What's new

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I would also posit that Mr. Hawks’ quite extraordinary career began in 1917.

His major works, for those who subscribe to the auteur theory, occurred from the early to mid ‘30s into the late ‘40s - early ‘50s. That was a clean twenty year run over three decades.

The ‘50s -‘60s seemed a bit more tired, for lack of a better word. His works even during that era were still quality films, but if you want to see Pure Hawks, screen the likes of Twentieth Century, Scarface, Bringing Up Baby, Only Angels Have Wings, Sergeant York, To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep…

And for an education, pick up a copy of Todd McCarthy’s wonderful bio.
I have Hawks on Hawks by Joseph McBride on my Kindle queue. I shall have to track down the McCarthy book as well, thanks.

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I enjoy both Rio Bravo and El Dorado. For me, Rio Bravo edges out El Dorado.

I’ve always considered El Dorado to be more of a comedy. Rio Bravo has its amusing sections mostly involving Feathers, Stumpy, and Carlos. But there is nothing like Mitchum going cross-eyed when knocked unconscious or his alcohol cure. Or Colorado‘s Chinese disguise or throwing himself under racing horses.

And as for ”professionals”, Colorado Is a pro. Mississippi is not.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

I’ve always considered El Dorado to be more of a comedy. Rio Bravo has its amusing sections mostly involving Feathers, Stumpy, and Carlos. But there is nothing like Mitchum going cross-eyed when knocked unconscious or his alcohol cure. Or Colorado‘s Chinese disguise or throwing himself under racing horses.

No, he isn't. He's hopeless, as Wayne asserts. He has to prove himself as the film goes along, but he'll still never really be one of the gang like Thornton, Hannah, or McLeod.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

That's my take too which is why I think Rio Bravo is a better "western" film along with less plot points. With that said, I can understand why other people would think differently, especially when it comes to enjoying El Dorado more than Rio Bravo as comedic sequences are so subjective depending on one's sense of humor.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe

I would disagree. Mississippi doesn't know how to use a handgun, but he surely knows how to SURVIVE. He killed several men off screen by the time he catches up to Charlie. Colorado is a professional " gunmen ", but Mississippi knew how to kill and stay alive... something most professionalare are able to do. Cole saw that knack within him when he came to that table to confront Charlie. Only a fool or a man who was confident in himself would do that when the man obviously had friends at said table with him. When it's over both cole and McLeod are impressed with him but McLeod needs men who can use a gun. Cole simply needed someone crazy enough ( but good/brave enough) to help him aid JP in such a dangerous fight.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would disagree. Mississippi doesn't know how to use a handgun, but he surely knows how to SURVIVE. He killed several men off screen by the time he catches up to Charlie. Colorado is a professional " gunmen ", but Mississippi knew how to kill and stay alive... something most professionalare are able to do. Cole saw that knack within him when he came to that table to confront Charlie. Only a fool or a man who was confident in himself would do that when the man obviously had friends at said table with him. When it's over both cole and McLeod are impressed with him but McLeod needs men who can use a gun. Cole simply needed someone crazy enough ( but good/brave enough) to help him aid JP in such a dangerous fight.
Just because you're good with a knife and can kill men with it because he was driven by revenge, doesn't necessarily make you a professional. Mississippi is still "green" as hell and is lucky he's still alive when he met Thornton. Colorado is a professional "gunman" trained by his father, another professional gunman by the way Chance reacts to hearing that he's Rocky Ryan's kid. Furthermore, Colorado appears to be a little wiser/smarter than Mississippi as he seems to be more cautious and observant of his surroundings.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
... whilst decimating our forests and adding to the problems of climate change.
While I love the snark- I had to comment on the last bit. The planet is actually greener than ever, with MORE trees than it had 20 years ago.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
While I love the snark- I had to comment on the last bit. The planet is actually greener than ever, with MORE trees than it had 20 years ago.

Actually, that doesn't indicate it's "greener than ever". Greener than 20 years ago, yes, but, ever? Almost certainly not (and it's probably not remotely close either... and I'm not a climate change activist or anything like that). But that progress is certainly good and promising nonetheless.

Anyhoo, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

_Man_

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Actually, that doesn't indicate it's "greener than ever". Greener than 20 years ago, yes, but, ever? Almost certainly not (and it's probably not remotely close either... and I'm not a climate change activist or anything like that). But that progress is certainly good and promising nonetheless.

Anyhoo, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

_Man_
Agreed. ”Greener than ever” would Manhattan Island back to where it was centuries ago.

Trees, streams, wildlife…

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I must admit that I found it rather shocking that so many people have a preference of El Dorado over Rio Bravo. Perhaps because many of us watched it in a movie theater during its theatrical run. Rio Bravo's theatrical run happened when I was toddler so my first memory of it was on a TV broadcast which occurred before seeing El Dorado in a movie theater in 1967. I like El Dorado very much, but IMO, Rio Bravo not only a better movie, but is my preference between the two films. El Dorado has a few more plot points than Rio Bravo which makes the 1959 movie a tighter storyline.
Rio Bravo and El Dorado are both great Movies and I am glad Hawks and Wayne did them both. El Dorado has a few scenes that are not in town while Rio Bravo only has the opening credits that are not in town. I keep changing which one I like the most. Lately I would say Rio Bravo. Both of them are great!
What would really surprise many is that of the so called trilogy of Rio Bravo, El Dorado, and Rio Lobo, Rio Lobo is my favorite! Rio Lobo is my all time favorite Western! Everybody has their favorites!

Robert

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
'Do you remember this hat'?
'I shore do.Pretty fancy fer a cowboy.'

You can buy a replica.Not my style.I own a Adam Cartwright/Paladin black stetson.
1688581317506.png

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
'Do you remember this hat'?
'I shore do.Pretty fancy fer a cowboy.'

You can buy a replica.Not my style.I own a Adam Cartwright/Paladin black stetson.
View attachment 189926

I always thought that was a pretty cool hat. I wouldn't get caught dead wearing something like that, but cool nonetheless. (Mind you, I wouldn't get caught dead wearing a hat of any kind, so I might not be the best judge of quality here.)

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Nothing in EL DORADO matches that opening scene in the bar for setting up character/conflict with pure visual storytelling. Dean Martin is better than Mitchum by a country mile. RIO BRAVO is fresh and subtle where the other two are obvious copies. I like Nelson's low-key quiet and they give him good lines. Caan was obviously a real actor so his performance is different. I do love the Chris George relationship and the violence and shotgun blasts are particularly brutal and modern. And every disc release should have the original poster on the cover.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Nothing in EL DORADO matches that opening scene in the bar for setting up character/conflict with pure visual storytelling. Dean Martin is better than Mitchum by a country mile. RIO BRAVO is fresh and subtle where the other two are obvious copies. I like Nelson's low-key quiet and they give him good lines. Caan was obviously a real actor so his performance is different. I do love the Chris George relationship and the violence and shotgun blasts are particularly brutal and modern. And every disc release should have the original poster on the cover.
Ricky had lines he couldn't sell. He was to weak of a actor to play that part. Eldorado got a key element correct that Rio Bravo badly needed. It had a character who was just as good if not better than the protagonist. Good enough to the point the protagonist had to cheat to win. There is no sense of danger in Rio bravo. Your killing time hanging out with a trio of 1950s icons waiting for them to kill the bad guys ( claude Akins and John Russell) who were killed by the end of every tv western they were in at that time.There was no suspense there, and even though we are comparing both movies, this is why High Noon is better than Bravo. Chris George charcter is the difference between these 2 films and the conflict is stronger and leads to our heros in the story having to think outside the box to win. And ultimately professionalism is highlighted stronger in this movie than in bravo too. The last lines by George and wayne proves it. Wayne couldn't afford to leave anything to chance even though Chris George was willing to fight him fairly. Bravo is a good movie but it has cons all over the place. High Noon is superior to both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks