What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Domestic release) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I see no Blu-ray on Amazon that is sold by Amazon. What am I missing? The only one that seems to be available is over $27.00. Is that what everyone paid? There is another one for $8.72 but that is out of stock, and has been since I ordered it, a month or more ago.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got my shipping notice (finally) from Amazon, and it will be here Wednesday. I know what my Thanksgiving night viewing will be!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
John Maher_289910 said:
I see no Blu-ray on Amazon that is sold by Amazon. What am I missing? The only one that seems to be available is over $27.00. Is that what everyone paid? There is another one for $8.72 but that is out of stock, and has been since I ordered it, a month or more ago.
I preordered early directly from Amazon and, after a weeks-long delay, it finally arrived on Tuesday. The final price was $9.69.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Maher_289910 said:
That's it! My arrived last week.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Amazon is currently offering it as a "Prime Exclusive" for $8.72, but it's out of stock.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
dpippel said:
Amazon is currently offering it as a "Prime Exclusive" for $8.72, but it's out of stock.
That's the same status when they did ship out my copy.

Edit: Amazon just did the "Prime Exclusive" with Witness too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finally got around to watching this over the weekend, and it's just as beautiful as RAH claimed in his initial thoughts.

But how SHOCKING that a classic film such as this is released with NO bonus material at all. Some film historian should have been engaged to provide a commentary at the very least. A desperately missed opportunity.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Matt Hough said:
I finally got around to watching this over the weekend, and it's just as beautiful as RAH claimed in his initial thoughts.

But how SHOCKING that a classic film such as this is released with NO bonus material at all. Some film historian should have been engaged to provide a commentary at the very least. A desperately missed opportunity.

The earlier Centennial Collection DVD had a bevy of special features, including a commentary with Peter Bogdanovic.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Finally got mine from Amazon UK. Why I didn't buy it from there two years ago, saving myself much bother, is a mystery. (And yes the DVD is worth holding onto for the extras.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Allansfirebird said:
The earlier Centennial Collection DVD had a bevy of special features, including a commentary with Peter Bogdanovic.
Yup, I don't understand why these extras weren't ported over so now i have those DVD discs inside the BD case and threw away the DVD case.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
davidmatychuk said:
Oh, Paramount, what are you doing? The "Zoolander" Blu-Ray gets fancy packaging and a deluxe edition, while "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" loses its Collector's Edition status.
Perhaps, the remake of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence will give Paramount a reason to release it again with the proper bonus material this great film deserves from them.:)

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Robert Crawford said:
Perhaps, the remake of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence will give Paramount a reason to release it again with the proper bonus material this great film deserves from them. :)
Remake?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
macdaddy said:
Don't tamper with perfection!
They're not, they're just trying to make a movie that appeals to today's audiences. I'm not interested in this remake, but a younger audience might be.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how this can work really.

The characters & actors in Liberty Valance are what made it what it is.

It would be like remaking Lawrence of Arabia or Gone With The Wind etc., impossible.

Moshrom

Auditioning
Real Name
Angus
This certainly *has* been subjected to a moderate amount of DNR, but it is arguably the best version available. There are two DVDs, and the newer one appears to have been derived from the same master/source as the blu-ray (which I'm assuming is identical to its European counterpart). There's a sizable improvement in stability, but the old DVD looks more organic and has more 'depth' to it, despite its myriad of other issues.

Once you notice the DNR on the blu-ray, though, it's rather difficult to unsee it:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=1194&d2=1193&s1=11445&s2=11437&i=0&l=0

Look at his face, especially. The lines, the shadow beneath the brim of his hat, his nose. They have a blotchy quality to them.

And here:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=1194&d2=1193&s1=11448&s2=11440&i=3&l=0

The details of his suit (again, the lines), and look at the wood on the floor in the corner. The light mounted on the wall, too.

The DVD in these caps-a-holic comparisons is the newer one, so it has the same problems (albeit much less noticeably due to the resolution).

The old DVD can be seen here: new, old. It's quite different.

Nit-picking this may seem, but it is quite evident in motion depending on your sensitivity to these sort of things. Rising smoke, in particular, looks much better on the old DVD.

So while this may certainly be watchable and may possibly be the overall best available version of the film at the moment, it's very far from perfect. When this is inevitably restored (it's Ford and among his best works, so it certainly will be, eventually) expect a significant improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks