What's new

5 channel amp for Paradigm Studio 100's (1 Viewer)

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

Trying to decide between a Parasound 855 (5x85) and a Rotel 1075 (5x120) to hook up to a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's. Price is an issue since I am also looking to upgrade my Denon AVR3300 receiver to an Anthem AVM20 pre.

I am leaning towards the Parasound since I have heard that it's a great combination with the Paradigm's. I'm just worried about the 85 watts running the 100's Evantually I will make them sing with Odyssey monoblocks but for now since I really want the AVM20, will the 855 tide me over?

Thanks

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
I am not experienced with the Parasound. I own the 1075 and can attest to its quality in build and sound.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
The way I understand it, there is very little difference between 85X5 and 120X5. Technically, if one of them is underpowered, both of them are. As I understand it, you must double wattage to get a 3db gain in sound.

DaleV

Agent
I'm using a Parasound 2205AT with Studio 40's and it's very nice. You might want to try that amp with the 100's. Also have read here and other places the Sherbourn 1500 works well with the 100's. Just a couple of other options for you to consider. I would think though for the 100's at least consider 200 watts per channel as the very least to go with. Just my opinion.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I'm waiting for a used Carver AV-705X (5 x 125wpc) that I bought off of E-Bay. I will be biamping my Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts with (4) of the channels, and use the fifth channel for my CC-350 center. I paid $550 for the Carver. It is suppose to be a great amp for that money!!

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
PhillipC,

Studio 100s are pretty big speakers. I haven't really compared different amps, but from reading lots of reviews it looks like the general consensus on Studio 100s is that they need close to 200wpc amp to really open then up, not 100-125wpc (unless you biamp them).

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Phillip

How loud do you listen?

Do you have a powered subwoofer in your system?

85-125 watts won't get the best bass out of the Paradigms but if you have a sub, either one could hold you for a while.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
How long do you think you'll have to "suffer" with one of these amps before moving up to the Odyssey monoblocks? Do I assume you'll find other uses for the selected 5 ch amp once the Odyssey amps are in place, e.g., are you going to be using the other 3 channels while driving the 100's with it?

Doug

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to buy a 5 channel amp under $1200 US. That way I can get the Anthem AVM20 as well. Then probably in about 6 months to a year upgrade to the Odyssey Monoblocks. I know the 100's will evantually need a high powered amp. Just trying to get something temporary for now.

Mike Nep

Stunt Coordinator
Underpowering your speakers is NOT a good idea. You can do it but I wouldn't listen at loud volumes. Even if its temporary get something with substantial power.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Perhaps you should also consider the ATI 1505(5x150W), Outlaw 750(5X165W IIRC) and the Anthem MCA5/50(>5X150W, depending on how many channels driven). These amps are available under $1200 used.

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
Someone had mentioned that the ATI amps would sound bright with the Paradigms and the metal tweeter

Doug_B

Screenwriter
What I was probing for is how many speakers you currently have and how are you currently powering them? If your equipment architecture allows it, another option is to get the 3 channel Odyssey Stratos HT3 for the front soundstage and power the remaining speakers with what you already have. The HT3 can handle the 100s and a center and can thus give you additional time before moving to monoblocks, if you still feel the need. In such a case, then you can cover an add'l 3 speakers with the HT3. The HT3 is a few hundred more than your budget (and some more if you get the cap upgrade), but I would guess that you'd be able to live with the HT3 up front longer than with the 5 channel amps that you're considering.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks