What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Douglas Fairbanks: Robin Hood & The Black Pirate -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Cohen is issuing Douglas Fairbanks' 1922 Robin Hood along with Black Pirate, which has previously been released as single.

The good news is that Robin Hood is a very nice representation of the film, derived from a quality element. Timing seems to be spot on, with (hopefully) appropriate original tints. Grain structure appears proper.

I'm thrilled to have this film on Blu-ray.

Coming along for the ride - consider it a free extra - is the 1925 Technicolor Black Pirate, which unfortunately is based upon elements that are, in a word - meh.

Technicolor never looked like this. I presume it's derived from the old Rohauer Eastman dupe, and it's pretty awful. I suggest that anyone who purchases this disc bypasses it entirely.

The good news is that the film has recently been restored by MOMA's James Layton (co-author with David Pierce) of the absolute best tome on early Technicolor, and his co-conspirator, Bryony Dixon of The British Film Institute.

All reports are that it's a miraculous restoration, which hopefully will make it to Blu-ray, possibly on the BFI label?

I've been waiting over a decade for this to occur.

Robin Hood

Image – 4

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - n/a

Highly Recommended

The Black Pirate

Image – 2

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Fail

Plays nicely with projectors - No

Worth your attention - 0

Slipcover rating - n/a

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Cohen is issuing Douglas Fairbanks' 1922 Robin Hood along with Black Pirate, which has previously been released as single.

The good news is that Robin Hood is a very nice representation of the film, derived from a quality element. Timing seems to be spot on, with (hopefully) appropriate original tints. Grain structure appears proper.

I'm thrilled to have this film on Blu-ray.

Coming along for the ride - consider it a free extra - is the 1925 Technicolor Black Pirate, which unfortunately is based upon elements that are, in a word - meh.

Technicolor never looked like this. I presume it's derived from the old Rohauer Eastman dupe, and it's pretty awful. I suggest that anyone who purchases this disc bypasses it entirely.

The good news is that the film has recently been restored by MOMA's James Layton (co-author with David Pierce) of the absolute best tome on early Technicolor, and his co-conspirator, Bryony Dixon of The British Film Institute.

All reports are that it's a miraculous restoration, which hopefully will make it to Blu-ray, possibly on the BFI label?

I've been waiting over a decade for this to occur.

Robin Hood

Image – 4

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - n/a

Highly Recommended

The Black Pirate

Image – 2

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Fail

Plays nicely with projectors - No

Worth your attention - 0

Slipcover rating - n/a

RAH
Thanks RAH, you're not alone, wishing for a restored copy of the Fairbanks Robin Hood. I love the fact that Allan Hale Sr was able to play Little John not only in thisproduction but to be able to reprise that same roll under Errol Flynn's version is absolutely perfect!!

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm getting this just for Robin Hood, but it's not surprising Cohen didn't bother any further work on The Black Pirate with the BFI restoration about to make the rounds. It's amazing how even in 2023, we're getting cases of camera negatives turning up because of mislabeling.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Thank you so much for sharing that link. When I read this, I think there is still hope for some of those Holy Grail lost film or lost full versions of films to one day still be discovered.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
My question still is...if Coen Ent. just added the Black Pirate as an afterthought, I'm wondering why they didn't try to tackel The Mark of Zorro, and add that one to the double feature BD?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I’m working on a project right now dealing with Bessie Love and THE BROADWAY MELODY, and Douglas Fairbanks comes into play a bunch because he starred with Bessie many times. I’d love to see some of those VERY early films on Blu, the ones from the 10’s. I’d love to see ROBIN HOOD so I’ll get it, but I’d also love to see PIRATE in a better edition. researching Bessie Love has me intrigued about Fairbanks.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The disc co-bills the 2 movies, so they're not selling "Pirate" as a bonus feature.

It should be viewed as a main feature.
I hear you Colin, but what does that say, if no improvments were done by them (the Cohen Eter. Group), on the films behalf, to augment or somehow improve the film through restoration, in order to offer that improved feature and to seperate from all previous releases of that film?
If then, no disernable improvements were made, why re-release it...except to fill space? Or they got the rights to release it under thier banner, because it is a Douglas Fairbanks feature.

For collectors, we desire the best quality editions for our collections and most likely we have the Kino release. Now BFI is stepping up to take swing at it again, I'm very hopeful. Kino fell short, but perhaps it was from the lack of quality film elements or some other factors not knowto the general public?

I just don't undestand what sence is it to release another edition, from the same or similar elements doesn't add anythng to the phyical media collectors market?

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
I just wanted to write and say that I watched this last night. I bought it on the recommendation of Mr. Harris and had no idea it was a full length feature film. If memory serves, this is my first full feature silent film and I absolutely loved it. The sets, costumes, performances (including action choreography) were all very impressive and the story totally engaged me.

I have been collecting older movies at a furious pace and have at least a thousand classics to watch (which I'll never live to do) and it's just so wonderful to experience them in this quality on a large projected screen.

Thank you for this recommendation!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks