What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just a hunch, but I suspect that the first ending shows how one door closes;
while in the second, another one opens.:D

Maybe! :D

Glad you posted to remind me to check. I went out of town for the Stones last night and I'm running on like 3 hours sleep - I forgot I said I'd look!

Stratguy

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I know this cut is two minutes shorter than previous versions- according to Stone it’s changes to the ending. Has anyone detailed the actual changes?

Best I can see is that the new version cuts the entire scene right after Ray's son's birthday party where Jim is smashed drunk (surprise) and walking on the ledge of the Chateau Marmont bottle of Jack in hand, while Pam and the others try to talk him back in. Everything else looks to be the same. I saw nothing new added.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
That's a bit naughty. And in Europe there's a stand alone Blu-ray of the new transfer, which I'll probably buy as I'm not 4K yet, & I don't know when I will be.

It gets even naughtier if you prefer BD as a very reputable UK poster at another site said it's an outstanding BD (of course, going with a region-free player helps with these kind of things).

Last edited:

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Best I can see is that the new version cuts the entire scene right after Ray's son's birthday party where Jim is smashed drunk (surprise) and walking on the ledge of the Chateau Marmont bottle of Jack in hand, while Pam and the others try to talk him back in. Everything else looks to be the same. I saw nothing new added.

That scene actually happens before the birthday party.

Vincent

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
Oh man I watched this for the third time today, since receiving it Monday. I saw this on release, several times, as I was actually in the midst of a teenage Doors phase at the time the movie released. In all the years since, I've owned this on vhs, DVD, and the sole Blu-ray release from 08. This was a favorite of mine over the years, usually enjoyed with my friends over various "stimulates". Well, as I started watching the the new uhd I felt my jaw slowly drop. Absolutely stunning! I had no idea this film had so much potential to actually resemble film. It's gorgeous! I can only experience hdr10 on my projector, and that was more than sufficient to blow my mind with the seemingly endless assault of bright, deep, colors, and real black. I can't help remember the awful, over-processed, pasty look of the Blu-ray, in contrast to this beauty. I dare say, this may the definitive version of The Doors for many years to come.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I didn't realize that both film versions are in 4K/Dolby Version on the 4K disc.
That is indeed a really good decision as people may not buy if their favorite version is not included on a UHD disc.

I surely do not want to watch Waterworld in a short version so I will not buy that release as only the shorter version is available in UHD.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I know this cut is two minutes shorter than previous versions- according to Stone it’s changes to the ending. Has anyone detailed the actual changes?
Oliver cut the scene right before the birthday party at Ray’s house at the end, that shows Jim on the ledge of the Chateau Marmot and Pam trying to bring him in while Ray and the others are filming. I noticed that I didn’t miss that scene when I watched it.

Last edited:

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Oh man I watched this for the third time today, since receiving it Monday. I saw this on release, several times, as I was actually in the midst of a teenage Doors phase at the time the movie released. In all the years since, I've owned this on vhs, DVD, and the sole Blu-ray release from 08. This was a favorite of mine over the years, usually enjoyed with my friends over various "stimulates". Well, as I started watching the the new uhd I felt my jaw slowly drop. Absolutely stunning! I had no idea this film had so much potential to actually resemble film. It's gorgeous! I can only experience hdr10 on my projector, and that was more than sufficient to blow my mind with the seemingly endless assault of bright, deep, colors, and real black. I can't help remember the awful, over-processed, pasty look of the Blu-ray, in contrast to this beauty. I dare say, this may the definitive version of The Doors for many years to come.
I would love for Born On The Fourth Of July to be next on 4K UHD Blu Ray. That film and The Doors were his first 2 anamorphic films and the only 2 that had 70mm blow ups. I would love an Atmos or DTSX track for Born as well.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I have the 4K Waterworld Steelbook from Best Buy and I was surprised to see a menu option to play the director’s cut.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I have the 4K Waterworld Steelbook from Best Buy and I was surprised to see a menu option to play the director’s cut.

According to a review on another site that is the standard 1080p version but at least it is from a newer master so if before you only had the old Universal disc it will be a nice improvement.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I did see this in the theater, and I have the original laserdisc release. But that's it. For a while, I did blast all the concert scenes when I could in my apartment.

But, while I certainly appreciate much of their music, I was never a big Doors fan or follower. In fact, I never bought an album of theirs. Just one of those groups that passed me by and only hearing them from radio or other media. The movie impressed me more for the visuals and the aforementioned concert scenes. But, I agree about the story and how the man was portrayed. He seemed a brat who was just too self-absorbed to care about what he wrote about. I mean, I know the idea was the loss of potential from self-absorption, but it felt more like, well, maybe that was all there was to get anyway. At least, that's how I saw it.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Hearing that such a fabulous effort and result were obtained is reason for great joy. But...I can't help the gnawing feeling I get when reading about such efforts, in terms of catalogue title selection. It's hard to imagine that this UHD will fly off the shelves faster than any of a vast number of more worthy films. It's the age old question of home media: who makes these decisions and why? Are darts thrown at a board? Does this title have a fabulous record of home media sales that I'm unaware of, and does this have any relevance to the CURRENT state of media sales? Hell, it won't even have institutional sales such as for public libraries. I would dearly love to be in a position to know about matters of contract and rights issues, all up and down the lines of a production. Perhaps this is where the answer lies with this and other catalogue selections.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Hearing that such a fabulous effort and result were obtained is reason for great joy. But...I can't help the gnawing feeling I get when reading about such efforts, in terms of catalogue title selection. It's hard to imagine that this UHD will fly off the shelves faster than any of a vast number of more worthy films. It's the age old question of home media: who makes these decisions and why? Are darts thrown at a board? Does this title have a fabulous record of home media sales that I'm unaware of, and does this have any relevance to the CURRENT state of media sales? Hell, it won't even have institutional sales such as for public libraries. I would dearly love to be in a position to know about matters of contract and rights issues, all up and down the lines of a production. Perhaps this is where the answer lies with this and other catalogue selections.
I have to second that. Just had an Oliver Stone 4K double bill with Scarface and The Doors and I have to say that The Doors is an amazingly bad film. It's very entertaining though, if you are in the mood for atrocious dialogue and story-telling. Just take the Venice Beach scene verbatim. Unbelievable.

Jim and Ray are sitting on Venice Beach:

“So, what else are you doin’?”, says Ray to Jim.

Jim says, “uh, writin’… songs, poems, stuff like that”.

And then Ray says, “You’re writing songs? So let me hear one”.

And Jim says, “I’m shy, I can’t sing”.

And then Ray says, “you gotta sing better than Dylan, man” (sings a few snatches of Subterranean Homesick Blues). “Let me hear your words”.

Jim gets his notebook out, on the beach, fumbles with it a bit, sighs, “Gahd” then sings, “Let’s swim to the moon. Aha. Let’s climb through the tide, penetrate the evenin’ that the city sleeps to hide….”. And the he really gets into it, “…. parked beside the ocean on our moonlight drive”. He’s just written the lyrics to Moonlight Drive, the future Doors song.

Ray looks serious. He’s impressed though and there’s a massive pause. “Some great f…king lyrics, man”, he says, “You write this? You got others in there”. Jim says, “Bunch, man. I got a whole concert in my head, you know”.

“What the hell happened to you in the desert, man?”, asks Ray. “Ecstasy, man”, says Jim. “Let’s get a rock ‘n roll band together and make a million bucks”. “Got tons of stuff, Ray”, Jim says. Ray gets worked up, “Things are about to explode, Jim. You can feel it in the air. People want to fight or f…k, love or kill Vietnam is right out there”, says Ray. “Sides are being chosen. Everything’s gonna flame, man. The planet’s screaming for change, Morrison. We gotta make the myths”.

Jim says “There are gonna be great orgies, man. Like when Dionysis arrived in Greece. Made all the women mad, leaving all their homes and dancin’ off into the mountains. Should be great golden copulations in the streets of LA, man”.

Ray says, “ We should call ourselves Dionysis, man.” Jim says: “I gotta name: The Doors”. “The Doors of your mind?”. “The Huxley book”. “The Doors of perception. Acid”. The quote’s from William Blake, actually”.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks