paramount Presents BD? Either way, this could use an upgrade, and I will buy it, as it’s one of my favorite Westerns.

It looked fine from far away on my old 32” LCD. But on 65” OLED, it’s borderline plasticine. Definitely over processed and does not look like something of its vintage should.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are we sure it won’t just be a Paramount Presents BD? Either way, this could use an upgrade, and I will buy it, as it’s one of my favorite Westerns.

It looked fine from far away on my old 32” LCD. But on 65” OLED, it’s borderline plasticine. Definitely over processed and does not look like something of its vintage should.
Ron Epstein has heard from sources that the 4K disc is being released on April 12th.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I wish Paramount would do a 4K Release with a new scan of Hatari!, The Sons of Katie Elder, and Rio Lobo before doing any other movies. In saying any other movies I mean that literally!!! No other movies, no matter the actor or movie from Paramount til these 3 are done right! LOL These movies should have been done right by Paramount the first time they were released. I hope Paramount will get Hatari!, The Sons Of Katie Elder, and Rio Lobo done right in 4K Blu Ray very soon!!!

Take Care!

Robert

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I wish Paramount would do a 4K Release with a new scan of Hatari!, The Sons of Katie Elder, and Rio Lobo before doing any other movies. In saying any other movies I mean that literally!!! No other movies, no matter the actor or movie from Paramount til these 3 are done right! LOL These movies should have been done right by Paramount the first time they were released. I hope Paramount will get Hatari!, The Sons Of Katie Elder, and Rio Lobo done right in 4K Blu Ray very soon!!!

Take Care!

Robert
You left out El Dorado. . .

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Take Care!

Robert
You left out El Dorado. . .
You guys will be waiting a long time then.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Take Care!

Robert
Is it only me or does it look like this thread has been hijacked by the local John Wayne fan club ;)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
That's the problem with that Blu-ray. They released it from an older HD scan that should have been released more than a decade ago. It's mediocre compared to Blu-rays being released today with new scans.
That's what I thought. It is not extremely horrible, but very disappointing to see this kind of quality released so many years into the format.

It is as if Warner would release their old 2006/2007 releases of Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) or The Wild Bunch today. Back then these weren't that great either but today they would really stick out as subpar.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
That's what I thought. It is not extremely horrible, but very disappointing to see this kind of quality released so many years into the format.

It is as if Warner would release their old 2006/2007 releases of Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) or The Wild Bunch today. Back then these weren't that great either but today they would really stick out as subpar.
It looks good; the grey scale is lovely, but it's been somewhat degrained or smoothed out or something; i'm assuming for release on DVD. The Blu-Rays of "El Dorado" & "The Nutty Professor" have similar issues. It's slight, but perfect it isn't. It retains that quality and light and tone and contrast and color of the 35mm prints, matches them really well, in fact, almost perfectly, has a real kind of beauty, but doesn't look like film. Everything is just the slightest bit flat, the slightest bit electronic. The depth of field doesn't have enough depth, the shadows look painted on rather than real. The light doesn't have the glow it should, and the darkness isn't rich enough. It's acceptable, but as you stated, at this point in the game, why? Paramount are redoing some of these--like "Reds", for example, but other, like "Katie Elder"; they're not. I do hope they revisit "Liberty Valance" down the road, for it's such a masterpiece, such a fusion of form and content, as well as a revisit of "The Informer" in the use of light and shadow, it suffers from being fully appreciated in its current form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks