What's new

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Yes, I think that the techniques of obtaining reduced registration errors have improved in the interim.
There were zero registration issues on the Blu-ray.

I just want to be sure to make it clear that I did not say that Black Narcissus had registration issues which, of course, is subjective. I said registration errors which are in fact apparent throughout the film. Whether these are an issue for you or me is not worth arguing about since that is personal.

I did not find the errors to be significantly distracting ; it is a gorgeous film, stunningly so in many places.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Excuse me, there is nothing subjective if a transfer has registration issues, which is, in fact what you said - what is the difference between saying issues and errors? A transfer either has them or it doesn't - nothing subjective about it. Why don't you just tell us what those "errors" are so we can all go look for them because I'm not the only one telling you there are no registration issues or errors on the Black Narcissus Blu-ray.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Excuse me, there is nothing subjective if a transfer has registration issues, which is, in fact what you said - what is the difference between saying issues and errors? A transfer either has them or it doesn't - nothing subjective about it. Why don't you just tell us what those "errors" are so we can all go look for them because I'm not the only one telling you there are no registration issues or errors on the Black Narcissus Blu-ray.

If I say I have an issue with something this means at least as I'd define it "it bothers me" it may be something that exists but it doesn't mean it is a problem for all. An example might be single chip DLP rainbows or another might be low contrast produced by most commercial digital cinema projectors. I personally find these objectionable and have an issue with them.

As my quote shows I did in fact say "errors". An error in this case would be defined as a mathematical term and has no subjective component..

Unfortunately, you are in error regarding this title. I wish you had taken a more tactful approach and say they are minor, or don't really bother you etc but instead decided to say zero.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos

Note the boys head his face and wall shadow

Note boys left shoulder and sleeve near his hand

Note bottles on shelf to left of image and shelf supports

Note umbrella ,suitcase and chickens

Last edited:

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
These look like electronic fringing, not 3 strip misalignment. The issue is similar to EE or high frequency edging (from HF boosting.) I'll get it out and look at it again later on the Pj when I can zoom. Would be interesting to compare the BD with the DVD from the same edition.

Here are two random screens from the Criterion Blu Ray without zooming.

narcissus1.jpeg
narcissus2.jpeg

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I just checked my copy.

Those (Carlos's) aren't full-frame grabs, but sections cropped from frames and enlarged. In the final example, the mis-registration is transitory; in real time it flickers for less than a second.

But yes, you can see mis-registration in the transfer on the Criterion Blu-Ray, but in most instances you'd have to be looking for it.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Not wanting to prolong the agony of this sidebar but these could as easily be encoding issues as anything else.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Goodness gracious. I don't recall my copy of Black Narcissus looking anything like those screen grabs. Those look like they are from a VHS copy.

What is their source?

I'm using a Panasonic DMP UB 900 player ,a Sony 5000es 4K projector on a 16' wide Stewart Vistascope screen with the Studiotech 130 surface ,set up and calibrated by Ken Whitcomb.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Is your Panny UB900 set to HDR for uprez or are you playing BDs as is with SDR? AS you know sometimes SDR to HDR upconversions can get messy and need to be restarted.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
You guys are right this is a gorgeous film . I watched it half a dozen times so much is aligned so tight I just sit there with my mouth hanging open. It ,however ,does not have "zero" registration errors. My original post was neutral and innocuous just stating that I thought the technology probably improved from the release of this title to the release of A Matter of Life and Death. I received a quick response about what I was seeing and that it was completely wrong. Of course, it either has zero errors or it doesn't. I cropped the areas of the scene for clarity but they are accurate.

I doubt that it is encoding since it only occurs in certain areas of each frame and not the same places from scene to scene.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Any HDR SDR conversion when applicable occurs through the Lumagen pro processor. I have looked at this through the Panasonic but also though my old and new Oppo players since I've watched it so many times. Remember the fringing isn't throughout all scenes but perhaps a third of them and does not occur throughout any given frame but instead in specific areas at times at edges at times in the middle of the frame.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I can't even, seriously, I can't even. Who watches movies like this? And I still say there are zero registration errors in terms of alignment. I don't need to blow up frames to absurdity to say that.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can't even, seriously, I can't even. Who watches movies like this? And I still say there are zero registration errors in terms of alignment. I don't need to blow up frames to absurdity to say that.

Every three-strip film has alignment errors, especially at cut, where all three records go their separate ways.

And then there’s the bi-pack record.

But this disappeared in original prints.

When scanned it 4k, they must be massaged, and with enough funding can generally be eradicated.

Is it a viable financial position.

No.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Every three-strip film has alignment errors, especially at cut, where all three records go their separate ways.

And then there’s the bi-pack record.

But this disappeared in original prints.

When scanned it 4k, they must be massaged, and with enough funding can generally be eradicated.

Is it a viable financial position.

No.
End of story, can we move on.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My copy arrived from across The Pond. When I saw the restoration on the big screen I'm not in the slightest bit embarrassed to admit to having shed a tear at the sheer joy.

Viewing at home can never be quite the same, but watching the Criterion gave me the most pleasure I've had from a disc this year. At least.

The film is sheer poetry, the presentation is sumptuous. Absolutely sumptuous.

What more does anyone want?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Watched this film for the first time ever last night and loved it. Very engaging and visually stunning with the use of color, effects, and production design. I was a little skeptical at the initial rapid-fire dialogue scene that opens the film between Peter and June, but once we got past that and the film settled a bit, it was excellent.

I watched on my smaller HDTV. Looking forward to watching it again projected on my bigger screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks