What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 1776 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
“Molasses To Rum” takes my breath away every time I see it...just an amazing song and scene
The first time I saw it on stage and the first time I saw the film version, it raised the hairs on the back of my neck. I'm not exaggerating. I found it absolutely electrifying.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Finally got around to picking up the Blu-ray and watched it for the very first time a few nights ago. Wonderful, fun movie! Been humming Piddle, Twiddle, and Resolve intermittently for the last 48 hours.

What's impressive about the Blu-ray (and the 4k restoration it was sourced from) is that if I hadn't known it was a director's cut, I would have assumed this is how the film has always been. I honestly couldn't tell where footage was added.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Exceptional film! It's available on 4k digital but it's the shorter version. Have no interest in owning it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Exceptional film! It's available on 4k digital but it's the shorter version. Have no interest in owning it.
The 165 minute version in 4K is the director’s cut. The extended version, which is an extra on the Blu-ray is less than 3 minutes longer. I’m perfectly content with the director’s cut in 4K.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Finally got around to picking up the Blu-ray and watched it for the very first time a few nights ago. Wonderful, fun movie! Been humming Piddle, Twiddle, and Resolve intermittently for the last 48 hours.

What's impressive about the Blu-ray (and the 4k restoration it was sourced from) is that if I hadn't known it was a director's cut, I would have assumed this is how the film has always been. I honestly couldn't tell where footage was added.

Agree. I think the reason that it flows so well is that the complete version is essentially identical to the stage version in terms of dialogue and music. Actually, after having worked on the stage show a few times, the shortened original release version seems choppy and poorly edited to me, whereas the blu-ray version feels correct. From a technical point of view, I am amazed and delighted they were able to make all the footage match and look seamless.

waltodonnell

Agent
Real Name
Conor
A little something you'll probably all enjoy. The complete shooting schedule taken from Rex Robbin's shooting script. He played Roger Sherman of Connecticut. You'll see his notations throughout. Part one.

BookScanCenter_1.jpg
BookScanCenter_2.jpg
BookScanCenter_3.jpg
BookScanCenter_4.jpg
BookScanCenter_5.jpg
BookScanCenter_6.jpg

BookScanCenter_7.jpg

BookScanCenter_8.jpg
BookScanCenter_9.jpg

BookScanCenter_10.jpg

Attachments

• BookScanCenter_7.jpg
    BookScanCenter_7.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil

1776 is a favorite of mine. I bought the laserdisc many moons ago and loved the extended version with scenes and songs (Cool, Cool Considerate Men) restored. We had to wait years for the blu-ray, but the DVD sufficed for a long time. This was the first year I didn’t watch it on
July 4, being quarantined in a hotel in Florida away from collection at home in NY. Our founding fathers were amazing men. The musical views of them in 1776 and Hamilton are are a fine introduction to the birth of our nation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks