1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ The Doors -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Maybe! :D

Glad you posted to remind me to check. I went out of town for the Stones last night and I'm running on like 3 hours sleep - I forgot I said I'd look!

2. mike skillsky

mike skillsky Auditioning

mike
    Best I can see is that the new version cuts the entire scene right after Ray's son's birthday party where Jim is smashed drunk (surprise) and walking on the ledge of the Chateau Marmont bottle of Jack in hand, while Pam and the others try to talk him back in. Everything else looks to be the same. I saw nothing new added.

3. Message #23 of 34 Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Dave H

Dave H Producer

It gets even naughtier if you prefer BD as a very reputable UK poster at another site said it's an outstanding BD (of course, going with a region-free player helps with these kind of things).

4. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Cinematographer

That scene actually happens before the birthday party.

Vincent

5. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I thought that was Last House on the Left. d'oh!

carry on

6. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman
    Supporter

Brian
    Oh man I watched this for the third time today, since receiving it Monday. I saw this on release, several times, as I was actually in the midst of a teenage Doors phase at the time the movie released. In all the years since, I've owned this on vhs, DVD, and the sole Blu-ray release from 08. This was a favorite of mine over the years, usually enjoyed with my friends over various "stimulates". Well, as I started watching the the new uhd I felt my jaw slowly drop. Absolutely stunning! I had no idea this film had so much potential to actually resemble film. It's gorgeous! I can only experience hdr10 on my projector, and that was more than sufficient to blow my mind with the seemingly endless assault of bright, deep, colors, and real black. I can't help remember the awful, over-processed, pasty look of the Blu-ray, in contrast to this beauty. I dare say, this may the definitive version of The Doors for many years to come.

Brian Husar likes this.
  7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I didn't realize that both film versions are in 4K/Dolby Version on the 4K disc.

8. OliverK

OliverK Producer

That is indeed a really good decision as people may not buy if their favorite version is not included on a UHD disc.

I surely do not want to watch Waterworld in a short version so I will not buy that release as only the shorter version is available in UHD.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  9. Message #29 of 34 Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Brian Husar

Brian Husar Second Unit

Oliver cut the scene right before the birthday party at Ray’s house at the end, that shows Jim on the ledge of the Chateau Marmot and Pam trying to bring him in while Ray and the others are filming. I noticed that I didn’t miss that scene when I watched it.

Grady Reid likes this.
  10. Brian Husar

Brian Husar Second Unit

I would love for Born On The Fourth Of July to be next on 4K UHD Blu Ray. That film and The Doors were his first 2 anamorphic films and the only 2 that had 70mm blow ups. I would love an Atmos or DTSX track for Born as well.

11. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I have the 4K Waterworld Steelbook from Best Buy and I was surprised to see a menu option to play the director’s cut.

12. OliverK

OliverK Producer

According to a review on another site that is the standard 1080p version but at least it is from a newer master so if before you only had the old Universal disc it will be a nice improvement.

13. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Screenwriter

Joel Fontenot
    I did see this in the theater, and I have the original laserdisc release. But that's it. For a while, I did blast all the concert scenes when I could in my apartment.

But, while I certainly appreciate much of their music, I was never a big Doors fan or follower. In fact, I never bought an album of theirs. Just one of those groups that passed me by and only hearing them from radio or other media. The movie impressed me more for the visuals and the aforementioned concert scenes. But, I agree about the story and how the man was portrayed. He seemed a brat who was just too self-absorbed to care about what he wrote about. I mean, I know the idea was the loss of potential from self-absorption, but it felt more like, well, maybe that was all there was to get anyway. At least, that's how I saw it.

14. Message #34 of 34 Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Hearing that such a fabulous effort and result were obtained is reason for great joy. But...I can't help the gnawing feeling I get when reading about such efforts, in terms of catalogue title selection. It's hard to imagine that this UHD will fly off the shelves faster than any of a vast number of more worthy films. It's the age old question of home media: who makes these decisions and why? Are darts thrown at a board? Does this title have a fabulous record of home media sales that I'm unaware of, and does this have any relevance to the CURRENT state of media sales? Hell, it won't even have institutional sales such as for public libraries. I would dearly love to be in a position to know about matters of contract and rights issues, all up and down the lines of a production. Perhaps this is where the answer lies with this and other catalogue selections.