What's new

'9/11' special NEEDS to be preserved on dvd! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I finally got to watch 9/11 last night, which

I had taped on my REPLAY TV.

It was just an amazing documentary that

brought out so many emotions from within me.

I am so glad it was shown, and I agree that

it absolutely needed to be seen.

I also feel that this should be released on

DVD with all the cut footage placed back in.

Horatio Jones

Stunt Coordinator
i thought it was 4x3, something just didn't look right on my wide screen. thank you for confirming this. That was point originally the OAR should be preserved instead of basterdizing it as a pseudo 16x9

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I would buy it in heart beat as well. I taped it and have since watched it twice. I really liked the show and would like to own it on dvd to add to my collection.

Has anybody started a petition that we could send to the studio's?

R~

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
My TiVo grabbed it for me on Sunday night. I'm in the process of making a DVD of it on my Mac (please, NO requests for it). I think that this really is the best documentary that could be made of this tragic event. This really deserves a DVD release, with proceeds going to the Scholarship Fund mentioned in the show.

Mike

Douglas Kalon

Stunt Coordinator
I also would buy this on DVD if and when it becomes available.

I am not 100% sure, but before this special aired one of the entertainment shows stated something about that this would be available at a later date on DVD and video with more footage than what was shown on TV. Either Access Hollywood, Entertainment Tonight or E! New Daily said this. But I am not 100% sure which one or when they said this.

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Here you go guys:

CBS purchased exclusive rights to "9/11." Although the network has not made any formal announcements yet, CBS may rebroadcast the documentary and release a DVD of the film later this year.
I work for Nextel and this came from an article about the special on our intranet.

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
I also Tivo'd the special, and was able to tranfer it to DVD with my DVCII and DVD burner. I'd be more than happy to share it, but I think thats a big copyright no-no.

Marc.

Steve-T

Grip
On the E! web site, they stated that CBS only had broadcast rights, the French men retained DVD rights in which they plan to release several diffent videos. Similar to info Mark had above.
I would like to see a sale for charity for the DVD. It is an important historical record which I would like to have. It reminds one of the important job our firemen and policemen do in protecting the public. It also stresses the importance of the job our soldiers are doing around the world, how they need our support. In response to an earlier comment, I felt like killing an Al Queda member myself. (still do):angry:

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I would like to see a sale for charity for the DVD.{/quote]Steve, considering the way the the media have profited from the 9/11 attacks, I don't think it would be fair to expect the French brothers who made this documentary (or anyone else, for that matter) to donate what they make from their sales to any funds.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
No I'm not interested on this on DVD especialy on the "carefuly edited" tv presentation.I know that CBS "couldn't" show some of the footage,but this was suppose to be a documentary of a real event.I was much more "taken" by the live footage on that fateful morning.

GregK

Screenwriter
Here's a bit of info the 16x9 debate. ..I don't have

all of the info, but enough to fill in the gaps.

The disputed "letterboxed" footage shot by the French

fellow was recorded with a professional Sony DV camera

using the electronic 16x9 mode. So all of the footage he

shot was recorded in 16x9. I work for a local ABC affiliate

and on 9/11 CNN sent some of the footage down- still in the

4X3 squeezed mode, and it was very apparent that it was

shot in 16x9 even then. ...Of course most footage shot

by others was in standard 4x3.

Hope this helps.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
However, I'd only buy a DVD version that was not "heavily edited" for TV, as DeNiro stated in the opening.
I think most people that expressed this opinion are misinterpreting what the 'edited' version is. There was over 180 hours of film footage captured by Jules and Gedeon Naudet.
Knowing that, does anyone here really want the 90 DVDs it would take to store all that footage? I can understand maybe an extended cut (up from 2 hours to 4 hours).
Just an FYI - CBS nor did the Naudet brothers cheat anyone in terms of edited footage.
Check out this article, very enlightening about the filming.
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...levision-print
-Brian

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Besides possible scenes of how they set their daily schedules, catalogued their daily tapes, and process of editing the footage into the final film, exactly what "edited" footage is missing? The only items that the brothers mentioned by voice that were purposefully removed were graphic footage of peoples bodies being burned alive, or jumping from the tower. Is this what you *really* want to see? If so, I suggest you buy yourself the "Faces of Death" collection.

I personally have no need to graphically see a human being suffer and die, but to each their own I guess...

Rich

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Is this what you *really* want to see? If so, I suggest you buy yourself the "Faces of Death" collection.

I personally have no need to graphically see a human being suffer and die, but to each their own I guess...
To each his own indeed. People's curiosity about death and dying is almost always too quickly labeled an act of morbidity. As a mental health professional, I believe it's natural and not necessarily unhealthy for people to want to see death, whether it's people jumping from buildings or even burning. 9/11 is something that touched every American very closely, like an enormous death in the family, so it's not surprising or sick that people would want to know or even see everything, take it all in, whatever you want to call it. I have actually seen this footage because it was played over and over on foreign television, which I get on satellite. I didn't find it traumatic or revolting, just a whole other level of this tragedy which the media in our country has obviously deemed us unprepared to watch.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
The only items that the brothers mentioned by voice that were purposefully removed were graphic footage of peoples bodies being burned alive, or jumping from the tower
Unless I misread or misheard the actual quote, the brothers never even filmed this kind of stuff. They mention coming across burning bodies in the lobby, but never specifically stated they filmed it. It was my understanding it was so disturbing to them they not only didn't film this event, but didn't film anything else deemed to graphic.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Brian is right.

The actual quote was that they never filmed it, deeming it unnecessarily graphic. No matter how uncut the disc is, that stuff won't be on it.

-Chad

Brian-W

Screenwriter
They stated that it WILL be released on DVD but a different version of what was to be shown on TV.
Just got through some of my Video Business magazines, and apparently the release date is scheduled for 9/12/02. The article stated they're looking for a distributor to put together a DVD with much more footage.

So it's coming as Mark pointed out earlier.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If they put in all the footage, even the stuff that was too graphic for CBS, and donated all the profits (ie. all the money minus the costs of production) to a 9/11 charity, then I would buy it. But if anyone was trying to make money off it, or if they were going to lessen it in anyway by holding anything back, then no.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks