4k Projectors Buyers and Owners Thread

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Looking for some advice on 4K 3D projectors.
Next year I'm considering upgrading my Epson 5010 to a 4K 3D model.
I'd like to keep the price point somewhere around $3,000 if possible and in addition to the "usual" pluses in the 4K vs 3K units, I've got to have a lens memory. I need to switch from 2:35 to 1:85 without having to manually zoom the lens and position it left then right and up and down until it fits my screen. This is very important.
Recommendations anyone?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
JVC has stated they will have one of their new 4K PJs for my PVA Training class in Vegas, for Jan 12-13th. So hopefully very soon for wide spread distribution.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I must say that for the first time, I’ve encountered an HDR fail with my Epson 5040UB projector. We’ve recently been working our way through the Harry Potter films in 4K HDR and for the 4th film, Goblet of Fire, the Epson couldn’t properly show the scene where Harry has a duel with Voldemort. The ghostly figures of Harry’s parents were completely blown out white blobs with no details. Now the projector has 4 HDR settings, HDR1 (brightest) to HDR4 (darkest). Switching to HDR4 fixed it partially as you could then make out some of the features, but that setting is way too dark to use for an entire movie. I guess in some cases projectors just can’t properly display extreme HDR effects. So for this movie at least I am forced to disable HDR.

Last edited:

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As a prospective projector 4K upgrader, should I care about HDMI 2.1 being on the cusp of release in devices in 2019, and maybe being a year away for projectors?

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Ronald Epstein What's the word on your NX7 being delivered? I'm reading they're starting to show up, albeit in very small numbers. Do you have a date from your dealer yet? I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about your 4k projector.

Reactions: John Dirk

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
@Ronald Epstein What's the word on your NX7 being delivered? I'm reading they're starting to show up, albeit in very small numbers. Do you have a date from your dealer yet? I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about your 4k projector.

Haven't heard anything yet.

I am first on the list from my dealer.

I suspect I will hear something in the next two weeks. Wasn't anticipating receiving the projector until the end of January.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m following early discussion on the initial deliveries. Despite some early quirks, they’re sounding pretty great.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Keep me posted on what people are saying.
Basically, the initial (top end) NX9/RS3000 has imperfect pixel level resolution, underperforms on contrast significantly compared to specs, and its production firmware broke dynamic iris functionality (firmware since updated and fixed the DI and improved the pixel resolution). And the 8k eShift is garbage and should never have been even included as a hardware feature.

But people are also stating that in practical use, it looks great. The NX7/R2000 has maybe one delivery and that owner is excited about it in actual viewing. The integrated HDR->SDR tone mapping function is getting great initial feedback, though TBD if it's preferable to letting a Panasonic UHD player do the job.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Well, I hope your search for an installer ends quickly for you. Otherwise, it's going to drive you crazy with anticipation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Remember all the times I posted on this forum that I would never go with 4k projection due to cost?

Boy, that turned out to go my way. :oops:
As HT enthusiasts, it's what we do. Right now, I'm battling my urge to upgrade my 3060 Yamaha receiver to a Denon 8500 or Marantz 8012 or 8805 pre-amp. Thankfully, the cost is so high, it's holding me back from making such an investment in a piece of equipment that I really don't need at this time. Now, if I was still working and not retired then chances are I would've bought one of them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Remember all the times I posted on this forum that I would never go with 4k projection due to cost?

Boy, that turned out to go my way. :oops:
I get it, though - you ended up with a 4K TV, loved the look of it, and wanted to emulate that with your projection setup. It wasn’t a blind buy but an informed decision. And you were probably right to wait until you saw 4K at home to make that decision.

I found myself in a similar situation recently where I had to get a 4K TV. I ended up having the opposite reaction - I thought it was perfectly nice but it hasn’t triggered the upgrade itch for my projector yet. But whenever my (HD) projector reaches the end of its life, hopefully not for a long, long time, 4K will be next for me.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gil Jones