What's new

just got my new Toshiba 50" widescreen!! few questions though (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
Hey All!
Just ordered my Toshiba 50" widescreen, Im so excited, it arrives the 19th of Sept. I had a few questions on the hookup of my home theater though. Im using a Sony STR-DE675 receiver. Im thinking that I have to do the following:
hook my DVD player to the tv using component wires, and hook the dvd to the reciever via digital optical cables. Is this correct? Im assuming that since it doesnt seem like my receiver has component IN that i can go DVD -> Receiver -> TV. Any info is appreciated! Also any tips for a home theater newbie is appreciated too!!
THanks!!
-Jason!

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
uhh i mean that i cant go dvd -> receiver -> tv..even though i said can before. duh. thanks!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Jason,
I think you've got it right--since your reciever doesn't have component video you shouold run component video cables direct from the player to the tv, and optical digital cable direct from the dvd player to the receiver for audio.
As far as general hints: The best thing you can do is get a copy of the Video Essentials or AVIA Guide to Home Theater dvds and calibrate your new set's video controls as soon as you get it. This will reduce contrast and brightness from the factory default "torch"settings which will greatly improve the picture quality and extend the life of your crts.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks