What's new

John Skoda

Second Unit
Isn't the soundtrack release rights to HIGH SOCIETY owned by Capitol Records, due to Sinatra's involvement? I don't think Rhino could ever have released that one.
Yes, but Rhino has released all the tracks (except for the Overture) already. But, you're right, I bet negotiation with the Sinatra estate is the issue. Here are the Rhino sources for HIGH SOCIETY true stereo tracks.

Frank Sinatra in Hollywood:
Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
You're Sensational
Well, Did You Evah?
Mind if I Make Love to You?

Hollywood Swing and Jazz:
Now You Has Jazz
I Love You, Samantha

Romantic Duets:
True Love

Louis Armstrong at MGM:
High Society Calypso
Little One
I Love You, Samantha (Instrumental Reprise)

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Yes, but Rhino has released all the tracks (except for the Overture) already. But, you're right, I bet negotiation with the Sinatra estate is the issue. Here are the Rhino sources for HIGH SOCIETY true stereo tracks.

Frank Sinatra in Hollywood:
Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
You're Sensational
Well, Did You Evah?
Mind if I Make Love to You?

Hollywood Swing and Jazz:
Now You Has Jazz
I Love You, Samantha

Romantic Duets:
True Love

Louis Armstrong at MGM:
High Society Calypso
Little One
I Love You, Samantha (Instrumental Reprise)
Side note: High Society Calypso is abridged compared to the Capitol soundtrack album and mirrors precisely the version in the film.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I just got my copy of GOOD NEWS. What was dissapointing was that the extras - the outtake and the 1930 clips - were considerably softer than on the DVD. I'll be keeping my DVD for the better quality extras,
Yes. That's often the case with Warner Archive re-releases of SD extras. I believe it has to do with the authoring. For instance, the preview version of "The Big Sleep" is mostly unwatchable.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I just got my copy of GOOD NEWS. What was dissapointing was that the extras - the outtake and the 1930 clips - were considerably softer than on the DVD. I'll be keeping my DVD for the better quality extras,

Yes. That's often the case with Warner Archive re-releases of SD extras. I believe it has to do with the authoring. For instance, the preview version of "The Big Sleep" is mostly unwatchable.

Yes. It stinks, but blu-ray specifications disallow standard definition material from being progressively encoded on disc at 24fps. As a result, SD extras on Warner releases are always interlaced at 60fps. For the most part, they are more pleasingly presented at 24fps on their DVD incarnations. As regards the preview version of BIG SLEEP, I had to transfer the blu-ray to a double case so that I could keep the DVD as well.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
Yes. It stinks, but blu-ray specifications disallow standard definition material from being progressively encoded on disc at 24fps. As a result, SD extras on Warner releases are always interlaced at 60fps. For the most part, they are more pleasingly presented at 24fps on their DVD incarnations. As regards the preview version of BIG SLEEP, I had to transfer the blu-ray to a double case so that I could keep the DVD as well.
Yes, Will. I did the same with the preview cut, which I actually prefer. Thanks for the technical explanation.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I MUCH prefer the preview cut. Glad I'm not the only one.
The preview cut is closer to the novel, so it's much better. The problem with the release version is it's not about anything. That has its own attractions, I guess. One can see the release version as an influence on those improvisational divertissements from the French New Wave. But the novel is about something--corruption, as epitomized in Carmen Sternwood, who is both its victim and perpetrator. But since the film was envisioned as a starring vehicle for Lauren Bacall, who plays Carmen's sister, a minor character in the novel, Carmen had to be pushed aside, which means the solution to the mystery is never really revealed, as Carmen is the key. According to one of Raymond Chandler's letters, the end of the novel was cut as there was concern among the Warners brass that Carmen, and the actress playing her, would overshadow Lauren Bacall. But there's more of Carmen, and more of the actual plot and character interactions, in the preview cut. It makes a lot more sense, and is more satisfying to watch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artscience100