What's new

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Well, despite Amazon telling me I wouldn't get the disc until February 3rd, I got a shipping notice from them that I'll have it tomorrow. That's "Good News" indeed (sorry, but I couldn't resist!)
Will, the same thing happened to me. Yesterday my Amazon order page said Feb 6th. I received no notification and suddenly four Blu-Rays appeared on my doorstep about 11AM, including "Good News" & "Pajama Game". Not that I'm complaining.

I sampled the first scene of "Good News" & now I understand why James Agee called Joan McCracken a "libidinous peanut". The green dress she was wearing seemed to jump out of the screen and into my apartment, which I'm not complaining about either, as it was a very grey day. She wasn't particularly provocative. In fact, she was the soul of discretion. Still, there was just something about the way she moved, as well as her expression, that seemed to transform that college rally into a bacchanalia.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Amazon charged me for Good News and After the Thin Man several days ago, but I still haven't gotten any shipping notices. Well, it's not as if I'm lacking in material to watch.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Joan McCracken was the girl who fell down in the original cast of Oklahoma. Watch the movie. I always think that it's a slight dig at Balanchine's Serenade by Agnes.

The big band arrangement of Lucky in Love that plays when you pull up the menu of Good News sounds like early stereo and much better than anything in the film itself. Which is unfortunate as the arrangements are so great. Listen to the saxes in Pass That Peace Pipe.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw this film for the first time last night. I enjoyed it, but the Oscar nominated song 'Pass that Peace Pipe' definitely wouldn't pass with today's audience. Does anyone else think that Mel Torme looks like he is about 12 years old in this movie?

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
The big band arrangement of Lucky in Love that plays when you pull up the menu of Good News sounds like early stereo and much better than anything in the film itself. Which is unfortunate as the arrangements are so great. Listen to the saxes in Pass That Peace Pipe.
There are a few true stereo tracks on the soundtrack CD of Good News---they really do sound great. The disc also contains some material deleted from the final cut of the film. Unfortunately the Rhino CD is now out of print, and getting harder to find..... Anyone looking for the disc, you'll want to get the one with this cover:

good news 3.jpg

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Do you know what other tracks are in stereo? I would love to have Pass That Peace Pipe and Varsity Drag.
Looks like even used copies are very expensive.

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Do you know what other tracks are in stereo? I would love to have Pass That Peace Pipe and Varsity Drag.
Looks like even used copies are very expensive.
I’m curious- who does the soundtrack list as having sung “The Best Things in Life Are Free” and “Just Imagine”? Supposedly June Allyson was dubbed by Patt Hyatt on these songs. I don’t want to believe that as this sounds so much like June, down to the rasp.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
That's very surprising because it sounds exactly like Allyson. I've never heard she was dubbed. Kay Thompson said that if she could teach Allyson to sing she could teach anybody.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Well I'm shattered if this is true! I had NO idea!

Patt Hyatt is also supposed to have dubbed Allyson for the finale of TWO GIRLS AND A SAILOR and also provided the voice for Ann Todd (at the piano) during "The Dickey-Bird Song" from THREE DARING DAUGHTERS. Hearing the vocal quality at the :55 mark, it's entirely possible.

Last edited:

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Well I'm shattered if this is true! I had NO idea!

Patt Hyatt is also supposed to have dubbed Allyson for the finale of TWO GIRLS AND A SAILOR and also provided the voice for Ann Todd (at the piano) during "The Dickey-Bird Song" from THREE DARING DAUGHTERS. Hearing the vocal quality at the :55 mark, it's entirely possible.

So a little more digging and I see that Patt Hyatt also dubbed Junie in “Her Highness and the Bellboy” (found that on a Kay Thompson site). It’s the same voice as in “Good News”, must be this sneaky Patt lady and her morphing voice.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
According to IMDb June did her own singing. Sounds too perfect to me to be anyone else’s voice.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm not buying it. I went back and listened to both songs in question tonight and I just refuse to believe it. The singing voice matches June's speaking voice too much. I'm not saying Patt Hyatt didn't perhaps help with the sweeter notes that June maybe couldn't achieve (it's conceivable) but at least some of both of those songs is her natural voice. The opening verse of "Best Thing in Life" is basically talk-singing anyway and there's no way it's anyone else. The singing voice in both of those songs has no more than a casual similarity to Patt's voice in the clip above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks