What's new

DVD Review Parks and Recreation Season 6 DVD Review (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Parks and Recreation Season 6 DVD Review

Parks and Recreation: Season 6 provides a to-do list on DVD of the most recent season of the NBC comedy. The 3-disc collection presents all 22 episodes in anamorphic picture and 5.1 sound, once again with a decent assortment of extras, mostly consisting of deleted scenes from the episodes, along with a gag reel, some promos, and a few other items, including the on-set farewells to cast members Rashida Jones and Rob Lowe. The series continues to be an acquired taste, but fans of the show should be happy with this collection as they stand by to hear when the show will return to the air in early 2015.

Posted Image

Studio: Universal

Distributed By: N/A

Video Resolution and Encode: 480P/MPEG-2

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1

Audio: English 5.1 DD

Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish

Rating: Not Rated

Run Time: 9 Hrs. 17 Min.

Package Includes: DVD

Disc Type: DVD-9 (dual layer)

Region: 1

Release Date: 08/19/2014

MSRP: $39.98

The Production Rating: 2/5

Parks and Recreation: Season 6 provides another good look at NBC’s comedy, which takes the mockumentary approach of The Office and applies it to a dysfunctional parks and recreation department in fictional Pawnee, Indiana. As before, this means that people frequently address a fictional documentary team as the various scenes unfold, usually with the characters finding themselves in uncomfortable situations that become increasingly awkward along the way. Anchoring the show is Amy Poehler, whose Leslie Knope seems to have an invulnerable air of positivity and optimism, in spite of a season arc that sees her character facing a recall election out of her city council position. She’s accompanied by a cast who are certainly eager to play, especially Aziz Ansari, Nick Offerman and Rob Lowe. If you’re a fan of this kind of humor, or of The Office, this comedy will likely work very well for you. For myself, the show continues to try too hard and push it too far. For others, particularly fans of Amy Poehler, this show will continue to be a fun romp.The DVD set includes all 22 episodes of the 6th season in anamorphic picture and 5.1 sound, along with a decent selection of extras, mostly consisting of deleted scenes culled from each episode.

Video Rating: 3.5/5 3D Rating: NA

Parks and Recreation: Season 6 is presented in an anamorphic 1.78 transfer that shows off a clear picture and accurate flesh tones. This is a perfectly acceptable standard definition presentation of the series, matching how viewers without HD reception will have seen the show.

Audio Rating: 3.5/5

Parks and Recreation: Season 6 is presented in an English Dolby Digital 5.1 mix that focuses on the front channels, as one might expect with this kind of dialogue comedy. As we have heard before, the mix certainly is clear and the dialogue is easy to understand.

Special Features Rating: 3/5

DISC BY DISC:As I regularly do with TV series sets, I will use the Special Features section to describe what can be found on each disc, in order. The deleted scenes are all presented in anamorphic picture and 2.0 sound. These scenes can be accessed via the appropriate episode or via a “Play All” option for all the scenes found on each disc.There are chapters to each episode, but they are not in any menu, so you wind up needing to jump through the episode blindly to get back to a specific point.DISC ONE:Episodes: London, Part 1 & Part 2, with deleted scenes (4:23) – The double-sized season premiere finds Leslie Knope bringing some of her entourage with her to the United Kingdom while she faces political flack and a recall election back home. Henry Winkler begins an arc as the gynecologist nemesis of Aziz Ansari’s Tom. Some footage for this episode was shot on location in London and Scotland.The Pawnee-Eagleton Tip Off Classic, with a deleted scene (1:48)Dopplegangers, with deleted scenes (2:09)Filibuster, with a deleted scene (0:55)Recall Vote, with deleted scenes (4:30) – The recall vote comes around the same time as Halloween, with equally frightening results for everyone.Fluoride, with a deleted scene (1:01)The Cones of Dunshire, with deleted scenes (3:26)Disc One contains the following Special Features:Parks and Recreation in Europe Webisodes (9:04 Total, Anamorphic) – This is a collection of five webisodes covering the show’s visit to the UK, mostly centering on the character of Ron, played by Nick Offerman. The titles of the segments are “Tourists”, “Andy at Stonehenge”, “Ron’s Journey”, “Ron at the Distillery” and “Ron wants to Buy a House”. The segments can be viewed individually or via a “Play All” option. Much of the footage simply expands what we’ve already seen in the London episodes, but there are several patches where the webisodes provide much richer experiences. It’s the fourth segment I need to single out here – “Ron at the Distillery”. In this segment, Ron visits the Lagavulin Whisky Distillery in Scotland. The viewer is forced to watch Ron in lovely Islay, both inside and outside of the facility, followed by footage of Ron drawing whisky right out of the cask, followed by footage of Ron enjoying multiple drams of Lagavulin, presumably straight from the cask. Then we get to see Ron being allowed to sleep in the distillery, with his head against his favorite cask. Have I mentioned that I HATE RON????The Hapley Group (5:06, Anamorphic) – This is a pair of segments of the fictional politics talk show seen in the series, complete with mock commercials running between the segments.Winter Games Promos (1:02, Anamorphic) – Several promos for NBC’s airing of the 2014 Winter Olympics are presented here. They are presented in a bundle, without any option to watch them separately. Previews – Here is a collection of previews for other television series available on DVD from Universal: The Office, 30 Rock, Jarhead 2: Field of Fire, House, Suits, Covert Affairs, Royal Pains and Monk.DISC TWO:Episodes:Second Chunce, Original Aired Version (21:34) – This is the 100th episode of the series.Second Chunce, Producers’ Extended Cut (26:08) – This version of the episode is only available in 2.0 sound.New Beginnings, with deleted scenes (2:53)Farmer’s Market, with deleted scenes (7:01)Ann and Chris with deleted scenes (2:44) – This is the final episode of the series to have Rob Lowe and Rashida Jones in the regular cast.Anniversaries, with deleted scenes (11:46) – This episode is the one that features a bit where Ben (Adam Scott) is presented with a mock-up of the Iron Throne from Game of Thrones…The Wall, with a deleted scene (1:17)New Slogan, with deleted scenes (2:47)Disc Two contains the following Special Features:100th Episode (20:34, Anamorphic) – This featurette covers the celebration of the series reaching its milestone 100th episode. Some on-set footage is shown of the remarks from the show’s producer as well as from Amy Poehler. Clips from multiple episodes are shown, intercut with brief interview soundbites from various cast members.Rashida & Rob Farewells (1:51, Anamorphic) – On-set footage is shown of the send-offs for cast members Rashida Jones and Rob Lowe, as they complete their final scenes for the series. Jones gets to sit in the mock-up of the Iron Throne for her farewell.T-Dazzle Commercial (0:38, Anamorphic) – Here’s a mock commercial for Tom (Aziz Ansari) and his new product…Chipp McCapp Music Video (1:56, Anamorphic) – This is a mock country music video for that great new country hit “Beautiful Like My Mom (Support the Troops)” as inflicted by that incredible country star, Chipp McCapp.DISC THREE:Episodes:Galentine’s Day, with a deleted scene (1:35) – This episode features a return appearance by Rashida Jones, her final one for the series.Prom, with a deleted scene (0:45)Flu Season 2, Original Aired Version (21:34)Flu Season 2, Producers’ Extended Cut (27:20)One in 8000, with a deleted scene (1:27)Moving Up, Part 1 & Part 2, Original Aired Version (43:03) – This is the double-sized Season Finale, which includes a bit of a tribute to the end of the second season of the Battlestar Galactica reboot.Moving Up, Part 1 & Part 2, Producers’ Extended Cut (53:03) – This version is only available in 2.0 sound.Disc Three contains the following Special Features:Gag Reel (19:30, Anamorphic) – Nearly 20 minutes of blown takes and crack-ups are preserved here from throughout the sixth season.

Overall Rating: 2.5/5

Parks and Recreation: Season 6 is a good collection of the penultimate season of the NBC comedy. The picture and sound quality of the discs is just fine, as are the special features, but I daresay that won’t be the reason fans of the show will pick up this set. Serious fans already have the set and are likely using it to fill the weeks until the show finally comes back to the airwaves in early 2015.

Reviewed By: Kevin EK

Support HTF when you buy this title:

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
One of my favorite shows on TV with one of the best casts on TV in my opinion. I could watch this series over and over on an endless loop and probably never get tired of it. Oh, and Ron Swanson is not only my favorite character on the show but one of my favorite characters on TV! I do wish the series was on Blu-Ray though!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It will be a long, long time before I can forgive Ron Swanson for what he did at Lagavulin...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks