What's new

Ignacio

Agent
Real Name
Ignacio Aguilar
It's funny because the editor of American Cinematographer, Herb A. Lightman, attended the shoot and was given an extra camera to operate during the shooting of the final confrontation scene. He was clearly delighted, and had nothing but praises for the then upcoming film. Which is ironic given the reviews the film got back in November 1980. The articles are great, though, but Vilmos never got too technical.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
After all of the hoopla in 1980, I had never seen this film. When it was shown on the Criterion ChannMel, I watched it and could not believe how much I enjoyed it. I have since purchased it. I am bumping this thread because I recently came across the documentary “The Final Cut” and it renewed my interest enough to watch it again. A great film.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I still haven't seen the film, I just don't fancy it, there's a number of famous films that I have no interest in seeing (or the little guy in my head who really makes the decisions has no interest in). I do remember very much enjoying the book Final Cut many years ago, it's a miracle that Michael Cimino ever got another directing gig.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I was just about to go rewatch this on the 3-disc German BRD set the other day when I remembered that it lists a commentary with Lem Dobbs, Julie Kirgo, and Nick Redman... but I'm unable to find it for the roadshow or theatrical cuts on any of the discs. Has anyone else been able to locate it, or was this a misprint on the packaging?

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I was just about to go rewatch this on the 3-disc German BRD set the other day when I remembered that it lists a commentary with Lem Dobbs, Julie Kirgo, and Nick Redman... but I'm unable to find it for the roadshow or theatrical cuts on any of the discs. Has anyone else been able to locate it, or was this a misprint on the packaging?
I have the German BD and can confirm that the audio commentary does exist. I haven't listened to it yet, but this thread has peaked my curiosity so I'll give it a listen later this week.

Attachments

• HGate_Booklet.jpg
    HGate_Booklet.jpg
    974.3 KB · Views: 35

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I have the German BD and can confirm that the audio commentary does exist. I haven't listened to it yet, but this thread has peaked my curiosity so I'll give it a listen later this week.
The packaging may list it, but I still haven't been able to find it on the discs. Maybe you'll have better luck than I.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
The packaging may list it, but I still haven't been able to find it on the discs. Maybe you'll have better luck than I.
You are correct, that audio commentary is not found on any of the 3 discs: Restored, Recut, and DVD. Too bad, would've loved to have heard it.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
It’s still a marvelous film -though flawed-IMHO. The hatred was more the result of the built up, the larger than life production, run time and anger at what the film did to the studio. I’d love a 4K

Ignacio

Agent
Real Name
Ignacio Aguilar
The OCN was cut to the second, shorter version of the film, so if it ever happens, it won't be from the best source.

The current Criterion Blu-ray was mastered from color separations at 2K.

Anyway, any improvements from a 4K Blu-ray would be in terms of HDR mastering, better codec, less compression, etc. as the film was already very soft to begin with, and the negative was pushed and flashed, and mostly shot through Double Fog and anamorphic zoom lenses, so there's little room for improvements in terms of resolution.

If a 4K ever happens, I hope they go with the original color correction, with more earthy tones than the Michael Cimino approved transfer, which is good, but clearly more colorful than the film was.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
The blu-ray looks really good but I agree the color timing of the original would have been ideal.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I saw Heaven's Gate twice the week it first opened and remember the colors fondly in comparison to the blu.
Saw it too and will always remember it being so richly detailed in addition as it was a pristine print
But what I remember most is the reaction at intermission on people’s faces like wtf did I just watch? The sound and especially the music was impeccable too.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I saw the original release several times in LA before it got pulled. It did look gorgeous, not what we are seeing in the BR. My biggest complaint, however, was the removal of the intermission in the BR. Although the film needs it, it is such a memorable moment with John Hurt disappearing into the plume of the train's smoke. It's a shame that was sacrificed.

The Library of Congress has the 70mm premiere showprint of HEAVEN'S GATE which they showed about 9 years ago. Would be great if they did that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks