What's new

A few questions on new home theater hookup (1 Viewer)

Matt300ZXT

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
My dad purchased a Denon home theater in a box from Best Buy with the Boston Acoustics speakers. It's the DHT590BA system. It has HDMI ins, component, composite, Svideo, all sorts of stuff. Here's what I need help with, I need to know the optimal way to run this system with the various items that make up the home theater, so this will work as best as it can.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5021.asp?ProductName=DHT%2D590BA%3A+A%2FV+Receiver+%26amp%3B+5%2E1+Speaker+Package#

That will take you to pictures of the receiver to see how the unit it setup.

Anyways, here's what we've got.

JVC 57" rear projection HDTV
LG upscaling DVD player with HDMI out and Optical out
Motorola Comcast cable receiver with HDMI out
old record player (that one's easy to figure out, red and white cable plugged into the receiver)

What we did was run an HDMI cable from the DVD player into the tv for video and sound through tv speakers, then ran an optical cable from the DVD player to the receiver for audio only. Unfortunately, the DVD source on the receiver will not let you assign Optical as a source of sound, only HDMI. So since it's not hooked in to DVD, we don't have access to all the built in DSP settings for different types of movies. I had to use the DVR source as it allows you to use Optical as an audio source.

Next we hooked the Comcast receiver straight to the tv with an HDMI cable, and tried hooking an optical wire from the tv to the back of the receiver so we could watch tv movies through the surround sound, however it is not working at all through the receiver. This receiver isn't as easily programmable and assignable as mine is.

I guess my question is, what is the optimal way to set this system up? I've never sent video signals through my receiver, then on to the tv like can be done, so I don't know the benefits of doing it that way. If you guys can suggest some setups for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Run HDMI from LG dvd player to the HDMI 1 (DVD) input on back of receiver. Then run HDMI from Comcast cable box to HDMI 3 (SAT/CBL) input on back of receiver. Then run HDMI from HDMI Out (Monitor) on back of receiver, to HDMI input on tv.

You may need to go into the setup menus of the dvd player and cable box, and let them know to send video and audio by HDMI. You may need to set audio output of dvd player to "Bitstream" also. You may also need to let the receiver know to use HDMI, in it's setup menus. Then make sure the input of tv is set for the input you used. That should be all you need to do.

For the turntable, since the receiver doesn't have a Phono input, you'll need a Phono Pre-Amp, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PP-999-Phono-Turntable-Pre-Amp/dp/B00025742A/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1259365442&sr=1-11

The benefits of going through the receiver with everything, is easy switching of sources. To change from TV to DVD, just press the DVD button on the receiver's remote. Then when you want to go back to TV, just press the TV button. Turn off the tv's speakers, or turn the tv's volume all the way down. Just use the receiver's remote for volume control. Of course, you'll still need to use the cable remote to change channels on tv. You could get a Harmony remote, and do everything from that one remote.
Good luck!

Matt300ZXT

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Ok, figured I'd have to use the receiver as the switching source, just didn't know that's what the video inputs were for. I'll let my dad know about that phono preamp in case the record output is inaudible.

I appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks