JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
While the Blu-ray is lovely, a 4k would have been a major step up. It's a pity that the extraordinary Victorian art direction can only be seen in 4k via streaming. Apparently, the digital code is also HD only.
This is a recent trend with some recent, more Art House releases that I find annoying. The 2020 version of Emma has never been released on 4K disc, though it is available on iTunes in 4K. I'd much rather have a 4k disc, and it absolutely should be available that way. Promising Young Woman wasn't released on 4K disc for about two years, though it was released on 2K disc right away.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
And I'd bet a 4K disc will soon follow (3 mos?) for a double dip just like Everything Everywhere All At Once, Phantom Thread , Parasite, etc...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Wait…

Students for Democratic Society?

Yeah. College demonstrations, classes abandoned. Moratoriums. Marches. End this f**kin' war! That sort of thing. The "leader" of the SDS in Rochester circa 1969 encouraged violence to make our voices heard. Loads of fun.

But, is this movie really good? Worth a purchase? Obviously, in the eye of the beholder.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yeah. College demonstrations, classes abandoned. Moratoriums. Marches. End this f**kin' war! That sort of thing. The "leader" of the SDS in Rochester circa 1969 encouraged violence to make our voices heard. Loads of fun.

But, is this movie really good? Worth a purchase? Obviously, in the eye of the beholder.
Very much eye of beholder.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And I'd bet a 4K disc will soon follow (3 mos?) for a double dip just like Everything Everywhere All At Once, Phantom Thread , Parasite, etc...
I agree, except I expect at least a year, maybe two. Hulu will help me bide my time.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Probably yes.

I can't understand the logic of this lack of an immediate 4K release. Some people will hold out and wait for a possible 4K = no sale in the short term. Others may just give in and buy the Blu and then not bother to upgrade to 4k if/when it becomes available = no sale for a 4k at that stage. A few may 'double-dip' - but will this number make up for earlier lost sales?

Just what is the sales strategy here?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Specifically with Poor Things, Disney has not been releasing 4K UHD discs for recent productions from their Searchlight imprint. They haven’t double dipped. They just don’t do 4K UHD discs for those titles.

Is it possible they’ll double dip down the line? Sure, anything’s possible. Is it likely? Probably not, there’s no precedence for them doing so with comparable titles.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Specifically with Poor Things, Disney has not been releasing 4K UHD discs for recent productions from their Searchlight imprint. They haven’t double dipped. They just don’t do 4K UHD discs for those titles.

Is it possible they’ll double dip down the line? Sure, anything’s possible. Is it likely? Probably not, there’s no precedence for them doing so with comparable titles.
And the result for me is Hulu will be fine until the price of the disc comes down.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
And the result for me is Hulu will be fine until the price of the disc comes down.
They also failed to release A Haunting in Venice for 4K while the previous films were released in 4K. I really can’t figure out Disney’s strategy sometimes as their Marvel TV shows are getting 4K releases.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For anyone interested, the 4K streaming version of Poor Things is now $12.99 on both iTunes and Amazon.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The animated bomb Wish is also out on 4K.

Disney's animated films have a strong track record for sales among parents and completist collectors, even for the ones that don't do well theatrically. The studio has a lot more incentive to release those on physical media than an art film like this, even if it did better at the box office and awards season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks