1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

4k Projectors Buyers and Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I only wish it worked with the app. Otherwise I need nothing else.

2. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    I use the Andriod version almost daily. Granted, it's not elegant or robust but it does work for the basics. Are you using the IOS version? I have no experience with that one.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I mean, the Audyssey app, which I don’t think is on the 7702.

But I should get the remote app; that would be useful at times. Save me the trouble of finding batteries for the actual remote when I need it. :)

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Still sitting here deciding.

I would suppose I have at least another two weeks until the preorder price on the JVC is gone.

Right now I am going through GAME OF THRONES on Blu-ray. It looks fantastic on my 110" screen in 1080p.

Do I really want to spend $6k on a 4k projector right now? If I wait another year either the prices will come down more or the technology will get better.

I wish I had a good argument either way.

Will let you know in two weeks what I decide.

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think that’s a good argument right there for waiting - you’re happy with how your content looks on your current setup, and the upgrade will be cheaper next year and potentially with better technology too.

Sean Bryan and John Dirk like this.
  6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    DaveF’s First Law of Technology Shopping: The best time to buy is always tomorrow.

John Dirk and Josh Steinberg like this.
  7. Race Bannon

Race Bannon Supporting Actor

Jay
    I'm waiting until everything feels "just right" in terms of quality, price, and timing. Because, as you say, my set up looks AMAZING to my eye right now, and when I get a new projector I will also have to get a new pre-processor, and a new blu-ray player. So I may as well just enjoy the heck out of my set up another year (and repeat the process every year until I just can't resist).

I'm going on 4 years with this equipment set-up (there some speaker upgrades), and it still feels perfect.

(If my projector were to go out, that might speed up the process)

8. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    Correct. Seems like Marantz could fix that if they wanted but I guess it's probably a licensing issue with Audyssey. Even so, I've heard some very mixed reviews on how useful it is.

DaveF likes this.
  9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Good tip :) I found and installed the current Marantz iOS app. I then used it to go update the firmware to the new release. And now my 7702mkII is 4K compatible for whenever I can use that.

John Dirk likes this.
  10. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I actually now have the $7k needed to preorder the upcoming JVC RS-2000.

I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on it.

It's a lot of money to spend. I don't even know how much better my projected images are going to look.

Then I read articles like this one (thanks to Andrew Melomet for sending it to me):

https://www.projectorcentral.com/projector-news.cfm?entry_id=758&em

As I sit and watch GAME OF THRONES projected on Blu-ray, I am pretty damn satisfied with the picture.

Unless someone really puts forward a valid argument for spending $7k on the JVC, I am just going to sit and wait another year to see what I can get for that money next year.

John Dirk and DaveF like this.
  11. Message #331 of 382 Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Totally understand, Ron. Prices are almost 30% to 50% down from two years ago and performance is said to e much improved too. But $7k is a huge chunk of money to blind buy a new projector.

I’m enjoying my HD projector, and doing planning and research for a hopeful 4K Fall 2019 upgrade.

And with 100 unwatched blu-rays I bought with my current projector I’m not really in a rush to want to buy new UHD media. :)

Sam Posten likes this.
  12. Race Bannon

Race Bannon Supporting Actor

Jay
    I'm waiting. My picture still looks great, and I'll be having to upgrade three other things at the same time.

The longer I wait, the cheaper the technology gets.

John Dirk likes this.
  13. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Hey Ron,

Sorry, I really wanted to try to get more info for you about 3D glasses for the JVC but I’ve been having a busy/stressful time both at work and at home the last couple of weeks.

As far as any complexity about JVC 3D and the type of screen you have, the only reason to even give that any thought is if you want to save money on the glasses and get something other than the official JVC glasses. If using glasses other than original JVC, one would have to look into whether their screen retains polorization and would it work with those glasses. But if you use the official JVC glasses this is a complete non-issue and can be ignored.

I got some feedback from a trusted poster at another forum, and these glasses are a great (and cheap) option IF you don’t need them to match the polarization.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xpand-rechargeable-active-rf-bluetooth-3d-glasses-black/7005006.p?skuId=7005006

If you were going with the original JVC glasses, then the dealer you are buying from would be able to set that up. I think the MSRP is around $180? per pair.

Another option for the equivalent of JVC originals that save a little money would be these:

https://www.hi-shock.de/en/detail/index/sArticle/301/number/SW10052

They ship to the US and I think the price works out to be about $150.

As far as going with one of the new JVC native 4K projectors this year, its hard to say for sure what your impression would be since production units aren’t out yet and impressions by those that have seen the unfinished demo units are limited.

I think that if someone was really itching to get something new this year, buy a first projector, or had to replace a dying projector the these new JVCs would be a great option. But if you are happy with your current set-up, it may not be a bad idea to wait another year.

The potential benefits of waiting another year would be that since this is a completely new chassis and design from the ground up, there may be some quirks that get ironed out or improved for next year’s model. Also, over this next year there will be a huge amount of impressions and feedback from owners of actual production units, so you can get a better idea of what to expect. You may also be able to arrange an actual demo of a well set up
    unit during that time as well. And there’s also the likelihood that some of the specs (like brightness and native contrast) could be further improved in next year’s models with possibly a slightly lower price. Maybe.

I’ve been tempted to get one of these, but considering the native contrast I’m used to with my RS600 I’d only be considering the RS3000. But I am happy with the RS600 (always room for improvement, of course) enough to wait another year for the reasons I listed above.

If my projector wasn’t able to handle 4K HDR in a satisfying way I’d be more likely to jump now. With the discount from preordering, if you were to sell it next Fall to buy the “new and improved” model, there would likely be minimal financial loss.

Waiting if comfortable with what you have now is simpler though.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  14. Message #334 of 382 Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Sean,

I appreciate all the research you have done for me. I can't thank you enough. I am truly blessed have such great members of this forum willing to help each other out.

Today is the day I will decide. Time is running short on the JVC preorder price.

I have the money. I can do it. However, it will leave me cash-strapped for some time. It's almost financial suicide for someone who is planning to retire in less than 9 months.

However, that being said, the money won't be there when I retire. I'll want to retire knowing I have a state-of-the-art projector in place that should last me a very long time.

I think I'll be doing something very stupid later today. I'll let you know if I become the village idiot.

And, if I do, I suppose I ought to go broke and get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pk-ag1-b-Glasses-Brightness-projectors-optional/dp/B00TJ9G8AO/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_23_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0BZBGCSA4RN33YASXGJT

Unless I am wrong, you need the emitter as JVC projectors don't come with them. These glasses, as expensive as they are, should also solve any polarization issues that may come up due to an incompatible screen.

Am I right on this?

EDIT: The Amazon link is for an older model of emitter and glasses. I need to find out if they will work with the new projector. I can't spend the money JVC wants for the newest iteration of their glasses and emitter.

15. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    With 8K televisions now on the market,does this mean that 8k discs will follow?

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I seriously doubt it.

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    If you can afford a projector now, you can afford a projector in a year, after you’ve retired.

And if you shouldn’t afford it next year after retirement, you shouldn’t afford it now.

Don’t let Present Ron give Future Ron financial heart palpitations over a few more pixels. Projectors aren’t going anywhere. They’ll be here next year, and cheaper and better still.

Whatever you decide, enjoy! :)

John Dirk and Josh Steinberg like this.
  18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    And now I am having second thoughts and thinking about going with the Sony 385ES instead.

Why?

I already own the 3D emitter. I already own compatible glasses. To upgrade to the JVC emitter and glasses would cost me plenty and I want the ones that specifically compensate for polarization issues.

I just need to research what I am gaining with the JVC projector over the Sony 385ES.

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Last year’s eShift JVC generally was preferred over the 385. And it cost less. This year’s JVC RS2000 is true 4K. General, early opinions are JVC is winning over Sony projectors.

If that 385 is bargain priced, maybe. But if it’s still last year’s pricing, I’d think long and hard about that choice.

Sean Bryan likes this.
  20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Admittedly, I’ve given up on 3D.