What's new

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I invested in most of those Rhino releases, both store-bought and limited editions through their website, way back when. I’m so glad I did. Not only was it a revelation to hear the boost in audio quality from the original session masters, the behind the scenes information included in the inserts was extremely informative. The two That’s Entertaininment box sets were also amazing.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There currently is a used copy of the first from 1995, version of the "That's Entertainment" 6 CD set for under $30 used. Set was remastered with some changes to music in 2005, I think. The remastered set is currently hundreds of dollars used. In case anyone is interested.

Amazon product
Here is a good 2 disc 42 track overview of mostly MGM soundtracks from Turner/Rhino . A few Warner Bros and RKO tracks included.

Amazon product

Last edited:

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
There currently is a used copy of the first from 1995, version of the "That's Entertainment" 6 CD set for under $30 used. Set was remastered with some changes to music in 2005, I think. The remastered set is currently hundreds of dollars used. In case anyone is interested.

Amazon product
Here is a good 2 disc 42 track overview of mostly MGM soundtracks from Turner/Rhino . A few Warner Bros and RKO tracks included.

Amazon product
There’s not an incredible amount of difference between the first set from the ‘90s and the second one in 2005. Most of the tracks are the same, with some minor upgrades in sound quality of some. The major difference is that the latter addition has different supplemental material and the packaging is more nifty. If you can get the earlier set for much cheaper, I’d say grab it. The upgrade is not worth all that extra money imo.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just like buying and rebuying titles from VHS through laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray, and (sometimes) 4K, I did the same thing with MGM soundtracks through LP and CD issues through various labels. MGM recycled some of their soundtracks (though usually truncated) through several LP issues spaced some years apart. If you didn't get those gatefold combination soundtrack LPs in the 1950s, some of them turned up on the Metro label in the 1960s. And then in the 1970s, they recombined two or three musicals again in gatefold jacket releases. I can't tell you HOW many times I've bought and rebought those soundtrack albums. (Imported some from England, too, since their "Silver Screen" releases had different combinations of movies and some film soundtracks I'd end up buying half a dozen times).

JoelA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I invested in most of those Rhino releases, both store-bought and limited editions through their website, way back when. I’m so glad I did. Not only was it a revelation to hear the boost in audio quality from the original session masters, the behind the scenes information included in the inserts was extremely informative. The two That’s Entertaininment box sets were also amazing.
Same here and I'm glad I did as well. I still have both TE! box sets. The booklets that came with all the Rhino releases were extremely informative. I believe in many cases there was a track by track breakdown.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Just like buying and rebuying titles from VHS through laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray, and (sometimes) 4K, I did the same thing with MGM soundtracks through LP and CD issues through various labels. MGM recycled some of their soundtracks (though usually truncated) through several LP issues spaced some years apart. If you didn't get those gatefold combination soundtrack LPs in the 1950s, some of them turned up on the Metro label in the 1960s. And then in the 1970s, they recombined two or three musicals again in gatefold jacket releases. I can't tell you HOW many times I've bought and rebought those soundtrack albums. (Imported some from England, too, since their "Silver Screen" releases had different combinations of movies and some film soundtracks I'd end up buying half a dozen times).
Myself as well. After That’s Entertainment came out in 1974, there was a resurgence in interest of those soundtracks. I invested in those MGM Records gatefold releases. The sound left a lot to be desired. Those early CD releases of the same material were also subpar. The Rhino releases blew all of that previous material away.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They set a gold standard in that respect. It's sad that that slowed to a halt when AOL Time Warner basically took Rhino apart piece-by-piece and drove many of their key executives out to Shout! I think they were the ones behind pop/rock record remasters and not these soundtracks.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
They set a gold standard in that respect. It's sad that that slowed to a halt when AOL Time Warner basically took Rhino apart piece-by-piece and drove many of their key executives out to Shout! I think they were the ones behind pop/rock record remasters and not these soundtracks.
I’m certain that there is a wealth of unreleased material in the vaults. All of the session prerecordings, including underscoring, of High Society, The Opposite Sex, Meet Me in Las Vegas, Everything I Have is Yours, Give a Girl a Break, Merry Andrew and all of the Mario Lanza material, just to name a few. I’m sure there’s rights issues with some of these.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My big problem with the Rhino soundtracks was missing taps.
I know that technically the taps belonged to the foley dept, but realistically they were another percussion instrument.
An American In Paris ballet has stretches of essentially ‘dead air’ - horrible

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We were travelling through Chicago when I was a teenager and passed by Tower Records, which was having a big sale. I was able to get the entire series of MGM gatefolds for next to nothing. Each had a corner cut off so you couldn’t take them back for full price.

A few years later, I recorded them via computer and transferred the soundtracks I didn’t have CDs for to CD-Rs, inserting tracks from the “That’s Entertainment” CD sets and other boxed sets where appropriate.

John Skoda

Second Unit
Yes, the last two Rhino releases were downloads (DEEP IN MY HEART, BELLE OF NEW YORK). There was a download of THE BOY FRIEND, but I don't think Rhino had anything to do with it. All the stereo songs from HIGH SOCIETY can be assembled from various Rhino anthologies, but an official release with underscore would be nice. I'd really love a stereo CD release of the 1954 ROSE MARIE, which is one of those movies like KISMET, which maybe isn't so great a movie, but musically is great.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Isn't the soundtrack release rights to HIGH SOCIETY owned by Capitol Records, due to Sinatra's involvement? I don't think Rhino could ever have released that one.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I think it's a question of the money necessary to make that happen being more than they could ever expect to make back in profit.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Isn't the soundtrack release rights to HIGH SOCIETY owned by Capitol Records, due to Sinatra's involvement? I don't think Rhino could ever have released that one.
Yes. And the Capitol release was an abomination. Fake stereo with vocals in left and right channels only.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Yes, the last two Rhino releases were downloads (DEEP IN MY HEART, BELLE OF NEW YORK). There was a download of THE BOY FRIEND, but I don't think Rhino had anything to do with it. All the stereo songs from HIGH SOCIETY can be assembled from various Rhino anthologies, but an official release with underscore would be nice. I'd really love a stereo CD release of the 1954 ROSE MARIE, which is one of those movies like KISMET, which maybe isn't so great a movie, but musically is great.
I actually created my own album mix that way from various Rhino sources on my iTunes for High Society. Missing is the Overture and Main Title.

John Skoda

Second Unit
Yes. And the Capitol release was an abomination. Fake stereo with vocals in left and right channels only.
I think what Capitol had to work with was a mono orchestra track and separate vocal tracks, so they "fake stereo" spread out the orchestra and plopped in the vocals in whatever channel they wanted. Bizarre sounding! The true stereo tracks existed at MGM, but I'm guessing they didn't ask because they figured they'd have to pay more.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I think what Capitol had to work with was a mono orchestra track and separate vocal tracks, so they "fake stereo" spread out the orchestra and plopped in the vocals in whatever channel they wanted. Bizarre sounding! The true stereo tracks existed at MGM, but I'm guessing they didn't ask because they figured they'd have to pay more.
That’s precisely right. Duophonic orchestra with isolated left and right vocals. It was cool to isolate Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra and listen to them without the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artscience100