Some hook up questions for a new guy

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JasonG's, Jan 17, 2006.

1. JasonG's

JasonG's Auditioning

Greetings all,

I am new to the home theater scene so bare with me. I recently bought an Onkyo 7.1 system and I want to make sure I'm doing things right. Everything is working right now except the rears (there not hooked up yet),so I just want to verify a few things.

I have component video cables going from my DVD player to my TV for best possible picture. I have S-video from by satellite box to TV(best hook up available from my satellite box)and digital coax. from DVD to receiver for sound. Question is, do I need component cable going to the receiver as well as an S -video to the receiver as well. The receiver has all available hookups but I thought the main job of the receiver is sound output not video???

The reason I'm asking is my instruction manual says some where along the lines as "whatever runs to the receiver needs to run to the TV as well"??

Thanks for any help. Also any thoughts or opinions on Onkyo?

2. John S

John S Producer

I think the manual is referring to if you send video to the reciever, that same video needs to go from reciever to display.

Your not switching any video that I can see through the reciever. Many, but not all 7.1 AVR's (recievers) have on screen programming, so you may want to run an svideo or composite from the AVR to the display as well.

Many people just run video to their display and audio to their reciever though just as you have done.

3. JasonG's

JasonG's Auditioning

Thanks for response John, One problem I have is that I have no extra S-video jacks or component video jacks left. My TV only allows hookup for one each. My receiver on the other hand has plenty but it doesn't do any good if there are no other available jacks. What is on screen programming? Thanks again [​IMG]

4. John Dirk

John Dirk Second Unit

____
    Hi JasonG's;

I don't know the specs of the receiver you have, but it sounds like it has the ability to switch video as well as audio. If that is true, then you can connect your DVD player, satellite box [or both] to the receiver and then use a single [usually component] connection from the receiver to the TV. This will not only solve your immediate problem, but you'll also have access to the on-screen menus. If you're new to home theater, you definately don't want to be without them.

John

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

This is very common. If you run 2 SVideo sources to your reciever, and 1 component to the reciever you must:

- Run a SVideo cable from the reciever to the TV and you can only see the video signals that come in on the SVideo inputs. You cannot see the component video on this input.

- You must also run component cables from the reciever to the TV and you can only see video that comes into the receiver via component.

Most recievers wont convert one video type to another. (There are some exceptions).

It sounds like you have hooked everything up correctly. Running video through the reciever SOMETIMES makes operating the system easier for the wife and kids.

Example: I had my Sat system, DVD system and SVhs VCR all running with SVideo to my reciever, then 1 Svideo cable to the TV. The remote for the reciever would switch both the audio and video with 1 button push. This made it easy for my family to use the system.

Onkyo is a decent brand. Be sure to check out the "FAQ" button at the top of the basics fourm. It will take you to about 30 articles written by our members on how to calibrate and use your system, as well as a variety of other topics.

Enjoy your stay. [​IMG]

6. JasonG's

JasonG's Auditioning

Ahhh, I'm a little confused. Right now I have nothing going to my receiver except for a digital coax. cable for sound. Since I have component cable going from DVD to TV I have to switch the TV to COMP mode to use the component cable. When I watch satellite TV I have to switch the TV to SVID1 to view a picture.

I have to switch the receiver to either DVD mode for movies, Video2 mode for regular TV. Are you guys saying I should or need to go through my receiver for everything to get the best picture ie; comp. video to AVR then comp. video from AVR to TV, S-video from Satellite to AVR and S-video from AVR to TV?? So basically I need 2 Comp. cables and 2 S cables? I do want the best picture and sound I can get, as anyone would[​IMG]

7. John S

John S Producer

Best picture is generally considered not switching video through the reciever.

But if your out of connections, that is how you gain some back for sure.

And yes, you would need one additional Svideo and/or Component video cable to go from the reciever to the display. You already needed one per source anyway, so one additonal cable is needed for each type of video connection you wish to switch through your reciever.

8. JasonG's

JasonG's Auditioning

So unless I wish to switch video input choices through my receiver I really don't need to hook video up through the AVR? Sorry, I'm such a newb at this.

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

That is correct. But, as was mentioned, there is one other reason to run a video connection from the receiver to the TV, at least temporarily. Most newer receivers offer an on-screen programming display to be used to setup the receiver. This displays much more information about the setup than the lights and LED's on the front of the receiver. You may want to hook up an s-video cable from receiver to TV during setup and calibration of the system.

10. John Matt

John Matt Auditioning

Home Theater makes my head hurt. Up until I read this thread, I just assumed that if you had an AV receiver you'd route everything through it.

But now I see that it's possible to get a better picture by just going directly from the source to the monitor and only sending audio through the receiver (which kind of moots the V in "A/V receiver").

So, apart from running out of connections on the monitor, why does anyone route video through the receiver? So that everything is controlled by a single remote? Doesn't the receiver also handle upconversion/downconversion chores as well?

Also, if a moderator sees this, you need to make the FAQ button for this forum much more prominent or sticky a thread about it. I would never have noticed it if I didn't see it mentioned here. It just gets lost on the page.