What's new

4k Projectors Buyers and Owners Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronbo,

It's your money, but a word of advice from a retiree, don't get caught up in that "I have to have it now" fever/syndrome. If that little voice in your head is talking to you and making you feel it's not the right time to buy a new projector then you might want to listen to it. I had the upgrade fever a few weeks ago and almost bought a new top of the line Marantz receiver, but that little voice in my head kept asking me that same question. Do you really need it now? The answer was no, I was only buying it to satisfy my upgrade fever.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ronbo,

It's your money, but a word of advice from a retiree, don't get caught up in that "I have to have it now" fever/syndrome. If that little voice in your head is talking to you and making you feel it's not the right time to buy a new projector then you might want to listen to it. I had the upgrade fever a few weeks ago and almost bought a new top of the line Marantz receiver, but that little voice in my head kept asking me that same question. Do you really need it now? The answer was no, I was only buying it to satisfy my upgrade fever.

Robert,

Oh, that voice is speaking loudly.

I totally understand what you are telling me.

I swore I would never upgrade my projector to 4k. However, I was fortunate enough to have the money sitting here. If I don't buy the projector I invest it.

In a year, I will be retired. There will be no way I could justify spending that money.

So, in a way, it's now or never.

If I buy the projector now, it will serve me well for years to come. It's a good projector and certainly an upgrade over my Sony that I will notice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Then go for it, if you're sure the picture quality with 4K/UHD on these projectors will be just as fine as on your OLED.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never say NEVER...

KeyVisRS2000web.jpg

Just ordered the JVC RS-2000.

Got an offer I could not refuse.

As far as glasses are concerned....

I went with an Xpand RF emitter I bought off eBay and 4 of these glasses out of Germany:

https://www.hi-shock.de/en/detail/index/sArticle/301/number/SW10052

Will eventually have Gregg Loewen of LionAV calibrate my projector. Not certain the release date of this projector.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Never say NEVER...

View attachment 50583

I went with an Xpand RF emitter I bought off eBay and 4 of these glasses out of Germany:

Will eventually have Gregg Loewen of LionAV calibrate my projector. Not certain the release date of this projector.

Awesome!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of this bad boy. I suspect you’ll be thrilled.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Never say NEVER...

View attachment 50583

Well Ron, I think some of us knew you were leaning there all along based on your comments.:) The cash outlay was the only thing whispering in your ear and holding you back, but we can tell you really wanted to do this despite the expense.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well Ron, I think some of us knew you were leaning there all along based on your comments.:) The cash outlay was the only thing whispering in your ear and holding you back, but we can tell you really wanted to do this despite the expense.

I did.

Unfortunately, I had to spend money on top of that for new glasses, emitter and mounting plate but that's usually the case when you switch brands.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did.

Unfortunately, I had to spend money on top of that for new glasses, emitter and mounting plate but that's usually the case when you switch brands.
I had a feeling that's why you wanted that Sony projector, but apparently this JVC is heads above that Sony projector. When do you think you'll have your new projector setup to run?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I did.

Ron, are you keeping the old projector or selling it?

Unfortunately, the depreciation is pretty extreme for most video/electronic gear but if you did sell I’d image you’d at least cover the cost of the new emitter, glasses and mounting plate.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Ronald Epstein I bet that since you bought at pre-order pricing, if you have buyer’s remorse (which I don’t think you will) you’d be able to re-sell the JVC at no loss. You should be in a no-risk situation, even buying sight-unseen. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had a feeling that's why you wanted that Sony projector, but apparently this JVC is heads above that Sony projector. When do you think you'll have your new projector setup to run?

The latest report from JVC is that this new line of projectors will not be released into the wild until early November. There aren't even review units out there so essentially I am buying this blindly. However, JVC has a phenomenal reputation and I don't worry about a purchase before a review.

Could have gone back to a Sony projector. However, JVC is supposed to have much better blacks. I think JVC has always been a better projector choice over Sony. I would have gone with JVC the first time out, but three years ago their projectors were not well rated for 3D. This time out, they are.

Ron, are you keeping the old projector or selling it?

Unfortunately, the depreciation is pretty extreme for most video/electronic gear but if you did sell I’d image you’d at least cover the cost of the new emitter, glasses and mounting plate.

I would like to sell my Sony. I still haven't gone through the first bulb and I have a second one for it. I just don't want to go through the hassle of boxing it up (I don't have the original packaging) and trying to sell it on eBay. I don't even know what to ask for it. At this point, I may just hand it down to my brother.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The latest report from JVC is that this new line of projectors will not be released into the wild until early November. There aren't even review units out there so essentially I am buying this blindly. However, JVC has a phenomenal reputation and I don't worry about a purchase before a review.

Could have gone back to a Sony projector. However, JVC is supposed to have much better blacks. I think JVC has always been a better projector choice over Sony. I would have gone with JVC the first time out, but three years ago their projectors were not well rated for 3D. This time out, they are.

I would like to sell my Sony. I still haven't gone through the first bulb and I have a second one for it. I just don't want to go through the hassle of boxing it up (I don't have the original packaging) and trying to sell it on eBay. I don't even know what to ask for it. At this point, I may just hand it down to my brother.

I hear you on the hassle of trying to sell old gear.

As insane as it sounds, I have two old JVC projectors that I always intended to sell but haven’t gotten around to moving. An RS-4810 and and RS-57. I left a lot of money on the table by not selling them years ago, but I still need to motivate myself to sell them. I’m hoping to finally do it this Fall. I figure whatever money I get by selling them now, however little, is still more than I get by not selling.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm looking for any informed input I can get here. I've been trying to decide which 4K projector should replace my venerable Panny PT-AE8000 for awhile now. Sony's models never really resonated with me but I have been watching JVC's models VERY closely for the past year or so. I thought I was close to going with their DLA-RS540 but then JVC threw me [us?] an Oppo level curve ball with their new native 4K line. Fine. I zeroed in on the JVC RS 2000 from this batch of offerings but I am not convinced I need to spend that much based on the following concerns.

1. My current Panny is rated at 2400 lumens. Both of the aforementioned JVC models are rated at 1900. My room is light controlled so I don't know if I need to be concerned about this. I love 3D though, so I'm a little reluctant to sacrifice brightness which I have read is inherent in native 4K designs.
  2. My main reasons for considering an upgrade are HDR support and IP control via on board Ethernet. The latter can be had with current 1080P offerings but the former cannot. Resolution is last on my list. My Panny looks great with proper 1080P content.
  3. Based on JVC's prices for their E-Shift 5 line I've been looking at some of the lower priced "pixel shifters." I'm now wondering if the Epson Pro Cinema 4050 might not be a better option. The MSRP is VERY compelling, especially considering the extras. For the price of the JVC RS 2000 one could procure Epson's laser-sourced LS10500 albeit with even lower lumens.
Basically, what I'm saying is, "someone stop me before I buy the Epson." Or should I go ahead and pull the trigger on it?

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
If you sell your old one, you can just get a box for it at UPS and put styrofoam peanuts in there with it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My impression is that if HDR is a priority and your budget allows, you should shop the $4000+ projectors.

My advice is that if you aren't an absolute nut over this stuff: wait til 2019 or 2020. HDR is great fun but it's not really up to the best that is available on an OLED yet. No regrets over my purchase but I'm a nut.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My impression is that if HDR is a priority and your budget allows, you should shop the $4000+ projectors.
Thanks Dave. It's not a budget thing. For me it's value. I don't mind spending money when the situation calls for it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My advice is that if you aren't an absolute nut over this stuff: wait til 2019 or 2020. HDR is great fun but it's not really up to the best that is available on an OLED yet. No regrets over my purchase but I'm a nut.

Thanks Sam. I was thinking about your experience when I wrote the relevant post. The market just keeps changing. E-Shift 5 was fine by all accounts and then JVC decided to [basically] abandon it. Now they're offering native 4K. I doubt I could tell the difference in a blind test.

Decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks