What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - High Noon -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In Darkness at High Noon - Directed by Lionel Chetwynd mention is made of two times Wayne and Foreman met. The full movie is available to view on youtube.

---The first instance quotes from Foreman's documents (starts at the 1:28:05 mark.) Foreman says that Wayne convinced him that unless he 'named names' he would not work in this town again. Foreman realized he needed to get a passport while he still could.

---The second time occurred in the late 1960's. The meeting is told by Foreman's daughter beginning at the 1:49:00 stamp.
I thought Foreman never named any names.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Apocryphal Oscars stories or not, Wayne did brag in a Playboy interview about playing role in driving Carl Foreman out of the country. His activism in the name of anti-Communism, and all the excesses that he condoned or even actively participated in, is a big reason why some people resent him to this day.

While the political circumspection on these forums is laudable and appreciated, you just can't discuss movies like High Noon without touching on politics.
It was an awful time in this country that probably robbed us from seeing more great movies that were never written and/or filmed. The overall damage to the art of filmmaking probably can’t be quantified nor the damage to so many innocent lives of people blacklisted including family members.

Last edited:

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
I thought Foreman never named any names.
Foreman never 'named names'.

After being bought out by Stanley Kramer, Foreman had tried to form his own production company. He even had Gary Cooper as a backer in this venture. But this effort faced too many headwinds. The meeting with Wayne was an attempt to stave off those opposed. And Wayne's aggressive attempt to get him to 'name names or face the fact that he would not work in this town again' just solidified Foreman's own opinion that he did, indeed, need to go to Europe. In that sense, John Wayne did Foreman a favor. He got a passport.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
The defining western of that decade. I don't think it's the best western made ( the wild bunch changed filmmaking for the last 55 years) but it's one of the few that asks you hard questions as a viewer. Cooper is tasked with being a potential coward ( to himself as well as the town), loyal ( to a town that has deserted him), and judicious to his badge and oath. Under normal circumstances most would run away at the sign of such danger especially when their so called friends don't show up. The film has aged well but the questions it's asking the viewer are timeless. And in a age where numerous political and moral issues are thrown in one's face left and right. Will we actually see and do what is right as a citzen when we see true evil? As to wayne I've always loved the CHARCTER John Wayne. I never knew the man... maybe I wouldn't want to know. I do know Mr. Zinnemann and Foreman gave us a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expertrenos
Recent bookmarks