What's new

Home Theaters in a Box - Why we love them (and you should too) (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hello. I have seen a number of posts where people say "...I was told to stay away from HTIB's!" and I think it is time to correct some misunderstanding.

Here at HTF - we love these things! We recommend them to our friends. We buy them for our family. They are a great way for people to get a complete Home Theater system without spending $$$$ (Save that money and buy the larger TV.)

BUT not all HTIB's are the same. There are some differences and things you should watch for.

HTIB - Pop Quiz:

Below are pictures of 2 Home Theaters in a Box. Both are by Denon (a well respected company) and both retail for $580-$750.

One of these units is a recommended HTIB and the other should be avoided. Can you pick the one we would recommend just by the pictures?

The unit in black with all the speakers is the better unit and sells for $588-$699. The silver unit with only 2 speakers should be avoided and it sells for $740-$800

HTIB - The Basics

A HTIB is a packaged set of peakers, receiver, dvd player and subwoofer all sold together in a single box. The parts all work together and the hookup instructions are usually fantastically clear. (Instructions are easy if the writer knows exactly what equipment you have). This makes a HTIB a great choice for anyone new to home theater.

Most home theaters are built using parts from a variety of manufacturers. The each piece is designed to work with equipment from many other brands. A HTIB has all the pieces from a single company - but the better sets are made from parts that could be sold separately.

Here is how you can spot a 'Good' HTIB:
  • Speakers - The speakers should be small, monitor-style speakers that are all nearly identical in size. (The center speaker can be bigger). The connections on the back should be either binding posts or spring clips that can accept speaker wire. If the speakers have pre-attached wires - avoid the system.
  • Subwoofer - The subwoofer should be self-powered (have an AC power cord). It should also have a female RCA jack on the back. It can have connections for speaker wires - but it must accept an RCA cable for input. It should also have some knob for volume/intensity adjustments.
  • DVD Player - The back of the DVD player should have lots of connection options. An optical and coaxial-digital jack, perhaps an HDMI jack, and a cluster of RCA jacks and a SVideo connection.
  • Receiver - This unit should be a large, heavy box that looks similar to receivers you have seen in the papers. If the unit is a "slim style", it wont have enough space on the back to connect all the other gear you will need to hook up in the near future.

If you look for these features when shopping for a HTIB, you will find units that tend to be more flexible, have a more robust design and be much easier to upgrade in the coming years.

HTIB - The arguments against a HTIB

The guidelines above will avoid many of the problems that give HTIB's a bad reputation. But lets address some of the fears I have seen recently. These include:

"HTIB's are cheap and will fall apart."
"HTIB's wont do a good job with music."
"My friends will laugh at my poor-sounding, cheap system."

The last concern is usually the biggest. You just have to get over the snob factor. A good HTIB is a great sounding movie system from the start and allows you to grow over the years if your interest and budget allow. It wont impress your friends with glossy tower speakers, concert hall sound or how much disposable income you have. It will give you a great movie experience in your home with a system that has all the parts of much more expensive systems

"HTIB's wont do a good job with music." - Ok, there is some truth to this concern.

Music is a lot of different, complex sounds pumping out of 2 speakers every second with total accuracy being the goal.

Home Theater sound is often voices coming out of the center speaker, Low mood-music and effects out of the L/R speakers and occasional sounds out of the rear. Lots of quiet times and the sound is less complex & busy compared to music. The audio from a DVD is highly compressed, often artificial, lots of pauses and the audience ... is lets face it ... WATCHING a movie, and not focused on the sound. Oh, and there are five or six speakers handling this reduced load instead of just two.

All these reasons, and a few more, are why a set of 5 inexpensive, but tone-matched speakers properly setup can give you a great movie experience. But fire up a CD on this system and focus on just the sound and ... it just wont sound right. The less-than-accurate speakers will show their bias towards some sounds over others.

User Stories

Several years ago an administrator on HTF went to his in-laws for Christmas dinner where he was shown a huge box containing an HTIB. Since he was 'into' home theater, they asked him to set up the $550 system. The family ate, visited and watched 2 movies after which the Admin excused himself and ran home. He popped his copy of a movie they had just watched into his dedicated HT room and just listened. His system did sound 'better', but not 5-10 times better the difference in equipment price would imply. He posted his experience and we spent several weeks discussing the reasons & issues.

Several months later, "Stereophile Guide to Home Theater" reviewed this same system and compared it to their "Budget" system where the speakers alone retailed for $1,100, and it held up very well.

A few months later, a good friend bought the same system and I spent a fun afternoon setting it up for him.

Note: Kenwood no longer sells the HTB-503.

Last Christmas I bought the 'good' Dennon unit shown above for my Daughter's apartment. A few months later, "Home Theater" magazine took this budget unit, gave it a very positive review, then mixed and matched the speakers, receiver, DVD player with other equipment to show how flexible the unit is.

Denon 487 Review

Conclusion

There is a large number of different HTIB's out there and my advice may gloss over some really great systems that put the DVD player in the receiver, or use fancy looking brushed metal speakers, but built by a well-known speaker company. Don't reject these systems just because they come in a box. That money you save could let you buy that bigger television, or add in a PS3/XBox 360 or BluRay or HD-DVD player.

Please feel free to post your questions and comments.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
HTIB speaker sets to avoid (White Van Scam)

Here is a list of speaker systems that are to be avoided. They can be found on Craigslist or someone drives up to you at a gas station and offers to sell these $1,500 systems to you for half.

Avoid these names:

White Van" Speaker Scam product lines:

Acoustic Response Series 707
Acoustic Image 3311 / 3312
Acoustic Lab Technology
Acoustic Monitor
Acoustic 3312 Studio Monitor
Acoustic Response

(not to be confused with the companies: Acoustic Research, Acoustic Image, Acoustic Lab Technology)

Advanced Sound Technologies AST X2 1055

Audiofile 583LR
Audiofile 835LR

Audio Tech

Dahlton KV 1500
Dahlton KV 2500 TI Speakers
Dahlton AV5.1 THX

DiVinci

Denmark (not to be confused with Denon)
Denmark Loud Speaker E830LR

Digital Audio SL-3810
Digital Audio DA 2000SL / 2000CS
Digital Audio 2000
Digital Audio Professional Speaker Systems SL-3810
Digital Audio Skyline 900-SL
Digital Audio SL-3910 Speakers
Digital Audio 2003 DA 5.1 Pro-Series III
Digital Dogg Audio
Digital Pro Audio
Digital Pro Audio SL-T 2.8
Digital Research 5.1 Pro Series
Digital Research DA 5.1 Pro Series III

Dogg Digital

Dynalab (not to be confused with Dynamat)

Epiphany Audio speakers

Elite Audio (not to be confused with Yorkville's Elite line of speakers)

Fleetwood Audio

Genesis
Genesis Media Labs

Grafdale (not to be confused with Wharfdale)

Hauffman

Innovative Sound Digital Pro Audio

Kirsch X3 (not to be confused with Klipsch)

Linear Phase studio monitors (not to be confused with Phase Linear)

Millenium
Millenium MTS 2208

Omni Audio

PSD (2.8) (not to be confused with PSB.)

PTS (Precision Transducer Systems)

Palermo
Palermo VA 6.1

Paradyme (not to be confused with Paradigm)

Pro Audio
Pro Dynamics
Proline Acoustic
Protecsound PT-5000 digital surround sound system speakers

Samurai 518

Skyline AD-900SL
Skyline Digital Denmark 800 or 900 "series"

Studio Tech (Pro Poly Series)

Theater Innovations (Ti 5100)

Theater Logic

Theater Research TR-900
Theater Research TR-1120
Theater Research TR-1410 Digital Sound Speakers
Theater Research 2380
Theater Research TR-2810
Theater Research TR-5210 Professional Home Theater
Theater Research TR5160
Theater Research TR6000
Theater Research TR-6100 Digital Sound/5.1 Home Cinema
Theater Research 8810
Theater Research Pro Series III Professional Home

Ultra Digital Labs

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The only problem I have with an HTIB system, is the number of inputs. If all you want or need the surround for, is dvds and tv, most HTIB's will be great. But when you start wanting to hookup the ps3, Xbox, Wii, HD DVD, or Blu ray dvd players, then you need something more than the average HTIB. There are high end HTIB's, you'll need to get into then.

Other than that, HTIB systems can definitely be a great purchase, for someone that wants surround sound, without spending a lot of money.

I despise those systems that have the dvd player built into the receiver!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It has been a while since I ran a survey, but most separate receivers only offer 2 HD rated component inputs and now only 2 HDMI inputs. You have to go to the nearly $2,000 receivers to get more.

The Dennon HTIB above has 2 HDMI inputs and will do analog->HDMI conversion for the svideo and composite inputs.

FryDog

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
I could be blind, but I don't see where there are 2 HDMI inputs on the Denon DHT-487DV. I see the HDMI out from the DVD player, but no HDMI in on the dvd or receiver.

joseph westcott

Second Unit
My problem is that audio should not take a back seat just to get a bigger display. It seems that everyone wants a big tv and that is all that matters. It is what everything looks like and audio is a distant second in priorities. I think this is a terrible way to represent the concept of home theater. Quality audio should get far more attention than video because it is far more diffilcut to attain. It is not just the speakers and their quality, but where they are placed. Seating distance, orientation to the room. Proximity to the walls. All the things that can take a good speaker and make it sound great. You can not defy the laws of physics and small speakers produce a small sound. Movies are not just made up of dialogue and explosions. Many films are carefully crafted pieces of art with a blend of subtle and not subtle music scores. Musicals deserve better. And, I would much rather have better sound from two or three quality speakers, than bad sound from 6 undersized coke cans. Quality speakers can last generations, even when other components come and go like hairstyles. Do HTIB's have their place? Sure, if that is all you can afford or if you have a very small secondary room that is not your primary viewing area. I just can not recommend these systems when people can obviously afford spending thousands of dollars on a cool looking flat panel display. Peoples priorities should be equally weighted for home theater and HTIB's cater to those people who do not know any better or are happy with the sound produced by their MP3 player. I think it our responsibility to educate the masses and help them appreciate what quality sound is and place a much larger emphasisinvestment in its reproduction.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Thanks for writing this clarification!

When buying ANYHTING, it is wise to consider the user's needs first, and the user's budget also first. Just because a few folks can, or desire to, spend a ton of cash on the top-end besty best of everything doesn't mean everyone is required to follow suit.

My system is modest, and cost more than I'd spend all at once, but I'm happy with it. (at least until I get a bigger screen, bigger subwoofer, and replace the receiver with a set of amps....redecorate.....get nicer seats...)

An HTiB system I installed for my dad is probably the best we could do at his budget, which was about one-sixth what I've spent. And ya know what? it doesn't sound half bad. Mine's better, of course (raises nose a bit)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

!!??!!

I just downloaded the PDF and I dont see anything about HDMI either!

But I swear it had it. Not only did it have 2 HDMI inputs on the receiver, but it did analog->HDMI conversion? (It's possible I got the model number wrong). I'll call Daughter 1of3 this weekend and get the right model number. Apologies.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
My father beat me every day as a child. He also beat my brother and sister and killed my mother. To this day I still seek my revenge as he is the most hated person I have ever known.

That being said, I don't hate him enough to ever suggest he buy a HTIB.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Kevin - don't hold back. Share your feelings with the group! :)

Onlookers take note: My opinion/encouragement is not universally accepted. Please feel free to chime in with your experiences or opinions good or bad about HTIB's.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I've heard a few HTiB and the ones from the companies that make good low end receivers (Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha) have sounded pretty good for what they are. Certainly a great solution for someone on a budget who wants to get into HT. Especially good is that although they are not filled with the latest and greatest, the receivers are usually actual receivers from the companies model line and they can be used as a good base to upgrade from. Not bad for around $500 +/- $200.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i never would have thought of htib but for my brother it seemed perfect fit.

he just bought a 42" plasma LG and a htib also LG.
the htib was about $300.

the subwoofer is not powered but it sounds terrific.
he has an apt and this thing kicks for such small speakers and little subwoofer.

this tv

and

this htib

Wyz_sub10

Grip
Real Name
Duane
My first HT setup was a Pioneer HTIB, refurbished, that I paid about $380 for. The receiver is still a great unit, but the connection are out of date, and the speakers are still in great shape. I bought this back in 2001.

I would definitely recommend a good HTIB to a a friend because it's a great way to pique one's interest in HT, and to get that first low-commitment exposure to 5.1, different sound modes, etc.

Why not?

Maintcoder

Auditioning
Real Name
Kent

I agree. I also have an older Pioneer HTiB setup that I would like to upgrade to enhance my viewing pleasure on my newer 52" Mitsubishi DLP TV for exactly the same reason - out of date connections and capability (i.e. upconverting).

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
I consider a decent HTiB a great "gateway drug" into the realm of home theater. I started out with a simple JVC HTiB 6 years ago with a 27" tv, and now, well... lets just say I've grown.... My dedicated home theater has towers, 7.1, etc..., but my family room has a nice little Yamaha HTiB and its perfect for our needs. You have to start somewhere!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks