What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Another bad PR move!

Don’t disagree, but I’m sure they must be looking at how many people never touched the DVDs in the “BD + DVD” combo packs they did for over a decade and come to a conclusion that the number of people not buying from lack of remastered BD didn’t come close to the savings from not including a disc most buyers won’t ever touch.
The real question here is, will the 4K disc be missing any special features that were on the Blu-ray, like National Lampoon's Vacation? One of the consolations was that on the release date, some of those special features missing from the 4K disc were included on Apple TV (iOS/TVOS devices only) and Movies Anywhere.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Short of Walter Brennan, Jack Elam is a pretty good choice. Think I saw it at the Drive In with my Dad.
Jack Elam = western legend :)

I have to say that my favourite of the three is El Dorado. Reading Robert's review I don't get the impression that it's chalk & cheese between the old & new transfers, but Warner can only work with what they have & I'm sure the new one is the best possible effort.

I never got the - stick a DVD in with the Blu-ray - idea, I never bothered to look at the DVD, but I do like the choice between a remastered Blu-ray & the 4K.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Jack Elam = western legend :)

I have to say that my favourite of the three is El Dorado. Reading Robert's review I don't get the impression that it's chalk & cheese between the old & new transfers, but Warner can only work with what they have & I'm sure the new one is the best possible effort.

I never got the - stick a DVD in with the Blu-ray - idea, I never bothered to look at the DVD, but I do like the choice between a remastered Blu-ray & the 4K.

Same here.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Of the three Hawkes films, El Dorado is my least favorite. I don't really like any of the replacement actors in it. Rio Lobo is probably the least serious of the three, but I think it's a lot of fun, and I enjoy the Civil War intro and all the people in it. Short of Walter Brennan, Jack Elam is a pretty good choice. Think I saw it at the Drive In with my Dad.
Mitchum was the better drunk. With a far better redemption than dude in bravo. " what's wrong same hat, same drunken sherrif, let me hear you laugh... let me hear you laugh! "

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
“Ever been bit by a dead bee?”
I always wondered why Hawks didn't recycle that bit of dialogue in Rio Bravo, as he used so much else from previous films, for instance, Angie Dickinson saying after John Wayne kisses her a second time, "It's even better when you help."

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
The only real problem with Ricky Nelson is that he isn't James Caan. Caan ended up owning the reworked sidekick part in El Dorado.
I confess that the handsome, hapless young Mr Nelson was always the constant thorn for me, taking me out of the moment to wonder if director Hawks was aware of the inadequacy during filming, or watching the dailies; could he not find the patience to draw something better from him, or is this, heaven help us, the improved version? I certainly think James Caan took the similar role and gave a far and away more credible performance. It so happens that I saw El Dorado (during its theatrical run) before catching up with Rio Bravo on television, and watching this gave me a deja vu head scratching with the vague notion “haven’t I seen this before somewhere,” except I’d actually never seen it. I finally added two and two, but this was all way before even VHS so details weren’t easy for my teenage self to dredge up. As a result, I’ve been a bit partial to El Dorado over the years, even as late as seeing a mediocre print of this on TCM many years ago. But I suspect seeing this with the improvements noted could well make a difference in perceptions. (As to Frankie Avalon in The Alamo, other than seeming a mite anachronistic, and Fabian in North to Alaska getting an easier pass with light comedic material, neither affected my reaction to those films to nearly the extent Nelson did here, bringing to mind a mannequin with a pleasant singing voice.)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I confess that the handsome, hapless young Mr Nelson was always the constant thorn for me, taking me out of the moment to wonder if director Hawks was aware of the inadequacy during filming, or watching the dailies; could he not find the patience to draw something better from him, or is this, heaven help us, the improved version? I certainly think James Caan took the similar role and gave a far and away more credible performance. It so happens that I saw El Dorado (during its theatrical run) before catching up with Rio Bravo on television, and watching this gave me a deja vu head scratching with the vague notion “haven’t I seen this before somewhere,” except I’d actually never seen it. I finally added two and two, but this was all way before even VHS so details weren’t easy for my teenage self to dredge up. As a result, I’ve been a bit partial to El Dorado over the years, even as late as seeing a mediocre print of this on TCM many years ago. But I suspect seeing this with the improvements noted could well make a difference in perceptions. (As to Frankie Avalon in The Alamo, other than seeming a mite anachronistic, and Fabian in North to Alaska getting an easier pass with light comedic material, neither affected my reaction to those films to nearly the extent Nelson did here, bringing to mind a mannequin with a pleasant singing voice.)
Ricky was such a natural and hilarious when he was young on O&H but got progressively more wooden as the years went on. Weird.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I must admit that I found it rather shocking that so many people have a preference of El Dorado over Rio Bravo. Perhaps because many of us watched it in a movie theater during its theatrical run. Rio Bravo's theatrical run happened when I was toddler so my first memory of it was on a TV broadcast which occurred before seeing El Dorado in a movie theater in 1967. I like El Dorado very much, but IMO, Rio Bravo not only a better movie, but is my preference between the two films. El Dorado has a few more plot points than Rio Bravo which makes the 1959 movie a tighter storyline.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
When Joseph McBride interviewed Howard Hawks for Hawks on Hawks, he commented on how funny that Caan was in El Dorado, and Hawks said it was because he never told Caan that it was a comedy. He may have handled Caan differently partly based on his experiences with Nelson (as well as a few others). Hawks was a professional through and through, both onscreen and off, and I don't think that he really liked directing people. He expected them to do their jobs. So he wasn't prone to manipulating actors, but in this case, he realized that Caan was going to be too obvious "acting" funny, so he opted to get the performance that he wanted another way.

I don't worry about ranking things against each other, so I don't spend too much timing thinking about whether Rio Bravo, El Dorado, or Rio Lobo is the "best" or "worst" compared to each other. They all have their merits, and they all have their weaknesses. But there's no getting around the fact that El Dorado is one of my absolute favorite Hawks films, for a variety of reasons. It's the most Hawksian of all of his westerns, and the ultimate expression of his views on professionalism. He famously made Rio Bravo because he was upset that a professional lawman in High Noon would beg civilians for help, so that provided the primary core that he would reuse in the two films that followed, but the whole notion of Hawksian professionalism is at its most explicit in El Dorado. It's the only one of his westerns where a character actually uses the word "professional" to refer to themselves. (Rio Lobo came close when Wayne's character explains to the former Confederate soldiers why he doesn't hold what they did during the war against them, but it never actually uses the word.) The key is the relationship between Cole Thornton (Wayne) and Nelse McLeod (Christopher George). They're both professional hired guns, not lawmen, and they have equal respect for each other's abilities. The only reason why they end up fighting against each other is that they were hired by opposite sides. They have more in common with each other than they do with the people that they're working for, because they're the only professionals. It's arguably one of the single most important relationships in any Hawks film.

But breaking my own rules and indulging in comparatives for a moment, I do think that El Dorado has the overall edge in terms of casting. Caan is the clear winner over Nelson, and while Dean Martin was excellent, Robert Mitchum was no slouch. I also adore Charlene Holt, and it helps that her character is a much stronger, more Hawksian woman than Feathers in Rio Bravo (that's no knock against Angie Dickinson, just her character). For me, Arthur Hunnicutt is more or less an even trade for Walter Brennan. Add in Michele Carey, who is undeniably easy on the eyes, and you have a better cast overall. Still, the key is Christopher George, and there's no equivalent for that character in Rio Bravo. He's the reason why Hawks expressed the themes of professionalism more clearly in El Dorado than he did in Rio Bravo, so it has always resonated more with me.

They're both great films, in different ways. I wouldn't necessarily call Rio Lobo a great film, but it's an underrated one, even by Hawks himself (who was fairly dismissive of it). Despite some flaws, it does refine the themes from El Dorado in the way that it handles the relationship between Wayne's character and the confederates. While the three films were never intended to serve as a trilogy, they really do reinforce each other in interesting ways, and are best appreciated as a group.

/Edited to clarify my meaning

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rio Bravo uses the word "professional" when Wayne tells Bond that Nathan Burdette's men are all "professional" only worried about collecting their next pay and not their families like Bond's men.

I also disagree with you about the cast except for Nelson. I think Martin was better than Mitchum and perhaps gave his best acting performance. Also, Brennan was superior to Hunnicutt with his silly-ass bugle. Furthermore, I like Dickinson's Feathers more than Holt's character. Just a more memorable character in my opinion. Too many different characters in El Dorado versus Rio Bravo.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Rio Bravo uses the word "professional" when Wayne tells Bond that Nathan Burdette's men are all "professional" only worried about collecting their next pay and not their families like Bond's men.
True enough, but that's in a slightly different context. In El Dorado, Thornton uses the word to refer to McLeod and himself, not others, as a definition of who they are. It's like in Once Upon a Time in the West, when Bronson's unnamed character actually refers to himself and Frank as an "ancient race." It's a statement of who they are, not of any kind of lack of personal values that other people might have, like Nathan Burdette's men. In the case of El Dorado, being a professional is the personal value.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
True enough, but that's in a slightly different context. In El Dorado, Thornton uses the word to refer to McLeod and himself, not others, as a definition of who they are. It's like in Once Upon a Time in the West, when Bronson's unnamed character actually refers to himself and Frank as an "ancient race." It's a statement of who they are, not of any kind of lack of personal values that other people might have, like Nathan Burdette's men. In the case of El Dorado, being a professional is the personal value.
Yeah, but Thornton and McLeod are hired guns which is why Thornton uses that word as a description because they're professional gunmen. While Chance is a lawman and clearly states to Bond, that Martin, before he started drinking was the best man with a gun he ever worked with. Chance's prism for himself and Martin is that their professional lawmen while going up against hired killers/gunmen that are professional in their choice of employment.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Yeah, but Thornton and McLeod are hired guns which is why Thornton uses that word as a description because they're professional gunmen. While Chance is a lawman and clearly states to Bond, that Martin, before he started drinking was the best man with a gun he ever worked with. Chance's prism for himself and Martin is that their professional lawmen while going up against hired killers/gunmen that are professional in their choice of employment.
That's why El Dorado makes the point better, because it divorces professionalism from the nature of being a lawman, and with the hero, not with the villains. In El Dorado, the lines between the two blur. Thornton defines professionalism as having the skillset and being able to use it, divorced from notions of law and lawlessness. Whether pilots in Only Angels Have Wings, mobsters in Scarface, or lawmen/gunfighters in the westerns, professionals are as professionals do. That concept is most explicit in El Dorado, and it's serves as an important precursor to the kind of professionalism that Michael Mann would develop in his crime films -- only Mann would completely sever any ties between professionalism and morality. But it's really only a small leap from Thornton and McLeod in El Dorado to Vincent Hanna and Neil McCauley in Heat.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's why El Dorado makes the point better, because it divorces professionalism from the nature of being a lawman, and with the hero, not with the villains. In El Dorado, the lines between the two blur. Thornton defines professionalism as having the skillset and being able to use it, divorced from notions of law and lawlessness. Whether pilots in Only Angels Have Wings, mobsters in Scarface, or lawmen/gunfighters in the westerns, professionals are as professionals do. That concept is most explicit in El Dorado, and it's serves as an important precursor to the kind of professionalism that Michael Mann would develop in his crime films -- only Mann would completely sever any ties between professionalism and morality. But it's really only a small leap from Thornton and McLeod in El Dorado to Vincent Hanna and Neil McCauley in Heat.
IMO, being a lawman is being a professional without having to say it.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
IMO, being a lawman is being a professional without having to say it.
Being a lawman doesn't necessarily make you a professional, which is why Hawks reacted so negatively to High Noon. That's why removing the context of being a lawman from the Thornton character was so important thematically. As a reaction to High Noon, Rio Bravo didn't make its points as clearly as El Dorado did. It's all personal preference, and again, I don't consider either film better than the other, because that's a zero-sum game. It's just why El Dorado resonates more with me personally as a Hawks devotee than Rio Bravo does. It's also why I see more good in Rio Lobo than many people do, Hawks included.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Being a lawman doesn't necessarily make you a professional, which is why Hawks reacted so negatively to High Noon. That's why removing the context of being a lawman from the Thornton character was so important thematically. As a reaction to High Noon, Rio Bravo didn't make its points as clearly as El Dorado did. It's all personal preference, and again, I don't consider either film better than the other, because that's a zero-sum game. It's just why El Dorado resonates more with me personally as a Hawks devotee than Rio Bravo does. It's also why I see more good in Rio Lobo than many people do, Hawks included.
To be a good lawman, you have to be a professional. Chance is clearly a good lawman that doesn't want to place non-professionals in harm's way which is why he rejected Bond's request to use his drivers are deputies. However, he was ready to accept Nelson's character as a deputy because he makes his living with his gun. Thus, a professional gunman like Burdette's hired guns.

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I think Ricky Nelson was just fine. His character of Colorado Ryan is low key,quiet but confident.Is his performance a little wooden? yes but Ricky Nelson simply never showed much expression on Ozzie and Harriet even when he sang.He is more like George than Paul of the Beatles.I would have preferred Elvis in the role.
The pace of Rio Bravo is a little too slow and it would not have hurt to have had a couple scenes take place out of town.
I love the western paintings that run over the opening credits of El Dorado.I did a cover version of the title song in my rich baritone that was originally performed by George Alexander which you can enjoy on youtube.Just kidding I can't sing. When I try to do my fav Ricky Nelson song 'Hello Mary Lou' dogs cover their ears with their paws.

Last edited:

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
When Joseph McBride interviewed Howard Hawks for Hawks on Hawks, he commented on how funny that Caan was in El Dorado, and Hawks said it was because he never told Caan that it was a comedy. He may have handled Caan differently partly based on his experiences with Nelson (as well as a few others). Hawks was a professional through and through, both onscreen and off, and I don't think that he really liked directing people. He expected them to do their jobs. So he wasn't prone to manipulating actors, but in this case, he realized that Caan was going to be too obvious "acting" funny, so he opted to get the performance that he wanted another way.

I don't worry about ranking things against each other, so I don't spend too much timing thinking about whether Rio Bravo, El Dorado, or Rio Lobo is the "best" or "worst" compared to each other. They all have their merits, and they all have their weaknesses. But there's no getting around the fact that El Dorado is one of my absolute favorite Hawks films, for a variety of reasons. It's the most Hawksian of all of his westerns, and the ultimate expression of his views on professionalism. He famously made Rio Bravo because he was upset that a professional lawman in High Noon would beg civilians for help, so that provided the primary core that he would reuse in the two films that followed, but the whole notion of Hawksian professionalism is at its most explicit in El Dorado. It's the only one of his westerns where a character actually uses the word "professional" to refer to themselves. (Rio Lobo came close when Wayne's character explains to the former Confederate soldiers why he doesn't hold what they did during the war against them, but it never actually uses the word.) The key is the relationship between Cole Thornton (Wayne) and Nelse McLeod (Christopher George). They're both professional hired guns, not lawmen, and they have equal respect for each other's abilities. The only reason why they end up fighting against each other is that they were hired by opposite sides. They have more in common with each other than they do with the people that they're working for, because they're the only professionals. It's arguably one of the single most important relationships in any Hawks film.

But breaking my own rules and indulging in comparatives for a moment, I do think that El Dorado has the overall edge in terms of casting. Caan is the clear winner over Nelson, and while Dean Martin was excellent, Robert Mitchum was no slouch. I also adore Charlene Holt, and it helps that her character is a much stronger, more Hawksian woman than Feathers in Rio Bravo (that's no knock against Angie Dickinson, just her character). For me, Arthur Hunnicutt is more or less an even trade for Walter Brennan. Add in Michele Carey, who is undeniably easy on the eyes, and you have a better cast overall. Still, the key is Christopher George, and there's no equivalent for that character in Rio Bravo. He's the reason why Hawks expressed the themes of professionalism more clearly in El Dorado than he did in Rio Bravo, so it has always resonated more with me.

They're both great films, in different ways. I wouldn't necessarily call Rio Lobo a great film, but it's an underrated one, even by Hawks himself (who was fairly dismissive of it). Despite some flaws, it does refine the themes from El Dorado in the way that it handles the relationship between Wayne's character and the confederates. While the three films were never intended to serve as a trilogy, they really do reinforce each other in interesting ways, and are best appreciated as a group.

/Edited to clarify my meaning
Christopher george charcter separates the two films for me. That charcter is the missing piece to rio bravo. John Russell and Claude Akins were great bad guys but George has a air of mystery about him. You believe he is good enough to kill wayne and mitchum.

CG- " you didn't give me a chance at all did you"

JW-" your too good to give a chance too"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks