What's new

4k Projectors Buyers and Owners Thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have nothing against eShift. But my guess is that the $2500 class Epson will disappoint if you’re interested in HDR content and have the budget to go beyond that.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My advice is that if you aren't an absolute nut over this stuff: wait til 2019 or 2020. HDR is great fun but it's not really up to the best that is available on an OLED yet. No regrets over my purchase but I'm a nut.
Sure. Best time to buy is always tomorrow.

But projectors always lag direct display. How long did it take for HD projectors to start approaching plasma contrast from 2008? Have they even gotten there a decade on?

There’s a bigger problem that, from what I’ve read, UHD is industry designed for direct displays and they just said F’em to projector owners. It may be 2025 before we’ve really got laser-based, high brightness, high contrast 4K projectors under $5000.

I guess what I’m trying to sort out is: if you’re a projector owner, do you not go 4K at all until 2020? Can you go UHD for casual viewing in the living room but stay with a 2016 HD projector for the awesome media room? Or buy when you can and know that it’s fluid and you better start saving anew to re-upgrade sooner than later? Maybe buy entry-level 4K projector to start and save to upgrade again in a few years?

I don’t know. The more I research, the more I think the 4K UHD is a consumer-hostile world in a fundamental way. Or rather, was a hot mess of design by committee with no one really caring about implementation.

It’s all very confusing as a projector owner. :/

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

I agree with you 100%

It sucks being a projector owner.

I did not plan to jump into 4k projection. What changed my mind was these new JVC projectors. They pretty much brought to the table everything I had hoped for at a reachable price point.

Will they get better than they are now? Of course. However, I think I am making a very solid purchase. Sure, I want laser projection, but those prices won't come down for years to come. By that time, it's on to a new format and this starts all over again.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep. And for all my confusion, I’m hoping to upgrade next year. This year would be ok too, hardware wise, but my finances and SAF aren’t ready in 2018.

Satish Tummala

Auditioning
Real Name
Satish Tummala
This is exactly why I'm strongly considering the Epson Pro Cimena 4050.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Panasonic AE-8000U projector. I'm considering the JVC NX5 however, the unit is likely too large for my motorized projector lift. However, the JVC 790 with eShift5 does fit and is in the mid $3000 range. I'm seriously wondering if the extra $2500 on top of the 790 for native 4K is even worth it. Am I better off just upgrading to the 790, living with very good eShift5 for 2 years, then buying the NX5 replacement down the road.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Sure. Best time to buy is always tomorrow.

But projectors always lag direct display. How long did it take for HD projectors to start approaching plasma contrast from 2008? Have they even gotten there a decade on?

Other than OLED, there is no flat panel that has the native contrast of JVC's RS540 and 640 4K e-shifters (which far exceed any plasma ever made). I suspect that may be the case with the upcoming RS2000 and RS3000 too.

The best contrast plasma was the Pioneer Kuro which was in the 50,000:1 native neighborhood if I recall. The RS540 and 640 can theoretically reach up to 130,000:1 to 160,000:1. But it also depends on the iris setting and most are getting 80,000 to 100,000:1 with SDR in typical set-ups. I once had an RS500 and was getting around 100,000:1 measured with the Klein K10 at the lens. I also owned a Panasonic VT60 plasma once which was very good, but well below that (thinking 35,000:1 or something - it's been a while).

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm in the same boat. I have a Panasonic AE-8000U projector. I'm considering the JVC NX5 however, the unit is likely too large for my motorized projector lift. However, the JVC 790 with eShift5 does fit and is in the mid $3000 range. I'm seriously wondering if the extra $2500 on top of the 790 for native 4K is even worth it. Am I better off just upgrading to the 790, living with very good eShift5 for 2 years, then buying the NX5 replacement down the road.
There's no right answer; it depends on your priorities and budget.

If you want to stay under $5000 and you can get a JVC 790 for $3000-ish I think the answer is yes, get that. <Insert Futurama-Fry meme "Shut up and take my money!"> I think the DLA-X790R is the DLA-RS540U with an MSRP of $5999.

The DLA-X590R / DLA-RS440U has an MSRP of $3999, and I understood that as this year's mid-range "bargain" best buy.

So, if I've got the model numbers right, and you can get the 540U equivalent for 40% to 50% off MSRP, I think that's superb option. Maybe others can fact check me, make sure I'm not mixing up the models and their clones. :)

Satish Tummala

Auditioning
Real Name
Satish Tummala
Yes you are correct. I had meant to say the JVC 590R. One thing, am I correct in thinking that the 590R has lens memory for CIH setups like the Panasonic 8000U does? What’s the difference between the 540 and 590R?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t offhand which has lens memory.

I think the RS540 / X790 are identical as are the RS440 / X590. More money buys more contrast, better lens, maybe brighter output, IIRC.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm in the same boat. I have a Panasonic AE-8000U projector. I'm considering the JVC NX5 however, the unit is likely too large for my motorized projector lift. However, the JVC 790 with eshift5 does fit and is in the mid $3000 range. I'm seriously wondering if the extra $2500 on top of the 790 for native 4K is even worth it. Am I better off just upgrading to the 790, living with very good eShift5 for 2 years, then buying the NX5 replacement down the road.
JVC is seriously confusing me with all of their new models. I was all aboard with eshift5 tech and then they introduced their native 4K line. Our Panny's are still the top dogs for 1080P as far as I can tell. I think I'm gonna wait this one out.

Satish Tummala

Auditioning
Real Name
Satish Tummala
I ended up purchasing a DLA-X790R for $3850. It JUST fit into my projector lift, phew!

Anyhow, coming from the Panasonic PT-AE8000U, what a brightness difference! Yes the 2400 lumen Panasonic (is measured in the dynamic mode with all controls maxed) is not even close to the rated 1900 lumen JVC. As expected, from multiple sources, to never trust a manufacturer's claims and relive many pros claims that "there's more to it than lumens".

Thanks for the info and input on this forum.

I want to replace my existing Da-Lite Tensioned Contour Electrol projection screen with something else. The Da-Lite has a bad sticky screen phenomena. My screen fits into a recess in the ceiling and I only have roughly 7"x6" opening to mount the case. Does the new Da-Lite HD Progressive 1.3 screen material leech plasticizers like older screens? How about a Stewart screen alternative or any other brand suggestions?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I do know a little about Da-Lite screens. My first was a .09 JKP Affinity screen, installed in 2010, became very sticky. Upon trying to clean a bug spot, it got ruined. Da-Lite gave me a deal and I purchased a .09 HD Progressive screen and it's lasted almost 2 years now...and is not sticky...just checked.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Anyhow, coming from the Panasonic PT-AE8000U, what a brightness difference! Yes the 2400 lumen Panasonic (is measured in the dynamic mode with all controls maxed) is not even close to the rated 1900 lumen JVC. As expected, from multiple sources, to never trust a manufacturer's claims and relive many pros claims that "there's more to it than lumens".

Thanks a million!!! Just the type of information I needed as I was worried about brightness with the JVC models compared to the Panasonic PT-AE8000.

jason4vu

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Should be a lot of good deals on used ivc projectors now and in the near future. I preordered the new JVC NX9(patiently waiting)and will be selling my JVC RS500 once it arrives

Satish Tummala

Auditioning
Real Name
Satish Tummala
I got it brand new shipped for $3850. I have a wholesale account through my business from distributors that also sell JVC. However, I've seen them readily available for around $4100 without much effort from large retail outlets.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, you may remember, I did purchase a JVC 4k projector back in October.

Thing is, JVC has halted production due to some sort of issue they found in manufacturing.

Their new line of projectors will not be shipping until early 2019. Perhaps as late as March of next year.

So, I am a little unhappy on this end that I won't be spending my Christmas vacation watching 4k in my home theater.

On the other hand, I would rather JVC fix all the bugs and issues before shipping out their product.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Whoa! I hadn’t heard that! I’ve been expecting reviews to drop soon and wondered what the delay was.

I guess that’s the risk of pre-release purchasing, and why the discount is so good. I’ll keep this in mind for my hopeful future purchase.

Bummer you’re not getting the projector in time for holiday vacation, etc. that’s a real disappointment.

jason4vu

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Yeah....I preordered the NX9 and trying to be patient. Glad I didn’t sale my rs500 yet

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks