What's new

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I’m aware that HG and AN were not pitted against each other in the Academy Award races. Just that imo the superior film didn’t win its contest.
Ah, fair point (and one that I agree with).

Your removal of the opening ‘Harvard’ scenes intrigues me as I never understood where they fit in except to pad the running time. Joseph Cotton’s speech went on and on for no good reason as did the outdoor dance sequence . I also never understood what Jeff Bridges(a brilliant actor) was doing in this picture.
I’m sure that your version of HG is far superior to what the makers came up with…
I'm actually reading the recent Cimino biography and finished the section on Heaven's Gate last night. It's a pretty good book, btw. Both the Harvard and Yacht scenes were shot after they completed initial photography. Ciminio submitted a budget of $3m, United started to agree, then he bumped it up to $5.7m, UA said "Nope, come home" and, ta da, he suddenly was able lot pull it off with the original budget of $3m. As to the purpose of those scenes, as many times as I have watched this film (well over a two dozen times), I've never understand the value of the Harvard scene. Beautifully shot and choreographed with the music, but offering zero in understanding the characters or the film's themes. I thought I would miss it in "my version" but that never happens. Cutting them out gets you into the film within about 20 minutes: all the drama, conflict, and intensity of the story. Imagine in the Godfather if you saw the wedding for 25 minutes and THEN you saw the scene with Bonasera, that's what that Harvard sequence does to HG.

If I remember the story correctly (I'm sure I'm not), when RAH was working with Lean on restoring "Lawrence", RAH discovered this amazing shot that was in the original film. Lean saw it and said to cut it, it wasn't needed to tell the story. In many ways Cimino didn't learn this lesson: Never fall in love with your film, it will cloud your judgement.

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
Just to offer a sideways opinion that is no way obviates the previous one offered by owen35: I find the opening scenes at Harvard to be the heart and soul of the film, and they've always struck me, even on a first viewing of the original version all those years ago, as heartbreaking and enthralling. Just my own emotional response of course!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I’m aware that HG and AN were not pitted against each other in the Academy Award races. Just that imo the superior film didn’t win its contest.
Your removal of the opening ‘Harvard’ scenes intrigues me as I never understood where they fit in except to pad the running time. Joseph Cotton’s speech went on and on for no good reason as did the outdoor dance sequence . I also never understood what Jeff Bridges(a brilliant actor) was doing in this picture.
I’m sure that your version of HG is far superior to what the makers came up with…
What about the brilliantly shot and never ending skating sequence?
A good pair of shears would have done wonders with this film and The Deer Hunter.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
What about the brilliantly shot and never ending skating sequence?
The roller skating sequence did lend itself to one of The Simpsons' more random movie references:

Rate & Review: 3 Scenes Plus a Tag from a Marriage (XABF06 ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks