What's new

Recommendations for 5-channel power amplifier? (1 Viewer)

skhan007

Auditioning
Real Name
skhan007
I'm interested in suggestions, pros/cons, etc. for a 5-channel power amplifier. I'm hoping to build a new 5.1 home theater set up and will be using a power amp to receive the analog outs from the Oppo 105 D (soon to be purchased). The Oppo has individual outs for 7.1, but I will be doing a mix down to 5.1. The sub will receive its own dedicated analog line out from the Oppo, which will leave the fronts, center, and two rear speakers to feed a power amp.

I'm planning to do all bookshelf type speakers (leaning towards Paradigm at the moment). The speaker salesman said at least 80 watts per channel should do. So far, I've been recommended Parasound and Anthem and was wondering what all you've been happy with. Recommendations, thoughts, and insights are much appreciated!

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Parasound has some very reasonable amps. I think even something like an HCA-855 will be more powerful then just about any receiver. Bryston, B&K, Carver, Rotel, various others. Amps are long lasting, reliable components so even if you decide to move up to brands like Krell & McIntosh, it's something you can own and use for many years. My Parasound amp was purchased in 1999 and still works perfectly even though the sources and processing has changed

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
You also may want to consider pro amps, as I am now planning. I can no longer justify the prices for the consumer HT gear. There are issues (gain, connectivity etc.) you need to resolve if you combine pro and consumer gear, but in the end it is cheaper, and you get more power.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Did not mention a budget...I have been running with an Outlaw 5 channel amp for years and am very happy with it.

Might want to look at Emotiva also - 5 channel X 200 Watts - On sale for X-mass - $888.00

-- Also have a High end model - 5 channel X 400 Watts - $2,069 -- would probably be overkill here.

-- You could also get a 7 channel amp ( for the ability to upgrade to 7.1) - and just use 5 channels for now - something like:

Outlaw Audio - 7 X 125 Watts - $999.00

Or their 5 channel model - 5 channel X 200 Watts - $1599.00

Glen B2

Agent
Real Name
Glen
If I were looking for an amp in the sub-$1500 range I would seriously consider the Emotiva. It offers the best bang for the buck, and enough power so that you don't feel the need to upgrade to a more powerful amp later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks