What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 1776 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
+1 A great read.

I still can't stand the music of Hamilton (I want to like it so badly!) but what a nice conversation between these two giants of the theater.

I gave it a listen the other day, after all of the praise I've heard. And my 13 year old daughter likes it from somewhere.

Anyway, my ears started bleeding. I had to fight the urge to smash a speaker with my shoe. Some things are hard to explain.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Those who are fans of "1776" must see this YouTube item that I never thought I'd see again. In the late 70s, Howard Da Silva played Franklin again for a 20 minute movie to be shown at the Franklin Court Museum in Philadelphia. The movie aired continuously there into the 1990s I think and was then retired for a new movie, but someone got hold of a copy from the Parks Service and has put it up on YT. It's like watching a post-script to "1776" itself.

Remember this well. Now, if someone would find the IMAX film, AMERICAN YEARS, which also played in Philadelphia, I can die a happy man

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Watching 1776 for the first time.

Why have I never seen this before? As someone who loves a good musical, this is a treat. FWIW, I also enjoy Hamilton for what it is.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Those who are fans of "1776" must see this YouTube item that I never thought I'd see again. In the late 70s, Howard Da Silva played Franklin again for a 20 minute movie to be shown at the Franklin Court Museum in Philadelphia. The movie aired continuously there into the 1990s I think and was then retired for a new movie, but someone got hold of a copy from the Parks Service and has put it up on YT. It's like watching a post-script to "1776" itself.

My goodness! What a treat to discover this. Thank You.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I gave it a listen the other day, after all of the praise I've heard. And my 13 year old daughter likes it from somewhere.

Anyway, my ears started bleeding. I had to fight the urge to smash a speaker with my shoe. Some things are hard to explain.
It's a tricky thing, because Act I, centered around the American Revolution and Hamilton's rise, is definitely more heavy on the hip hop -- though "Dear Theodosia", which ties Burr and Hamilton's hopes as fathers to their hopes as Founding Fathers, is a beautiful ballad. Act II, which charts Hamilton's downfall, leans a lot more toward traditional showtunes. "It's Quiet Uptown" is one of the most beautiful and most heartbreaking songs I've encountered in quite sometime. And King George III's bitter Brit-pop numbers are just hilarious.

That being said, I loved it all.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Thank goodness for YouTube locating stuff like this. I had hoped this would be included on the Blu-ray. I wish someone could track down the brief American Revolution themed public service commercials Howard Da Silva did in 1976 that were shown on TV.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My BD To-Do List:

July 3, 2019 - Watch "1776" (7:30 P.M.)
July 3, 2019 - Have 2 Pizzas delivered by 10:20 P.M.
July 3, 2019 - Watch "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (10:30 P.M.)

July 4, 2019 - Watch "Born on the Fourth of July" (7:30 P.M.)
July 4, 2019 - Have 2 Pizzas delivered by 10:20 P.M.
July 4, 2019 - Watch "The Music Man" (10:30 P.M.)

Happy Independence Day to all at HTF.:drum:

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My BD To-Do List:

July 3, 2019 - Watch "1776" (7:30 P.M.)
July 3, 2019 - Have 2 Pizzas delivered by 10:20 P.M.
July 3, 2019 - Watch "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (10:30 P.M.)

July 4, 2019 - Watch "Born on the Fourth of July" (7:30 P.M.)
July 4, 2019 - Have 2 Pizzas delivered by 10:20 P.M.
July 4, 2019 - Watch "The Music Man" (10:30 P.M.)

Happy Independence Day to all at HTF.:drum:

Wait! You forgot “Jaws” !!! :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Wait! You forgot “Jaws” !!! :)
58467485.jpg
;)

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched mine today and was pleased as ever. My only minor nitpick is that it doesn’t include the 1972 theatrical version and that that original release isn’t on any disc or digital format... but the Extended Cut has pretty much won me over anyway.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I watched mine today and was pleased as ever. My only minor nitpick is that it doesn’t include the 1972 theatrical version and that that original release isn’t on any disc or digital format... but the Extended Cut has pretty much won me over anyway.

Josh, I didn't even know that they didn't include the original theatrical version.

You are right -- the extended is really the only way to see it, though.

Still some things missing from the laserdisc release, but that's an argument for another time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks