What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - 1776 -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Peter Hunt's 1972 musical film is based upon the 1969 Broadway production also directed by Mr. Hunt (he won the Tony). Several original cast members also made it through from stage to screen.

While not historically accurate, it tells a wonderful tale about representatives of the the 13 Colonies making the decision to move for independence.

It was a quality legit show, and remains a quality motion picture - and the final work of Jack Warner in the capacity of producer.

At the time of it's release, there were political undercurrents that led to cuts, trims, etc. Some came from President Richard Nixon, who reportedly was concerned that certain attributes might allow people to get the "wrong idea about the Republican Party." The song Cool, Considerate Men was removed.

To the best of my understanding, there were three cuts of the film - the original 141 minute release version, the Director's Cut at 165, and the Extended at 168.

All three versions are finally released in a single package, with the 1972 cut found on the Blu-ray disc, along with extras, and the Director's and Extended in 4k.

A third disc contains all the other requisite extras.

Sony has done right by this Columbia presentation, and the work performed several years ago, by Mr. Crisp and his team, shine through.

Color is perfect. The image is stable, with accurate grain, wonderful shadow detail and beautifully reproduced blacks.

A terrific entertainment, with quality all the way.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Beautifully

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Keeping with the word's of wisdom attributed to Howard DaSilva's character in 1776, I ordered this as part part of Target's B2G1 sale.

Koro

Auditioning
Real Name
Iain
Not sure if this is allowed, but if anyone want my digital code (U.S. residents only), here it is:

Go to sonypictures.com/maredeem and use code '3F61 4FA7 KYFM VPM5'.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Currently $15.50 at Amazon. Sold out, but you can order it. Cheapest it's been to date.
Update : Currently no longer available from Amazon. Only 3rd parties.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Apparently Amazon is price matching Walmart which does have 1776 in stock for $15.50 so you can get it in time for the 4th of July.

Walmart price is actually from a 3rd party "Please Rewind" which appears to be owned or related to SONY as it is described as "SPHE Scan Based Trading Corporation" and their address is the Sony lot in Culver City
10202 West Washington Blvd
Culver City, California 90232, United States

Last edited:

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Peter Hunt's 1972 musical film is based upon the 1969 Broadway production also directed by Mr. Hunt (he won the Tony). Several original cast members also made it through from stage to screen.

While not historically accurate, it tells a wonderful tale about representatives of the the 13 Colonies making the decision to move for independence.

It was a quality legit show, and remains a quality motion picture - and the final work of Jack Warner in the capacity of producer.

At the time of it's release, there were political undercurrents that led to cuts, trims, etc. Some came from President Richard Nixon, who reportedly was concerned that certain attributes might allow people to get the "wrong idea about the Republican Party." The song Cool, Considerate Men was removed.

To the best of my understanding, there were three cuts of the film - the original 141 minute release version, the Director's Cut at 165, and the Extended at 168.

All three versions are finally released in a single package, with the 1972 cut found on the Blu-ray disc, along with extras, and the Director's and Extended in 4k.

A third disc contains all the other requisite extras.

Sony has done right by this Columbia presentation, and the work performed several years ago, by Mr. Crisp and his team, shine through.

Color is perfect. The image is stable, with accurate grain, wonderful shadow detail and beautifully reproduced blacks.

A terrific entertainment, with quality all the way.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Beautifully

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH
This is a brilliant flick, but I had no idea there were so many cuts/different versions.

Is CCM on the BR, or did you mean cut as in never in the movie script/never shot?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There are four versions of the film in the UHD combo pack - every version except for the 1972 theatrical cut features Cool Considerate Men.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Great price, and as much as I’d enjoy viewing the PSE version of the film again, I’m happy with my BD from a few years back. Basically everything was reinserted back into the release, with the minor exceptions of Jefferson looking out the window as the kids are playing, and the lamplighter extinguishing the candles as Adams wakes up at the foot of the stairs. Perhaps a total of 10-15 seconds worth of footage.

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Great price, and as much as I’d enjoy viewing the PSE version of the film again, I’m happy with my BD from a few years back. Basically everything was reinserted back into the release, with the minor exceptions of Jefferson looking out the window as the kids are playing, and the lamplighter extinguishing the candles as Adams wakes up at the foot of the stairs. Perhaps a total of 10-15 seconds worth of footage.
I had the BD from a few years back, but this new 4K also includes the LaserDisc version (on one of the Blu-rays in SD) with the original commentary that's not been heard since that LaserDisc, so well worth it for me to have every version in one package.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There is now a $2.20 coupon for 1776 4K on Amazon. The price is still $15.50 so with the coupon it comes to $13.30 before tax.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've never been a fan of this cover art, but I was delighted with the slipcover mine came with featuring artwork closer to the film's poster art.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
There is now a $2.20 coupon for 1776 4K on Amazon. The price is still $15.50 so with the coupon it comes to $13.30 before tax.

They're probably essentially PM-ing Target's current B2G1 sale (for certain specific titles) w/out actually doing B2G1 -- that's been part of their MO for at least the last couple years or so now.

Target has it for $19.95, and B2G1 could essentially knock that down to ~$13.30 (although B2G1 is of course much more cumbersome for the consumer than a straight discount).

_Man_

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had tickets for that production, and it closed two weeks before we arrived. I was bitterly disappointed. I had seen the original production and was eager to compare. I think we substituted High Society, and boy, was that a big letdown!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I saw it, and being the first stage production of '1776' I'd ever seen, I liked it fine. I've since seen others that I found much more endearing. And for these ears, this severe reduction in the orchestration really leaves it wanting.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I saw it in 97. Wasn't the best production I'd seen. I've seen two productions at Paper Mill Playhouse (88 and 09) and even an outstanding one in Morristown, NJ at a little place called the Bickford Theater the year before the Broadway revival which won some major honors from NJ theater critics. That's available on YT for viewing.

I wish I could find a full recording of when the 97 revival transferred to the Gershwin Theater because when they did the original orchestrations were restored.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I had tickets for that production, and it closed two weeks before we arrived. I was bitterly disappointed. I had seen the original production and was eager to compare. I think we substituted High Society, and boy, was that a big letdown!

Oh, that's a shame on both counts. And I am sorry to hear about High Society because, while I did not have the opportunity to see the play, I love the cast album.

I wish I could have seen Brent in 1776, also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks