What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Chappaquiddick -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Having checked the spelling of the title three times, I believe I've gotten it correct.

John Curran's Chappaquiddick is one of those films, that while viewing it, I wondered why anyone bothered.

It's a retelling in feature form, of the horrific accident that occurred on the Cape, back in 1969, via which a bright young woman lost her life, and a man who would become one of our most heralded statesmen, destroyed his bid for the White House -- all by simple errors of intent, bad luck, poor decisions, and miscalculation.

Both Senator Ted Kennedy, played by Jason Clarke, and Mary Jo Kopechne (Kate Mara), do their best to make the ordeal interesting. Mara's character comes off as clean-cut, caring and concerned, while Clarke makes Kennedy appear to be a bit of a dolt at times - doing his best to balance his potential future, the family, and how to handle the event.

The film plays out like a TV docu-drama, never answering the questions that may never be answered about what actually might have occurred, but at this point, with those at the fore gone, it may be best to leave things as this film does.

Bruce Dern, almost unrecognizable, plays the elder Kennedy beautifully.

Shot with Alexas, with some 16mm footage, the new Blu-ray from Lionsgate, should look as designed. Finalized as a 2k DI.

Ultimately, I'm not certain what the film gives us, besides bringing up some unfortunate memories.

For those who know nothing about the event, its worth a rental.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
yeah, Bruce is awesome. it's fun to talk about him on the air on his birthday since he mostly plays crazy people. i watched Burbs a few weeks ago with his talking about old guys not leaving the house without their hair and getting Bro Theodore riled up! lol

VERY interested in this event but maybe this movie isn't the best one thing to use.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I remember the time well, but was only 12 y.o. at the time, I didn't fully appreciate the significance of the event, other than a young lady unfortunately lost her life.

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
I'm curious as to what continues to prohibit a simultaneous bluray and 4K release - surely it isn't Lionsgate?

They seem to be pulling all kinds of oddball titles out of their back catalog (Escape Plan?) - it's puzzling to me that they wouldn't issue a new title (like this one) under the format.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This is one that I really just don’t have any interest in seeing and none of the reviews I’ve read have done anything to change that. Thank you for the review, RAH.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks