What's new

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
As I was watching I had a kind of Deja Vu (all over again) ... one of the local stations aired a very chopped up version of this as "Stairway to Heaven" in the 70s ... I definitely want to listen to the commentary ... What a great film (especially in it's complete form)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I will be picking up my copy from my postal box in 2 weeks. This has always been a favorite of mine. I was disappointed when I watched the DVD version with my wife — she thought it was rubbish! She finds fantasy in her words “really stupid!” Thank goodness she likes Science Fiction.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My wife hates both fantasy and science fiction ... the only exceptions being The Ghost and Mrs Muir and Galaxy Quest. I love both so we do have some viewing issues .... compounded by the fact that I love musicals and she hates them ... or most of them, unless they star Gordon MacRae of Howard Keel! But there's enough we both like to last our lifetimes.....

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My wife hates both fantasy and science fiction ... the only exceptions being The Ghost and Mrs Muir and Galaxy Quest. I love both so we do have some viewing issues .... compounded by the fact that I love musicals and she hates them ... or most of them, unless they star Gordon MacRae of Howard Keel! But there's enough we both like to last our lifetimes.....
We sometimes have an informal relaxing hour or two around 4:00,(we are both retired), in our main floor living room which has a smaller (45”) TV we use for casual viewing. She plays games on her iPad off to the side and I watch things that generally are just for me with her glancing up if something catches her eye. I decided to slip in the new Blu of “A Matter of Life or Death” I don’t know why but this time she absolutely loved the movie! She actually would like to see other Powell and Presburger films.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd call this fantasy or sci-fi. It's more like a drama with some fantasy elements.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
One of the things I loved about the movie is how it leaves it in the air as to whether it’s a fantasy about a man arguing in the afterlife for a second chance, or if it’s a drama about a man suffering from a brain injury fighting for survival and suffering from hallucinations as a result of that injury. The film supports either interpretation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of the things I loved about the movie is how it leaves it in the air as to whether it’s a fantasy about a man arguing in the afterlife for a second chance, or if it’s a drama about a man suffering from a brain injury fighting for survival and suffering from hallucinations as a result of that injury. The film supports either interpretation.
Yup! I like ambiguous story lines.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
In fantasy, I always go for the unambiguous as it's usually the intended line to take. although I love 'the Wizard of Oz, I've always been a bit annoyed that at the end the fantasy is removed .. unlike in the books!
But in contrast to everything I've said, Pan's Labyrinth, a brilliant movie, removes the ambiguity in a truly shocking way. Totally brilliant and so sad.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
An informative and thoughtful BBC article about this, on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of this wonderful film:

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
An informative and thoughtful BBC article about this, on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of this wonderful film:

What a wonderful film. I stumbled on it maybe 10 years ago, and was immediately captivated by its beauty and story telling. I own the criterion BD, and absolutely love revisiting it yearly

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks