What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Domestic release) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Steve...O said:
Thanks for the "few words". This will indeed be my first viewing......however...... my August pre-order is still stuck in Amazon's out of stock warehouse.

Anyone heard anything about the status of this title?
The only thing I've found out is that it just isn't Amazon having difficulty getting this disc. Perhaps there is a distribution or manufacturing problem.

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
OliverK said:
Hyperbole I'd say. The German disc still doesn't look quite right to me - textures and grain seem to be muted or maybe in the case of the grain fake and edges exaggerated. That is a look that doesn't compute with me but then I sit rather close to a projected image so others with longer viewing distances will not be affected as much in any case regardless of their preferences. No idea if this was tweaked a bit for the US release or not but it wouldn't have taken much for me to be much more happy with the German Blu-ray.

I agree. It's not horrible, but there's definitely something off about it. The grain looks like it's moving around on top of the image instead of being part of it. (This was the Danish/German BD.)

CobraVerde

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
haineshisway said:
So, then back to my original point - if they are all the same transfer, which I assume they are, why were people saying the German disc was an affront and a DNR mess, when the same people apparently said the UK disc was fine. Doesn't compute.

Well, most people don't know what they're talking about, so that probably explains it. Like when all the hoopla arose over Breakfast at Tiffany's being "slathered in DNR" when in actuality the source material used soft focus filters.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
Robert Harris said:
Another John Ford film, this one for Paramount in 1962.

This Blu-ray from Warner Bros. is what Blu-rays should all be about, as like it's UK counterpart, it's perfect in every way.

Rich blacks, gorgeous grain, a fully rendered gray scale, a beautifully resolved image, and rock steady.

I was about to write the words, one of the great westerns, but I'm not.

I consider it one of the great films. I've loved it since I saw it in its original release.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence is required viewing for anyone who wishes to consider themselves a cinephile. It's also one of those films which makes me jealous of those seeing it for the first time.

'buff said.

A Great Blu-ray of a Great classic film.

Did I mention James Stewart, John Wayne, Vera Miles, Lee Marvin, Edmund O'Brien and Woody Strode?

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
Why the heck is everybody out of stock so soon after release? Mine has been on backorder at BBY since 15 Oct. Any word for the scarcity?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ArnoldLayne said:
Why the heck is everybody out of stock so soon after release? Mine has been on backorder at BBY since 15 Oct. Any word for the scarcity?
Apparently, several Paramount titles distributed by Warner had some kind of supply chain issue that has affected available inventories across the market place. Purely speculation on my part, but I think there might have been a manufacturing downtime problem at the Blu-ray replication plant.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I just ordered the region-free Blu from Amazon UK. Same disc, right? Price is only a buck and change higher.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Same here:

Liberty.jpg

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Got it in the mail and watched it tonight, it's marvelous. This film gets better and better every year. The ending is still devastating.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Have never seen this AFAIK, but have (coincidentally) read a lot about it lately. It's in my amazon.ca cart waiting for 13 cents more for the free shipping. Who says I'm cheap? (I noticed at .com they're saying OOS and "exclusively for Prime members" now.)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
When it looked like the disc was coming from Amazon, I cancelled my UK order--but when it never shipped, I reinstated my UK order and now it's finally, actually coming. Never had this happen before and don't know why I didn't just order the region free UK disc two years ago when it became available.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I'm going to sit down and watch this Region A BD release and compare it to the German Region B BD release I bought over three years ago. I've already placed the two discs from the 2009 Centennial DVD release into this Region A BD case for the bonus material that wasn't ported over and discarded the DVD case. Also, I deleted a previous 2001 DVD release from my DVD Profiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks