What's new

'9/11' special NEEDS to be preserved on dvd! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This is a historic moment caught harrowingly on tape, and it needs to be preserved on dvd IMO. The special was very tastefully done and it was a testiment to those firefighters, I would be honored to have this as part of my collection.
Now, I understand that this is not like a movie that will be watched over and over again, but it would still be nice to have as a visual record from the firefighters points of veiw.
What do you think, also, would you buy it?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I agree! And I bet it will be soon too!

Excellent program.

My stomach was tied in knots the whole time while watching. I'm sure we've all seen many "you are there" documentaries....but surely NOTHING as powerful as this incredible 9/11 special! WE are taken to Ground Zero as it's all happening!

I'd buy it on DVD in a heartbeat.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Randy,

Yes. It was unpleasant. Several times I had to get up and leave the room because what was on the screen was too much for me to handle emotionally. I also think that every American high school student should be forced to watch it. Much like SCHINDLER'S LIST, it shows what can happen when hate and discontent lead to unspeakable acts of violence against humanity. Maybe by people being forced to confront the reality of hate, we can learn to think twice before allowing our own hate to reach the same level as the terrorists. I know it had that effect on me. It didn't make me want to go kill Al Quaeda members. It showed me the best that the human spirit has to offer when faced with horrible situations. Love for our fellow man was the lesson of 9/11. The filmmakers did a wonderful job.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
How unpleasant...wouldn't watch it, wouldn't buy it.
Would you find unpleasant, not watch and not buy any documentary with clips of real war footage? Holocaust? True crime? Zapruder film? Or any film depicting such events?

At the least this show is an historical document, not of the people or motivation behind the attacks, but of the response of regular people and police/firemen when faced with unimaginable tragedy.

In fact, because this was so unimaginable it is absolutely essential to document it and view it- not only for ourselves in the years to come, as our memories become less fresh- but more importantly for future generations.

It reminds us not only of the evil manifested by man but also the courage and courage possible by every man. It reminds us that there are things in life to fear, but moreso that in the face of fear we can rely on our neighbors to come to our assistance.

BTW, I refuse to call this an "unspeakable" tragedy because it needs to be spoken of. "The past is prologue"- for better and worse, and if we forget it, or become complacent to it, then we are destined to repeat it.

David_E

Auditioning
I watched it last night and was thinking the exact same thing...."This should be on dvd". So yes I would buy it! I think some of the money made from the dvd sales should go to the firemen as well. I have an even greater respect for firemen after watching that documentary.

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
Unpleasant, and necessary. I want to be able to show my children something to help explain what happened when they ask in a few years.

This is history now, and will be talked about in schools and history books just like every other infamous date in world history.

I would buy it.

Bryan

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
They should release this episode as well other documentaries, news footage and other materials regarding 9/11 on DVD.

Normally I don't like situations like this being milked, but if the proceeds go towards all the 9/11 funds - then I don't have a problem with it.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
agreed. this was an amazing document of a horrible tragedy. those french guys who shot it did an amazing job. you could tell it affected them as much as the firefighters they were with that summer. i heard that one of them has since become an american citizen, while the other's citizenship is pending.

i was surprised the chief let him keep filming, but after i thought about it, they must have realized that a document of these events could be extremely important in the future.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think it moved nearly everyone to tears. I'd like to have it too, but it is only one POV, and we should have others.

I saw a documentary a week or two back on how and why the buildings collapsed. That would make an excellent disk as well.

But other things happened as a result of it too. The NYPD had a bad day, and the POV from the local stores and eateries, the media and well, I could go on and on. I am sure that the footage is out there.

Glenn

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with you guys about the DVD. I recorded the show on my Replay TV instead of my VCR because I wanted the highest quality recording and the ability to copy it to my computer and burn it to a DVD (if and when I buy a burner).

It was a quality show that deserves to be watched again, if only so we never forget the horror of what happened.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I would buy it in a heart beat.

This should not be forgotten (like it could be)

Marc

MichaelG

Second Unit
How unpleasant...wouldn't watch it, wouldn't buy it.
I can repect that. I think it's ridiculous that anyone here would criticize someone feeling this way about watching or buying this show. Different people have different feelings about similar events. Even if Randy did watch Pearl Harbor, that doesn't mean that he is as emotionaly tied to that event as this one. For whatever reason he feels this way, nobody should be telling him that he should want to watch it.

I myself taped it an plan to watch it with my girlfriend this week.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
So far so good: Let's keep this discussion focused on the program's potential as a DVD presentation; post lengthy comments about the program itself in "TV Programming." Thanks.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
What would be nice for added features would be clipped news bytes from 9/11 showing the confusion the networks were having at the time and the news people at the site.

There has been so much animation of what happened and interviews from designers and so forth AND include the Pentagon. Make it a package deal of the entire day!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks