What's new

Wife urging me to buy BIGGER TV! Suggestions!?! (1 Viewer)

William K

Stunt Coordinator
O.K. .... first off.... I am a lucky lucky man! I am married for all of a month now and am being urged into a bigger TV for the house. "OK, OK, if I gotta." LOL!

Anyway, here's the deal. Now that we are married and we moved all my stuff from my Apt. to her house I am in the process of putting my "home theater" back together. (Basic stuff, 5.1 surround Sony equipment, Toshiba DVD, Mitsubishi VCR etc..) The dilemna? I didn't have cable TV before, she does. I have 1 jack in the back on my old 27" RCA TV and when I route the cable thru the VCR and DVD player I get interference on the TV. When I explained this to my wife, she said "So, we need a TV with more hookups right?". Right. So, with the idea that I'll buy a nicer 32" TV we measured out the old entertainment center I have (which we've been discussing replacing in the spring anyway) and went out to a few shops last night and found NONE of the 32" TV's out there will fit my center.

OK.... so now she suggests, "Maybe we should buy a new center AND TV." OK... if I gotta.

So we wind up in a Home Theater store last night looking at a beautiful entertainment center holding a 42" TV. The price on the center was right, they wanted $999 (on sale from like 1299), but it didn't include the TV stand if you wanted to but a 32" TV in it (this is a 4 piece set of furniture). They will throw in the stand for $400 instead of $500.

So... I'm looking at like $1300 for the center. However.. if you add a 32" TV for like $500 to $600... I'm around $2000 (roughly).

Her thought (thanks to me and the sales guy). If we buy a big screen TV (up to 42") to fit w/out the TV stand and find one from $800 to $1000 it would make more sense than paying for a TV stand w/ a smaller TV.

Following this?? I am!

So here's my question. What can I do in the budget of about $800 to $1000 in buying a 32" to a 42" TV that is of quality. Will I sacrifice quality in cheaper but bigger TV or is it worth it? Should I spent the money on a 32" TV and the stand?

Help me out here guys! I am looking for a good quality TV that will be worth spend what little budget I have for this!

Thank you for any help! Let me know if I need to give more details!

Bill

Did I mention I love my wife???

John S

Senior HTF Member
dang my significant other is having a cow that I want to buy a new TV and upgrade to HDTV.... UUHHGG

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
First, any wife that tells their husband to go get a bigger t.v. deserves to pick out the first movie you want to watch to break this sucker in and a bouquet of flowers to make the thank you complete. Now I'm interested in t.v.s that are 42 inches HD ready for around $1,000

William K

Stunt Coordinator
I agree ith both of your posts!!! She will definetly get flowers and dinner out of this! And yes... I think the movie pick is a good idea!

Now... suggestions on a 42" TV that would fit my budget?

Tommy G

Screenwriter
William, what's the room like that you are going to put the HT in? If we had dimensions, we might be able to help you out a little better. Who knows, you may end up with a FP and a pull down screen ;) . Oh I had to also do a quick edit here. When I upgraded my 35" sony to a 106" front projections system, my wife had an absolute fit. However, she now loves it and when we rearranged our living room she thought that the 27" was too small and when I came home with a JVC 32" flat screen, she said "Why didn't you get the 36"?" Unfortunately, the Entertainment Center wouldn't allow anything that big.

William K

Stunt Coordinator
The room is 19' x 16'. The TV will be on the wall that is 16'. The two walls that are 19' both have doors in the middle (one leading out back, the other to the front of the house).

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well I did a little hunting around on the web and the only thing I found that comes close to the price you are looking at is Samsung HD ready 42 inch t.v. with the 16:9 screen at circuitcity.com. I'll post the link in a minute.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
One Call has this one on sale for $1164.42 (no tax). It is a Toshiba HD.

I hear they give great service from a friend who bought from them.

Chriss M

Second Unit
forget the "entertainment center", put a screen on the wall, and go for a projector! $2000 is plenty to do it and you can have any size screen you want :)

William K

Stunt Coordinator

Well, the problem with that is that it doesn't leave me with shelving for the equiipment (reciever and such) or storage for some of my DVDs and Cds like the unit I'm looking at has.

Was a good idea though! :emoji_thumbsup:

Bob_Wilson

Agent
Unlike certain other things in life, size does matter. You would be best served by getting the biggest HDTV ready set the room can hold and your budget can afford.

John S

Senior HTF Member
That is my current logic Bob... I found a source for a 60" Philips non-widescreen though for $1148. Factory reconditioned full factory warranty.

I think I am going to order.

BrianMagog

Stunt Coordinator
John,

You may want to also check out uecweb.com which has factory reconditioned Hitachis. There is alot of buzz about them, try a search on avsforum, though I can't recommend them because I haven't purchased anything from them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As the owner of a 47" TV and having been to several Los Angeles HTF meets...

Size does matter.

I bought my TV 2 years ago, same rationale as you. If I could do it all over again I would go FP (you can get a decent FP + Screen for under $2000 easily, and I bought my TV for $1600).

And you know what? I'd build my own shelving, etc. I mean, once you see a projected image on a nice 90" - 120" screen, there is no going back. Once, when prices were ridiculous (i.e. tens of thousands for FP) there was no choice. Now there is plenty.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
i have been drooling over the panny 47" rptv for about a year. every now and then we would end up at circuit city or best buy, "just looking". about a month ago we were at CC, and my wife asked me what the difference was between the 47 and 53" pannys. i told her the guts were the same, but the bigger one was about 200 bux more. she said "well, when we do get one, it wont be that dinky little 47, it will be that big one over there (the 53)".

so... the other day she told me that there was the one i wanted over there (we were at costco). we went next door to best buy and got them to price match it. came back in the pickup and carted it home!

d@mn! now i gotta keep her!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks